Gransnet forums

Chat

Dont know what to do with myself today

(64 Posts)
travelsafar Tue 14-Jul-20 08:43:57

Feeling really low today with nothing to do. Yes i could do some clearing out i suppose but that is something which i would be forcing myself to do not anything that really needs doing. Yesterday i cleaned the house from top to bottom. I have finished the trousers i was making and ironing up to date. Its wet and damp outside so unless it brightens up i wont be working in the garden. I dont need to go to the shops. I could go for a walk but not in the mood. Not long been up and already feel like l want to crawl back ito bed and put the duvet over my head. What do you do when you feel like this.

Poppyred Tue 14-Jul-20 08:59:04

I always think about what could be worse?
Could be in work watching the clock....
Could be in hospital.....
Could be on a bus feeling sick ?.....

Hope your feeling better soon. X

Curlywhirly Tue 14-Jul-20 08:59:45

Watch a film; read a book; give yourself a pedicure (did this yesterday, now have lovely soft feet with bright raspberry nailvarnished toes!). Put some nice music on and clear out and tidy a drawer, very theraputic when you see how much junk you can get rid of. Look up new recipies (I can spend hours doing this). If you really need cheering up, phone a friend and have a good natter.

BlueBelle Tue 14-Jul-20 09:06:33

Do you know I go out even if it is raining
I m like a pig in what’s it as I ve now gone back to my voluntary job and feel useful again is there any volunteering you could do nothing like it to make you feel life is worth living
I had quite a few days like you for no reason at all I couldn’t get going, felt down and dismal, don’t beat yourself up

sodapop Tue 14-Jul-20 09:07:43

Nothing wrong with a duvet day travelasfar good book or film, coffee and biscuits and let the world go by.
If I feel I really should do something then I set myself small targets and have a treat when I I reach them.

Puzzler61 Tue 14-Jul-20 09:08:58

Go for a walk, look at the sky, listen to the birds, look at wildflowers all out at the moment.

Even if you need waterproofs, a change of scenery and stretching your legs can bring about a return to a lighter mood for the rest of the day.

GrannySomerset Tue 14-Jul-20 09:19:11

I feel much the same, Travelsofar, but with DH to deal with going back to bed is not an option. Or indeed pleasing myself at all.

So I will take him for a little walk and feel I have done a Good Thing, and maybe summon up the energy to get into the garden. Certainly true that the less I do, the less I want to do.

Pantglas2 Tue 14-Jul-20 09:19:47

Indulge yourself Travelsafar! You’ve done all the necessary so just be kind to yourself - little treats you like in bed or out, there’s something quite decadent about lolling abed during the day! Good book/magazine/online shopping and your favourite nosh - go girl ?

Starblaze Tue 14-Jul-20 09:24:22

Definitely go back to bed! Or anything that relaxes you

The best thing you can accomplish today is self care

Luckygirl Tue 14-Jul-20 09:33:47

Have you got Netflix or Amazon Prime? - why not binge watch The Crown or Downton Abbey? Some excellent acting, so you could put it down as a day of high culture!

Whitewavemark2 Tue 14-Jul-20 09:41:22

Everyone has those days. Console yourself that it will pass and give in to your mood. Relax and enjoy the idleness.

crazygranny Tue 14-Jul-20 09:41:38

Definitely go for a walk! - even if it's raining. Moving really helps - releases endorphins.

frue Tue 14-Jul-20 09:44:41

I find being purposeless hard too and have dutifully trodden the city streets For 5 kneach day for past 3 months. I find Lesley sansome’s Walk on you tube really good - mute volume and follow the moves. At least gives me something else to think about other than how isolated I feel/am. Good luck to us all.

polnan Tue 14-Jul-20 09:53:00

ah! but, isn`t it a state of mind? I am like that also travelsafar..

don`t want to do anything.. wish I had the energy both physical and mental
this facemask compulsory thing has really knocked me back, I thought we were making progress, seems to me we are all trapped

lucky you if you have the mental urge, and the physical strength..

and no one wants to know...

Carr4u Tue 14-Jul-20 09:59:02

Thanks for your comments. I, too, have been feeling lonely.

MarieEliza Tue 14-Jul-20 10:01:49

I am visiting my sister in a hospice today, she has a short time left, so I am going to be thankful and go for a walk and breathe some fresh air and keep her in thought and prayer

Madwoman11 Tue 14-Jul-20 10:07:23

Go for a walk even if you don't feel like it. You will feel better afterwards

Americanpie Tue 14-Jul-20 10:09:05

I'm always being called an optimist but this wearing of masks has knocked me back too. Surely social distancing and hand washing is enough without taking away fresh air from our lungs. I'm happy enough to wear one if I go into a shopping centre but popping into the local shop for a paper when there is only me and the shop keeper behind a screen? I give up.

grandtanteJE65 Tue 14-Jul-20 10:11:40

Sounds like you tired yourself out yesterday, so take a warm shower and go back to bed.

I'm sure the world will look brighter when you get up again.

Susieq62 Tue 14-Jul-20 10:21:18

I think we would be kidding ourselves if we didn’t experience a day like this during these unprecedented events.
Just have a duvet day if you want to. Nobody will judge you. Plus you will feel better tomorrow. Lack of sun is getting to us as well here in West Yorkshire but we are well and relatively fit. Just go with the flow.

Cambia Tue 14-Jul-20 10:28:15

Travelsafar I feel exactly like you today! I feel a bit fed up and under the weather. So far today I have done some meditation, put nice clothes and make up on and generally tried to cheer myself up. I have just made a drink and am now sitting down with a pile of motorhome magazines looking for a short break in the middle of nowhere!

Just indulge yourself and don’t do much until you feel a little lighter x

DiscoGran Tue 14-Jul-20 10:31:27

I felt the same this morning, some days it's just harder, isn't it.
I have made myself a nice big mocha, got a chocolate biscuit and turned on Pop Master. Feeling cheerier already. Be kind to yourself .?

Flakesdayout Tue 14-Jul-20 10:40:41

Travelsfar I too have days like that. And if that is how I feel I just go back to bed. The cats will come and join me and we wallow in the duvet. I do feel guilty that maybe I could have dome something more productive but that can wait til tomorrow. Focus on something positive and I always find that a nice drink, hot choc, coffee or tea and a biscuit helps.

Chardy Tue 14-Jul-20 10:46:36

I have a stash of books that I really want to read (but never get round to) and several DVDs and box sets that I really want to watch (but never get round to). I have hobbies, but trouble is, it takes energy to get started.
Indulge yourself
PS My daughter, who bought me the 1st unwatched box set ten years ago, doesn't believe me when I say just having the DVDs there makes me feel better, it means I have something to do if I have nothing to do.

Romola Tue 14-Jul-20 10:47:56

We all feel that we should be doing something positive or useful every day, don't we?
When I feel down and useless, I try and make myself do something physically taxing, like running up and down stairs 5 times, twice at least with a break between. It seems to reboot the system and also make you feel you deserve a treat like a biscuit or some toast, and a session on Gransnet!