Gransnet forums

Chat

When was your last cuddle?

(94 Posts)
Daftbag1 Thu 02-Jul-20 21:04:25

When did you last have a cuddle, and be held tight?
I was just thinking, I'd love my husband to hold me tight and make me feel safe from the world. He won't, not because he doesn't love me, he does, but because he's not a 'cuddles' person. Neither of us are physically demonstrative, we missed out on the cuddles as children, and grew up two damaged souls. Just occasionally, I really wish I could be held tight, not in a sexual way, but just a 'let go of all my worries', way, to feel that I don't have the world on my shoulders!

NannyC2 Fri 03-Jul-20 15:41:33

This morning. I love cuddles!

Greyduster Fri 03-Jul-20 16:19:58

My mother, father and siblings were not in any way tactile people. I never saw my father and mother having even a minor affectionate exchange. DH and I are very affectionate with each other most of the time, and my son is not afraid to hug either of us. My daughter will, but not to the same extent, even though she was very affectionate as a child. My grandson is the champion hugger in our family though! All this keeping one’s distance is from Nanny and Grandad is driving him potty!!

susandevon53 Fri 03-Jul-20 17:09:12

I’m desperate to have a cuddle with my grandson,really hard to restrain myself from cuddling him,this for me is the worst thing about COVID 19.

grumppa Fri 03-Jul-20 17:31:01

Is there a qualitative or quantitative difference between a cuddle and a hug?

Even after social distancing, I shall run a mile from manhugs!

Davida1968 Fri 03-Jul-20 18:23:35

This morning, with DH. (Isn't a cuddle simply a longer lasting hug?)

CherryCezzy Fri 03-Jul-20 18:59:17

A few minutes ago, but it was more a cwtch than a cuddle.

bobbydog24 Fri 03-Jul-20 19:59:16

My parents weren’t tactile at all, neither were my husbands family but we were huggers. My son hated it if I tried to hug him but daughter was and still is a great hugger. I miss my lovely husbands hugs, he died in August last year but the hugs (nuggles) I get from my grandchildren now we’re in a bubble are the most precious thing in my life. Hugs say so much without a word spoken.

SueDoku Fri 03-Jul-20 20:09:50

I'm a very huggy person - as a family my AC and I have always tended to hug when meeting and parting - as do most of my friends.
I live alone, and the last time I touched another human being - even a touch of hands - was March 19th, when I hugged my DD & DGC for ages before coming home to go into lockdown...?
I can't tell you how l long to hug my AC and the DGC again - but as one is in healthcare and the other teaching, they are in contact with many people, so it's been Skype calls several times a week, and will be for some time... ??
I was sitting in my friend's garden last week and she said, 'It seems so strange not to hug you' and we gazed at each other sadly. I hope that hugs are back soon..!

jerseygirl Fri 03-Jul-20 20:58:28

My gorgeous, wonderful, love you to the moon and back Grandson today!!! lovely. Making up for lost time

Daftbag1 Fri 03-Jul-20 21:45:27

I think that in a way knowing that I'm not alone does help. And I'm lucky I have a doggy who thinks she's my baby, she hugs me as much as she can.
DH and I used to hold hands but I'm now using two crutches so difficult!

Bluecat Fri 03-Jul-20 22:04:10

My DH gives me random hugs, though he is not much of a hugger in general. I've had to nudge him to hug family members when they are upset.

Last time I hugged my elder DD and three of her kids was January, before they flew back to the USA after a short visit. Eldest DGS couldn't come, so the last time I hugged him was August 2014, when they were emigrating.

I miss cuddles from my younger DD's kids, though I did risk a first cuddle this week with the baby, now 3 months old. It was lovely, though I was wearing a mask and gloves.

Most of all, I want to hug my younger DD. She has always been very tactile - if she got upset when she was little, she used to cry "I must have a hug!" She is going through a tough time at the moment, for one reason or another, and I would love to give her a big hug. This virus has made everything so much harder xxx

Lizbethann55 Fri 03-Jul-20 22:27:06

All the time. We are a very touchy family. In fact DH hangs on to me like grim death in bed. I sometimes wonder where he thinks I am going to go! I think he must have had a teddy bear when he was little and I am a replacement. My children are very huggy too and I desperately miss hugging them and particularly my two little grandchildren. We see them at a social distance but I do miss cuddling them. The younger one really doesn't understand. And I know my eldest DD really wants a cuddle from her mum as she is very unhappy just now and we have lots of talks and cuddles when she needs them.

Tallyann1 Fri 03-Jul-20 22:54:27

No hugs as a child..hubby the same but we’ve made up for it since with each our kids grandchildren now ggd.. not to mention wider family and friends colleagues etc, my last cuddle was 10 mins ago..oh I forgot we hug the dog too , she insists!!

Minerva Fri 03-Jul-20 23:20:58

When my grandson went to bed at 7pm. He has to have a nanny cuddle before he goes up to bed then half an hour cuddles with books with mummy. I have the great good fortune to be ‘staying safe’ with them.

FunOma Fri 03-Jul-20 23:59:00

Just ask for one and see how that goes. Sometimes it takes time to get used to the idea again.
I am 63 and my husband and I have always liked cuddles, but at times we ask "Can I have a hug" and that works too.

albertina Sat 04-Jul-20 08:36:37

I hugged my daughter just before I got into my friend's car for the 400 mile trip home after shielding with her for 3 months. It's a long time to be under a different roof and there were some fall outs but mostly it was fine. I feel very lucky to have been protected.

I am divorced so have no husband any more so I hug my little dog.

I miss hugging my friends. Hugging is important.

TerriBull Sat 04-Jul-20 09:13:51

We saw our grandchildren yesterday, first time since the lockdown, put our arms round their shoulders in a more restrained way than usual. Also sad couldn't hug my son who lives 50 miles away when he and girlfriend came to stay a week or so ago. Yes we always did greet family members and close friends with a hug. Glad at least husband and I can give each other reciprocal hugs.

grant1 Mon 06-Jul-20 02:43:19

Have you told him you would like a cuddle? Maybe he just doesn't realize how much it means to you? We can all learn new things and learning to hug might just be one of the best. I'm not super huggy but an occasional hug is nice. Maybe it's something you two can work on bit by bit? Just start out with a hug and practice, practice, practice till your comfortable.