Gransnet forums

Chat

£500 to spend.

(150 Posts)
annsixty Mon 06-Jul-20 12:56:28

It is my day for starting threads so be kind to me.
I saw in a few newspaper reports over the last 2days, suggestions that the Chancellor should give every adult in the country £500 to spend to kick start the economy.
If this were to happen, how would you spend yours?
I have absolutely no idea.

EllanVannin Mon 06-Jul-20 16:04:13

I think they've done this in Australia, or they're going to do it if I remember rightly.
It depends what the restrictions would be and where you can spend it.

Oopsadaisy3 Mon 06-Jul-20 16:04:51

I agree with gillybob my DD would need it to pay her rent and food bill, she is self employed and isn’t allowed to go back to work yet, she couldn’t justify spending £500 on (what to her) would be luxuries.

gillybob Mon 06-Jul-20 16:08:06

But how silly would that be merlot ? I would be forced to spend money in places I might not need (or want) to spend money . Lets face it those who can afford regular meals out will still have them won' t they ? The £500 won't make a jot of difference to them. Imagine giving £500 to someone on the breadline and then restricting where they can spend it ? Seems grossly unfair .

PinkCakes Mon 06-Jul-20 16:09:12

I tend to spend quite a lot online, but IF I was given £500 to spend, I'd go out with the family for a few meals.

gillybob Mon 06-Jul-20 16:09:28

Exactly oopsadaisy .

Doodledog Mon 06-Jul-20 16:14:59

I can understand why you think that, gillybob; but in a way the scheme is meant to put government money where people want to spend it. If enough people want a business to survive, they will spend the vouchers there, and not at places that they see as less important. It's basically giving the public the chance to spread the Covid support money as they think appropriate, and as it is taxpayers' money, giving them that chance (and the chance to buy something for themselves) is a good way of doing it.

gillybob Mon 06-Jul-20 16:23:08

It's basically giving the public the chance to spread the Covid support money as they think appropriate

Except it isn't Doodledog .

By restricting where the money can be spent there will be a lot of very rich people feeding the businesses selling luxury goods or providing luxury services, when at the other end of the scale those struggling to make ends meet will be at a complete loss as to what to do with theirs.

........and who decides which companies have been affected by Covid ?

Victoria Beckhams luxury brand?
Costa coffee?
John Lewis ?
Jimmy's cafe ?

shysal Mon 06-Jul-20 16:48:58

I would put it towards a new bathroom suite, using a local family business.

merlotgran Mon 06-Jul-20 16:49:15

Wouldn't 'face to face' retail benefit you, gilly?

Surely, it won't be aimed solely at high end stores?

threexnanny Mon 06-Jul-20 16:52:19

If you don't usually eat out then what you save on supermarket bills could go towards other bills. Not as satisfactory as having the actual cash but still a gain of sorts.

Kate1949 Mon 06-Jul-20 16:55:40

I would use it at my hair clinic. I am desperate for them to stay in business. They are local. Alopecia is a nightmare. They have literally saved my life.

EllanVannin Mon 06-Jul-20 17:07:27

I don't eat out for starters but I'd like a new carpet for my living room.

janeainsworth Mon 06-Jul-20 17:09:34

Gilly has your business had no help from the Government? No staff furloughed for example?
I doubt very much that the vouchers will be valid for high-end luxury goods like V Beckham.
As for John Lewis, if that is included in the scheme, quite ordinary people work there & will suffer if many of the stores close - JL have already said that they’re not going to reopen all their branches.

Doodledog Mon 06-Jul-20 17:59:07

I'm sure that people who don't like the idea will be able to opt out.

I still think that giving people a choice of where their taxes are spent (as opposed to a blanket funding of failing businesses) is an imaginative idea, and will benefit those who are less well off as well as the rich, whereas a lot of government initiatives are inclined to favour one group or the other. In the end, it doesn't matter if people buy five expensive scented candles, or put the money towards an item of furniture they really need - the money isn't a present, it is a boost to the local economy, which consists of all sorts of different ventures. If the people in the candle shop lose their jobs they will cost as much in benefits as those working in less exclusive outlets, and the human cost will also be the same.

I'm assuming that the vouchers will be valid for local businesses, so people will have different options in different areas. Maybe not, though. I'm less concerned about the fine detail than I am impressed with the fact that the money will go back to the taxpayer. It's definitely a populist move, and one that is only possible because of the historically low interest rates we have just now, but for once I approve of a Tory initiative as it (on the face of what we know so far) will benefit everyone one way or another.

annodomini Mon 06-Jul-20 18:01:41

Tickets for theatrical and operatic productions should take care of quite a lot of it.

vegansrock Mon 06-Jul-20 18:19:13

If we could spend it on local services like decorators , gardeners or beauty salons who weren’t able to work until recently I’d like to employ them. A meal out would be good too. I think it’s actually a good idea and better than just giving them money to do nothing.

GrannyGravy13 Mon 06-Jul-20 18:26:39

I would spend the vouchers in local gift shops (Birthday and Christmas gifts) and local tea rooms and restaurants that are not part of a chain ?☕️?

Lucca Mon 06-Jul-20 18:53:18

I’d possibly have my flat redecorated which would employ somebody and please me!

Millie22 Mon 06-Jul-20 19:05:19

Wow I love this idea but I'm sure it will never happen. I'd probably use it to help my daughter pay for her childcare and get my dripping tap sorted.

gillybob Mon 06-Jul-20 22:34:10

I think if this scheme were to work fairly . Then everyone should be given the absolute choice where to spend their money .

And to answer your question JaneA I have furloughed 2 employees . One came back (to help me with the technical stuff) within 2 weeks, the other (reluctantly) part time this week .....( was happily enjoying 80% wages) Myself and my DH have had zero ( that’s a big fat 0 ) income for 17 weeks . Personally I now owe 3 months Council tax and mortgage on my home , and 3 months rent on our unit . I have paid my employees pensions from my own overdraft .

So quite frankly if I couldn’t use my £500 to pay some of my own personal debts or do a bl**dy Asda shop I think this scheme stinks .

gillybob Mon 06-Jul-20 22:36:54

Meant to add that without the furlough scheme 2 of my employees would have been made redundant and I would have let our SME of 26 years go down the pan.

gillybob Mon 06-Jul-20 22:44:43

I’m not sure many people “get” the snobbery that surrounds being told where and how they should spend their money .

If I chose to spend a windfall of £500 as payment towards my fuel bills or my council tax should I not be allowed to ? Others more fortunate may choose to spend their windfall on a posh meal out or an new dress , should they not be allowed to ?

gillybob Mon 06-Jul-20 22:45:17

Sorry for the rants. Goodnight x

annodomini Mon 06-Jul-20 22:47:21

Did this rumour emanate from the Treasury or No 10? If it turns out to be 'fake news', it has cruelly given too many people false expectations.

Callistemon Mon 06-Jul-20 22:54:45

I'd like a new kitchen so this could be a start! It could pay for the tiles perhaps.

I think they did something like this in Australia, annsixty and their government may be planning something similar again.