Gransnet forums

Chat

Still can't get to see new baby

(53 Posts)
Newatthis Sat 11-Jul-20 12:41:50

I posted a few weeks ago and chatted about us grans who have our children and grandchildren living overseas and how difficult it is (at the best of times)to see them but even more so now. I have a 4 hour trip to the airport, an 11 hour flight and an ongoing 1 hour journey but I do try to go as often as possible which is usually twice a year. At the moment I can't go even if I wanted to as my grandchildren live in USA and we have closed our borders to all people coming from the USA and they have to us visiting there also. My new granddaughter is now 6 weeks old, I should have been there for the birth. I haven't seen my daughter (or other grandchild) for 6 months and don't know when I will. With the COVID situation in the USA it is looking more and more bleak. I am getting very down about it even though I try not to, not withstanding the worry of whether they will catch it. My friends and family cannot understand how I feel as they have the 'Well, you don't see that much of them anyway" attitude. I feel that I have no-one to talk to about this who might understand. I know there are many of you out there who are in similar situations.

maddyone Sun 20-Jun-21 16:04:29

It’s so sad for all concerned isn’t it? We all have absolutely no idea when we’ll see them again. What a mess!

Persistentdonor Sun 20-Jun-21 11:14:49

For all the people desperate to see their overseas families, please accept my heart felt support.
I last saw my son and grandchildren in spring of 2018, and was supposed to see them again at the end of 2019. That was rolled over to the end of this year, which now seems increasingly less likely, and my heart is breaking.
It is true that we are so much luckier with video, than 200 years ago, but what when they are SO busy they never answer for weeks on end?
My youngest grandchild was a toddler last time I saw him, by now he is a proper tearaway, and I suspect he might be taller than I am before the next time!
I find it so very hard. sad

Newatthis Sun 20-Jun-21 10:28:17

Thank you Maddyone and everyone else for your support. Hugs to you all.Meant to say new baby is now one (not mum)

maddyone Sun 20-Jun-21 10:23:26

I’m so sorry Newatthis that you have been unable to see your daughter or new grandchild. It’s a horrible situation for so many grandparents the world over. We are not allowed to travel or it’s unsafe to travel. My daughter and family moved to New Zealand about two months ago, so we’re lucky that we got to see whenas allowed under the restrictions until then. Now, like so many others, we don’t know when we’ll see them again as New Zealand won’t allow entry to anyone (our daughter and her husband went as essential workers.) It’s very hard, I’m often very low. Being lectured about being better off than others as one poster has done is not helpful to anyone on this thread. People are in real pain because of this, I feel for you all, and now I’ve joined you.

Newatthis Sun 20-Jun-21 10:05:30

Another update - 18 months on and still not been able to see my daughter or granddaughter. New baby is now mum and we still haven't met. Heart aching and breaking.

Newatthis Tue 14-Jul-20 13:32:47

Just an update - Thank you for all your kind words, I hope that too you will all be with your grandchildren soon - it's heartbreaking for us all. I just have received a lovely bouquet of flowers from my daughter in the USA with a note saying they were from my little grandchildren and how they are missing me - clearly our hearts are in touch.

SunnySusie Mon 13-Jul-20 19:48:53

My sympathies newatthis flowers. Its is very hard. I too have family in the States. Yes we talk over the internet, but sometimes after a call I ache to see them so much its like a real physical pain and I almost (but not quite) wish we hadnt made the call in the first place. I always hoped I would be part of their lives in a way that just isnt possible and somehow the current situation has just underlined that for me. All I can offer, apart from sympathy, is the thought that one day all of this will be over and we will be able to put our arms around our loved ones again.

Longdistancegrnny Mon 13-Jul-20 18:57:09

I share the pain of all of you who are waiting and hoping for it to be safe to travel to visit families, we will be delighted when we can fly to Australia and visit DD and 3 GC. Luckily we were there in February, but by now would have been planning another visit, and also making arrangements for them to come here in December for DD2s wedding, Christmas and DHs 70th. The twins were 3 last week and we had a family zoom while they opened their presents- good fun but not the same! My friends try to understand but don’t appreciate how difficult it is knowing that you can’t go, whatever happens. My daughter says she has always been happy living in Aus, knowing that we could be together within a few days in case of emergency, now that security has been taken from her And it worries her. Let’s all keep contact going as much as we can and look forward to those hugs when they come.

vickymeldrew Mon 13-Jul-20 18:40:18

Two of my children live abroad. One in North America, the other Europe. It’s only on Gransnet that I feel others actually understand this situation and it has been such a support to me when I have been in despair. Yes, there are others worse off but it’s not a competion so saying that only makes me feel worse.
When you have always made sure you visit regularly and maintain close bonds, the present situation just hits you like a double whammy. It may be possible to physically make the journey, but if you’ve been shielded etc etc then you shouldn’t even be catching a bus let alone a jumbo jet for hours on end!
Friends do say crass things and I have managed to harden myself to this but it is very very difficult and does affect my friendships.
Thank goodness for the empathy on Gransnet.

maddyone Mon 13-Jul-20 18:36:48

I just want to say how much I feel for all of you with grandchildren abroad. It must be so difficult not having any idea when it will be safe to travel to see them, even more so when a new baby has been born. flowers for you all.

Taptan Mon 13-Jul-20 17:41:40

Newatthis, I do understand how you feel my are only in Cyprus, but I can’t go, holiday in May was cancelled. I should have been going on Wednesday for my granddaughter’s 3rd birthday on Friday. Cyprus does not want us because of Covid 19, they were very strict, and feel we weren’t, they will make a decision 1 August to see if they will allow people from UK in, but it is not looking hopeful, missing my daughter and the children is awful. In your position I would have been distraught not seeing the new baby. Keep hoping and praying.

Mouseybrown60 Mon 13-Jul-20 16:56:50

Bamm you’ve hit the nail on the head for me. I miss my son so much it really hurts.

hulahoop Mon 13-Jul-20 16:51:41

Minerva and Lucca and to all who are waiting to see grandchildren ?

Lucca Mon 13-Jul-20 16:14:30

Minerva that is so hard for you all, youhave my absolute sympathy. Not being able to do nothing to help is so difficult. My DIL is going through a terrible time currently (but thankfully she has parents nearby) and the future may be very bleak for them, I hate not being able to hug my son when he’s upset.

aonk Mon 13-Jul-20 16:00:22

I’m very grateful not to be in your situation as my GC live quite near me and I’ve seen them regularly at a distance of course. Well done on giving up so much of your time to help others. I can’t say I know how you feel but just want to tell you that I’m thinking of you and the other grandparents in similar circumstances. Hoping very much that things will improve soon for you all.

Lucca Mon 13-Jul-20 15:50:06

Esmerelda

Lucca Yes ... 23 years and at a time with no modern technology so relying on airmail. You?

Obviously. And I still found your post patronising.

Minerva Mon 13-Jul-20 15:31:36

My tiny Australian grandchild is 5 weeks old and still not due for another month. Three rather older siblings had to stay 11 weeks with their grandparents 8 hours away from where their mum was being looked after by their dad, shielding in bed in hospital accommodation over 3 hours away from home. My daughter had a highly dangerous pregnancy and had no warning that she couldn’t go back home and no chance to say goodbye to her children (or “please” to the grandparents!). I knew exactly what was going on and was terrified and totally helpless.
Thank heaven she survived a huge operation, though with life changing injuries and will be home from hospital with the baby soon. Her husband has had to go back to work and the children are at last back home. I have always been there - for the wedding and the children’s births and in between - and don’t know how she is going to manage on her own in her present state. Not being able to help is torture.
We message all the time and she sends photos nearly every day and she is alive so I am just thankful for that.

Esmerelda Mon 13-Jul-20 14:34:55

Lucca Yes ... 23 years and at a time with no modern technology so relying on airmail. You?

Bamm Mon 13-Jul-20 14:32:49

Lucca, yes ,I miss my son very much, even more than the grandchildren. I am pleased that he has a good life and is happy but sometimes I remember my little boy and it makes me very sad.
Missing grandchildren is a bit different...they grow up so fast and it would be lovely to get to see them and know them as they change.

granbabies123 Mon 13-Jul-20 14:31:00

Thank goodness for technology . Years ago would have been horrendous.
My GC live 4 hours away, saw them this weekend for the first time since February. No hugs kisses but lots of time with them. Will be a few month till we see them again.
I feel ok because we can see and speak to them as often as we like via internet. We just have to be thankful for being healthy and knowing they are well.
I know it is hard on all who live a distance but we're all ok and that's the main thing. Keep chins up ladies ,your time will come.

GreenGran78 Mon 13-Jul-20 14:11:46

Luckily our whole family got together in Australia, last November, for my daughter’s wedding, so I got to see my 3 year old GD and my 3 children who live over there.
I arrived home at the end of February, with tickets a,ready booked to return there in May for the birth of my son’s first baby.
He is now 8 weeks old. Luckily the Covid restrictions have all been lifted locally, in Perth, , so his mum’s parents, who live nearby, can visit. They are still stopping people from flying in, though, and I wouldn’t risk the journey yet, anyway.
The family are all very good at video chatting with me, so I am up to speed with them all. Nothing can beat physical contact though.
What can’t be cured must be endured, as they say. I will get my cuddles eventually! Here are my two lovely Aussie GC.

Lucca Mon 13-Jul-20 13:44:36

If you don’t then please don’t be so patronising.

Lucca Mon 13-Jul-20 13:43:59

Esmerelda

Although it's easy to fall into the trap of sympathising with you, my advice is different.
Next time you feel down about it think of all those people who have no safe place to sleep because they are homeless (through no fault of their own) or can't afford to eat because they are not working (ditto). Then do something positive about these situations that are happening right here in the UK, like volunteering at or donating to a homeless shelter or a food bank, so you have something good to share with your family in the US the next time you Skype or Facetime.
These are just suggestions but I'm sure you can think of something good to do that is appropriate to you and the place you live, even if it's just helping out neighbours ... which you may well do, I don't know. But concentrate on positives, not negatives.

I'm obviously a hard-hearted Hannah and am prepared to duck behind the sofa but I'm all for making good memories rather than dwelling on what you think you are missing out on. Carpe diem (and make it a good one).

You have family who live far away I presume ?

Lucca Mon 13-Jul-20 13:42:45

Unfortunately people do say insensitive things. “Ooh how lovely , holidays in Australia “. I don’t even like the place !!
. And actually I miss my son more even than the grandchildren. Nobody seems to register that.

Jill0753 Mon 13-Jul-20 13:34:35

Newatthis, I understand how you feel about not being able to travel to see grandchildren and your children. It isn’t at all helpful when people say that you are used to not seeing them as if that makes it alright. You might be used to not seeing them very often but you knew that you could see them or you had a planned trip to look forward to. My son and his family live in Adelaide and I can’t see a time in the foreseeable future when we will be able to visit. Know that you are not alone.