Gransnet forums

Chat

In support of Gransnet

(54 Posts)
AGAA4 Thu 09-Jul-20 15:13:41

I joined Gransnet when I was at a very low point in my life. I asked for support, wondering if anyone would reply and was so thankful to all the lovely GNs who took the time to reply to my cry for help.

I know recently there have been a few problems on GN but I still log in most days and enjoy most of the posts.

I just wanted to say thanks for the help I have been given to all Gnetters.

Eloethan Sat 11-Jul-20 21:35:37

I think I joined in around 2011/12.

Many of the people who used to post are no longer on the site but it is still a very enjoyable site with lots of interesting discussions. I also enjoy hearing people's views on films, TV and books.

I like the jokes and funny stories too - the ones today from Dinahmo were hilarious.

Faith11 Sat 11-Jul-20 19:58:27

Thank YOU AGAA4. I am so glad that I stumbled on this site. As you say you don't feel so lonely with people to talk to. X

AGAA4 Sat 11-Jul-20 17:10:04

Welcome Faith. I have only been on GN for about 8 months but it has been so good for me because like others I live alone and have found much to interest me.

I find some other posters have similar problems so I don't feel so alone.

I have been pleasantly surprised by the wealth of knowledge of some posters and others who have empathy with anyone struggling.

So again Thank you all!

BlueSky Sat 11-Jul-20 13:43:23

Faith hi yes you will love it most of the time, but honeymoon period so far...grin

Faith11 Sat 11-Jul-20 13:05:16

Wow. Thank you everyone for welcoming me. I am going to love this site. X

Anniebach Sat 11-Jul-20 12:42:55

I am ok Danni thank you x

lovebeigecardigans1955 Sat 11-Jul-20 12:31:10

I enjoy the 'virtual communication' on here, plus it often has sage advice. I spend a lot of time alone so it helps to keep me in touch with the outside world, especially during lockdown. I'm also a sucker for word games and the limericks but I keep out of politics.

DanniRae Sat 11-Jul-20 12:22:50

Good to hear from you Anniebach - I haven't seen any posts from you lately. How are you? smile

Puzzler61 Sat 11-Jul-20 12:06:40

Welcome Faith ?

Charleygirl5 Sat 11-Jul-20 12:02:12

Welcome Faith it will not be long before you have both feet firmly under the table and you can find your way around the threads which interest you.

I found this thread by accident I think in 2012 after I had my right knee replaced. I spend too much time here as you will see by the number of times I put in my pennyworth.

Lucca Sat 11-Jul-20 12:01:54

And welcome to God’s own county Faith !

Chewbacca Sat 11-Jul-20 11:31:19

Faith, there's a very welcoming and friendly thread called Soop's Kitchen; everyone is welcome to drop in and say hello and swap bits of news there. There's also a Good Morning thread that's started off each day by Michael. Posters just pop on to say hello and say what they're doing that day or how they're feeling. Very welcoming and friendly.

Faith11 Sat 11-Jul-20 11:13:12

Thank you Chewbacca. Wow a conversation already. Amazing. X

TrendyNannie6 Sat 11-Jul-20 11:02:36

So glad gransnet helped you AGAA4

Chewbacca Sat 11-Jul-20 11:01:41

Welcome Faith.

Smileless2012 Sat 11-Jul-20 11:01:04

What a lovely thread AGAAsmile. I joined more than 7 years ago when we were first estranged from our son, and posted on the support thread that was running at the time.

I really thought we were the only one's this had ever happened too until I came here and am so grateful for the support I've received and the friendships I've made over the years.

You've given as much as you've received crazyflowers.

Welcome Faith.

Faith11 Sat 11-Jul-20 10:55:25

Good morning. I have just joined today. I moved to Yorkshire just before lockdown so don't really know anyone. My family all live in the south so until the bubble was formed I never saw anyone for 3 months. My granddaughter lives with her parents in Devon and I am so excited that my son is picking me up at the end of the month and I am going to spend a week with them. I just miss conversation so I am so pleased that I found this site by accident. Take care and keep safe everyone. X

Anniebach Sat 11-Jul-20 10:49:51

I can’t recall how many years since I joined but two and half years ago my world fell apart.

I firmly believe many members saved my life

Franbern Sat 11-Jul-20 10:18:54

I joined a few years back, when another forum I used had some over-bearing people running it and several members left. For a time, it was my secondary forum, but in the past couple of years is the one I spend most of my time.

The house selling/buyer thread (now into its SIXTH re-incarnation on the House and Home section, was a total life-line for me last year when I was trying to sell my house and move many miles away to a flat. Got to know so many of those other people on there, and we all held each others hands during those difficult times, and share advice on these matters. Although I am now very happily in my lovely flat - it is still the very first thread I go to each day.

Hopefully, sometime next year, some of us will be actually able to meet up in person.

I used to attend a local Meet-up group where I used to live, and met some lovely and interesting people there. Helped to start similar group locally and we had a couple of meet-ups when it all had to cease. We hope to re-start at end of September.

I do live by myself, and GN has been of great assistance and support to me through these last few months.

Grammaretto Sat 11-Jul-20 09:47:45

Well said AGAA GN is brilliant. It is so broad, even when you dip in with nothing in mind, you can find treasure.

I found it by chance whilst googling for an answer to a problem and the GN website came up so I joined right away. I can't think how I had missed it.

Since then I have commented and even tried to offer advice and made some virtual - and real friends, through meetups.

I have flirted with the politics threads but prefer the shallow end at the moment.

Thanks from
me too. Presumably GNHQ personnel have changed over the years.

Sorry Megs36 . It probably means you have said something sensible that nobody can disagree with. Keep trying and vent if you need to.

BlueSky Sat 11-Jul-20 09:26:57

I joined when I needed reassurance about a MRI scan and you all gave it to me, thinking if they can do it so can I! I've been on here ever since, receiving more advice on other health matters. I then discovered many of you have DC and DGC abroad and that has helped as well. So thank you all! thanks

henetha Sat 11-Jul-20 09:21:51

I've been on GN for several years now, can't remember how many, and find it very comforting. I spend up to about an hour a day on the the games as I really enjoy such things.
I read all the other threads too but don't often join in as
sometimes people can be intimidating with their strong opinions, particularly the political ones.
To those who live alone GN is good company. Long may it continue.

NanKate Sat 11-Jul-20 07:34:10

Although I don’t post as much as I used to, I still enjoy reading the varied topics and getting recommendations for tv programmes.

I have made some genuine friends both virtual and in reality.

I avoid the political threads as some of the posters can be rather nasty. I often want to comment on the threads about the state of the world with regard to free speech, but yet again do not want to be harangued.

On the whole I am FOR GN ?

Purpledaffodil Sat 11-Jul-20 06:26:08

Fennel we must have joined at the same time, it was that sad event which made me discover GN.
I have made two lovely RL friends whom I would never have met otherwise, have discovered soupmakers, knicker rolling for tidiness, have had some helpful advice on gas coal fires and just today some information about figs I’d rather not have known?. Oh and gained several wonderful competition prizes! What’s not to like??

Megs36 Fri 10-Jul-20 23:09:07

Far North
??