Gransnet forums

Chat

£500 to spend.

(150 Posts)
annsixty Mon 06-Jul-20 12:56:28

It is my day for starting threads so be kind to me.
I saw in a few newspaper reports over the last 2days, suggestions that the Chancellor should give every adult in the country £500 to spend to kick start the economy.
If this were to happen, how would you spend yours?
I have absolutely no idea.

Callistemon Tue 07-Jul-20 14:28:46

Sys2ad2
it will only be given to unemployed, furloughed and non workers so i will not be eligible. Crazy idea they will go to the beach and pubs stopping locals going out again

How very shocking that those who may need it most should get it. shock
Many furloughed people may also become the unemployed too.

Callistemon Tue 07-Jul-20 14:29:51

Callistemon

Sys2ad2
it will only be given to unemployed, furloughed and non workers so i will not be eligible. Crazy idea they will go to the beach and pubs stopping locals going out again

How very shocking that those who may need it most should get it. shock
Many furloughed people may also become the unemployed too.

And, of course, some who are being furloughed at the moment may find that, if people spend this money on local services and businesses, their jobs may be saved.

Poppyred Tue 07-Jul-20 14:37:24

If it’s only for the furloughed why is everyone getting their knickers in a twist?
Wait and see ......

Callistemon Tue 07-Jul-20 14:39:35

Having no expectations means you are rarely disappointed.

wink

MawB Tue 07-Jul-20 14:54:25

GagaJo

I’m partially furloughed. Taking NO unnecessary risks. I’d order a takeaway but not going into restaurants, pubs, cafes.

I thought your contract had ended Gagajo
Who has furloughed you?

MawB Tue 07-Jul-20 15:04:36

How does furloughing work with a foreign employer as it is a U.K. based scheme anyway?

Thecatshatontgemat Tue 07-Jul-20 15:11:08

New washing machine, as mine went "phut" at the very start of lockdown, and l can't afford to replace it just yet.

Doodledog Tue 07-Jul-20 15:32:29

If they could be spent on things like local builders, I have a wall I'm looking at having taken down. If not, then when it's safe to have it done we'll need a new carpet, so if my husband and I get £500 each we can put it towards one or the other of those.

grannybuy Tue 07-Jul-20 17:02:51

We're the go betweens. At least we can get something from it, even if it's not exactly what we want. Let's hope we can use it as locally as possible.

glammagran Tue 07-Jul-20 17:48:46

What about all the people who are managing to save quite a bit of money during lockdown? Perhaps because even with the easing of restrictions many are too afraid still to venture out. We have managed to save money. Mine would go to my daughter who was in the process of exchanging on a property immediately before lockdown and is desperate to move.

merlotgran Tue 07-Jul-20 18:18:11

Will they be transferable?

Saggi Tue 07-Jul-20 18:21:05

Couple of big ceramic pots for the garden ....I can’t justify the cost usually and have plastic ones.

growstuff Tue 07-Jul-20 18:31:50

Jane10

Giving it directly to us cuts out the various committees and middle men which cost a fortune to set up and run who would otherwise have to work out how to disburse it.
Maybe it could just be given to lower tax bracket payers and miss out the very wealthy?

I agree! Make sure it gets to the people who need it by reducing taxes for the lowest paid. It seems a way of directing it to certain industries, such as pubs and restaurants (possibly owned by supporters - or maybe I'm just being cynical).

GagaJo Tue 07-Jul-20 19:45:09

I also work for Cambridge exam board. All exams have been cancelled this year and Cambridge furloughed all examiners automatically.

Incidentally, Switzerland also did a furlough scheme. It was automatic for a lot of workers. I didn't need it because I continued to work.

Kim19 Tue 07-Jul-20 19:47:19

If allowed, I would use it to upgrade my hoped for train journey to 1st class. I've a kind of nervous mental blockage around the use of public transport at the moment but I do know that one of the 'luxuries' is more space between travellers. Not sure if the 2 metre rule would render them equal in tourist class. Strangely enough I don't have similar qualms at the prospect of eating out. I guess that may be due to the fact that I can depart at will. Not so easy on a moving train!

Peardrop50 Tue 07-Jul-20 21:03:36

How lovely to get something for nothing and be able to be a bit frivolous without the usual guilt, because we're kick starting the economy. Ooh some pots for the garden, a take away, perhaps one of those big metal roosters which would look great in my kitchen, a cashmere sweater, greedy moi?

MellowYellow Tue 07-Jul-20 21:24:10

I'd buy 166 Big Issues from as many vendors as possible. I was homeless once, due to a dodgy landlord, just for a short time. Friends took care of me and I was very soon back on my feet, but I'll never forget it. The only thing that stopped me becoming a Big Issue seller was that I have arthritis and can't stand or sit in one spot for long.

Jane10 Tue 07-Jul-20 22:22:47

growstuff the restaurants I'd use my voucher in and very small and certainly not fat cat owners. Our favourite has the husband in the kitchen and wife is the waitress. Only use local produce (and fish).

123kitty Tue 07-Jul-20 22:51:24

I hope hairdressers are on the list - that's where my £500 will go.

Shizam Tue 07-Jul-20 22:53:01

Australia did a similar scheme during the banking crisis of 2006. It worked quite well there, I’m told.

Callistemon Tue 07-Jul-20 23:25:50

I don't think there will be any money!

gillybob Wed 08-Jul-20 08:27:18

Callistemon

I don't think there will be any money!

Me neither Calli it’s just a giant wind up . I’m was getting all hot under the collar for nothing at all. grin

travelsafar Wed 08-Jul-20 08:49:42

If we both got one i would suggest putting towards a new sofa. We are currently waiting for new carpets for lounge, hall, stairs and landing to be laid, so a new sofa would be perfect.

sharon103 Wed 08-Jul-20 13:56:00

Oh well the dream was nice while it lasted. sad..... but at least I'll be able to have new windows. smile