Gransnet forums

Chat

In support of Gransnet

(53 Posts)
AGAA4 Thu 09-Jul-20 15:13:41

I joined Gransnet when I was at a very low point in my life. I asked for support, wondering if anyone would reply and was so thankful to all the lovely GNs who took the time to reply to my cry for help.

I know recently there have been a few problems on GN but I still log in most days and enjoy most of the posts.

I just wanted to say thanks for the help I have been given to all Gnetters.

Whitewavemark2 Thu 09-Jul-20 15:26:50

AGAA4

I joined Gransnet when I was at a very low point in my life. I asked for support, wondering if anyone would reply and was so thankful to all the lovely GNs who took the time to reply to my cry for help.

I know recently there have been a few problems on GN but I still log in most days and enjoy most of the posts.

I just wanted to say thanks for the help I have been given to all Gnetters.

I can understand what you are saying and it is kind of you to show your appreciation.

I have a love/ hate relationship.

I’m not the sort of person to seek help on this sort of forum, but I do appreciate a good debate. I never get the various threads like argy bargy and soops kitchen but understand that people find them fun and chatty. I sometimes feel like a Margo as I simply don’t get the humour.?

On the other hand I can see that it brings solace to people, which whilst I firmly believe should never replace real life I appreciate some folk are on their own and need this support.

On the other hand I spend far too much time on here like today when it’s cold and miserable outside, which I never intend to do. For me it is a dreadful time waster.

lemongrove Thu 09-Jul-20 15:28:11

That’s nice of you Aga ?
I first came to GN about six years ago, looking for info about conservatories, which got built thanks to the ideas I received, and then even recommendations for conservatory furniture.
I decided to stay and have found it a mostly friendly place.
Information, help with problems, hobbies and having a few jokes make it worthwhile.

AGAA4 Thu 09-Jul-20 15:28:52

I am also getting used to other posters and know what to expect from their posts.

lemongrove Thu 09-Jul-20 15:31:32

Also AGA ( forgot to add) I have met so many lovely people through GN at meet ups ( real life meet ups.)

AGAA4 Thu 09-Jul-20 15:39:16

I would like to do that Lemongrove as I have come to like so many of the posters on here.

lemongrove Thu 09-Jul-20 15:41:47

When things get back to normal ( next year?) hopefully you will be able to do that AGA ?

crazyH Thu 09-Jul-20 15:47:29

I echo AGAA 's words - Thankyou to all on GN. I have not been of much help to anyone, but have got so much out of you ?

AGAA4 Thu 09-Jul-20 15:48:21

There are quite a few I would like to meet. I have had some good laughs on here and there is a lot of good common sense from many.

GrannyGravy13 Thu 09-Jul-20 15:48:21

I had lurked for several months, only started posting after the death of my Mum, which is over three years ago.

Have met up in real life with with some posters and made some lovely real friends.

GN on the whole is a lovely online community.

sodapop Thu 09-Jul-20 15:50:54

Nice post AGAA4 I enjoy GN too, lots of interesting and helpful people with a wealth of experience.
Like Whitewave I spend too much time on here even with its ups and downs. Several posters have the same outlook that I do, many don't but that's what makes it interesting.

AGAA4 Thu 09-Jul-20 15:57:18

I don't agree with everyone but it is good to think about and respect the views of others. I have learned a lot.

Chewbacca Thu 09-Jul-20 16:01:50

On balance, GN is good place to hang out; far more positives than negatives. I've made many online friends in the 4 years I've been here, some I've met irl and some I hope to meet shortly.

Charleygirl5 Thu 09-Jul-20 16:06:39

Before lockdown, I was meeting two different lots of GNs for coffee/lunch or whatever each month. Four of us have been meeting very locally I think for over 4 years now and we get along so well but I doubt if our paths would have crossed in "normal" life if that makes sense.

I also spend far too much time on here.

suziewoozie Thu 09-Jul-20 16:12:30

Do you think meeting up in real life changes the dynamics between those who’ve met up? I guess it would. I like the practical advice - I’ve bought tops and a cardigan which I think of as my GN buys. I can’t imagine coming here for emotional support and advice but I understand why people do. I also like the Tv threads as I watch quite different things sometimes from DH and it’s nice to talk about them with someone.

Whitewavemark2 Thu 09-Jul-20 16:15:31

Yes TV threads I’ve seen good stuff as a result of that advice.

Lucca Thu 09-Jul-20 16:16:00

I spend too much time in here too. I often wonder if i actually know anyone in real life !! I sometimes fear I’d be too easy to identify .....

Puzzler61 Thu 09-Jul-20 16:27:29

I joined just about 10 weeks ago so am still a “newbie” but I have found it’s a positive in my life. I have family and friends - but this adds a different dimension. It’s been great so far, thank you all for being so welcoming. ?
From my name you can tell I am always on the word games threads, the Maths class with Miss Marydoll, and Soop’s kitchen. I’m even venturing into the Argy bar as I love the banter in there.
I don’t live alone but I can imagine it has been a real lifeline to many grans who do, especially during lockdown.

Charleygirl5 Thu 09-Jul-20 16:29:06

I would not dream of coming here for emotional support but I enjoy reading the practical advice and many times I have
added my halfpenny worth when related to my past job.

I also have seen TV programmes which were recommended here which I would have missed.

AGAA4 Fri 10-Jul-20 15:13:29

My 'cry for help' was for practical advice and many responded and gave me that help, which I am very grateful for.

The emotional help was given by friends, who I knew well.

Rosalyn69 Fri 10-Jul-20 15:53:28

I’m happy for people who have found support.
I enjoy some of the topics but still feel like an outsider. That said I’d tend to fit in easily to things.

Megs36 Fri 10-Jul-20 19:15:58

RosalynGot to agree, I’ve mentioned before that even after more than a year I still feel like the new girl on GN. Never really had any replies or comments from some of the most popular threads.

FarNorth Fri 10-Jul-20 19:31:47

What a good idea for a thread AGAA4. sunshine

FarNorth Fri 10-Jul-20 19:33:18

Hi Megs36 {I'm waving} smile

Fennel Fri 10-Jul-20 19:33:56

I joined Gransnet in 2013 when a longstanding member had gone missing. I knew of her from another forum I belonged to.
Since then Gransnet has been my daily virtual friend.
Like someone else Charleygirl? I don't often ask for emotional support. But like to join the replies to practical topics.
And occasionally give advice on psychological/ therapeutic topics as that was my occupation years ago.