Gransnet forums

Chat

Dont know what to do with myself today

(65 Posts)
travelsafar Tue 14-Jul-20 08:43:57

Feeling really low today with nothing to do. Yes i could do some clearing out i suppose but that is something which i would be forcing myself to do not anything that really needs doing. Yesterday i cleaned the house from top to bottom. I have finished the trousers i was making and ironing up to date. Its wet and damp outside so unless it brightens up i wont be working in the garden. I dont need to go to the shops. I could go for a walk but not in the mood. Not long been up and already feel like l want to crawl back ito bed and put the duvet over my head. What do you do when you feel like this.

OurKid1 Tue 14-Jul-20 14:50:19

I think some days are just like that and you have to go with the flow. Just 'be' for the time being and let it pass. I remember saying to my DH, when trying to persuade him to retire and he was asking what he would do with himself, that some days are just that - days when it's difficult to feel motivated. I'd definitely try going for a walk though, even if it's only round the block or to post a letter. There's a thought! Write a letter (a proper handwritten letter) to someone - a grandchild maybe? xx

AGAA4 Tue 14-Jul-20 15:14:08

It's nice to know I am not the only one who woke up feeling a bit gloomy this morning.

I just got dressed and went out without any plan of where to go. Ended up getting lost and had to just keep following the path I was on hoping it would lead me somewhere familiar. After 2 hours I found my way home and felt better after my adventure.

JaneRn Tue 14-Jul-20 15:16:17

Have you considered researching your family history? Be warned, once you start with one of your ancestors two hours later you will still be sitting at the computer. On the Scottish side I have got back as far as the 1700s, just after the second Jacobite rebellion.
Do give it a go, I.m sure you would enjoy it.

billericaylady Tue 14-Jul-20 15:27:27

Hi there.I have 2 hobbies ..the first is Family Abcestory..Ivabsolutely live finding out about My family that U never knew...I've also been in touch with a cousin whom I am related through our Grandmotgers ...we havent met but she seems lovely.

My second hobby is sewing and with the pandemic I have been making and selling masks among other things ..so much so I was approached by a local mag for an artical which they named Liberty in Lockdown ..Fame at last smile

Juliet27 Tue 14-Jul-20 15:38:25

Family Abcestory ...Sounds like a nasty affliction!!

Houseseller Tue 14-Jul-20 16:28:39

I found the perfect occupation for me. I have been interested in crafts over the years. I decided to try ribbon craft, I am now totally addicted. I have made loads of flowers for corsages and also Christmas decoration. I could open a shop with the amount of ribbon I have bought. Highly recommended it, lots of tutorials on utube.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Tue 14-Jul-20 16:54:10

I'm a bit late to this thread so I hope you're feeling a bit better, travels. I sometimes feel at a bit of a loose end but not for long. Have you any hobbies which really interest you? Having an interest which makes you forget about time passing is very helpful, something you can really get your teeth into. I prefer to get out of bed, washed and dressed each day no matter how I'm feeling unless it's a physical illness. I think my morale would get lower if I succumbed to it, but whatever works for you.

annep1 Tue 14-Jul-20 16:55:14

If you know you need the exercise go for a walk . If you haven't the energy then don't. Apart from that just go with the flow. Tomorrow is another day ?

Lizbethann55 Tue 14-Jul-20 17:18:20

travelsafar at last! A kindred spirit! Escape to the Country is my most favourite programme ever! I will do anything rather than miss it. I feel so disappointed if I don't like any of the properties and feel quite cross and take it very personally if the couple on it don't like my preferred choice. Jules Hudson is my favourite presenter.

FarNorth Tue 14-Jul-20 17:58:39

Wow, travelsafar, you've done a lot more than I have today. sunshine

Puzzler61 Tue 14-Jul-20 18:52:39

travelsafar Well done, you turned a potentially depressing day into one full of achievements. So glad you’ve had a good time filling the time. ?

Firdaus your slippers are just lovely.

GreenGran78 Wed 15-Jul-20 01:00:42

I felt the same today. Couldn’t settle to anything, so I put on my old jacket, got my secateurs and spent a couple of hours tidying the narrow footpath near my house. It goes past the houses and an orchard, over a little wooden bridge at the brook, and out into the fields. At this time of year the nettles and brambles, in particular, start attacking passers-by.
I worked my way down one side, then back up the other. Apart from wayward nettles and intrusive briars I also pruned any overhanging new growth on the trees.
By the time I got back home, put the kettle on, and tended to my few scratches and stings I felt happy and satisfied. It’s nice to know that our local ramblers will be able to go for a stroll down the lane without getting attacked by the local wildlife - at least for a few more weeks, anyway.

firdaus19 Thu 16-Jul-20 10:36:22

GreenGran78, lovely idea. Well done. flowers

Rufus2 Thu 16-Jul-20 15:15:14

What do you do when you feel like this
Travelsafar Nothing! hmm
But here's something you could try; just read about it

."Can anyone tell me why there are are seven thousand four hundred and twenty-six grains of rice in one packet and only seven thousand three hundred and ninety-six in another!?"
Hope you don't get that desperate! grin
Good Health.