Gransnet forums

Chat

Rewarding GC's good work - what should I do or say now?

(61 Posts)
Auntieflo Mon 20-Jul-20 08:10:31

cassandra264 I am so sorry that your SIL is ill.
Your family are having a tough time, on top of all the worries that Covid brings.
The GN's before me have put what I was thinking so well, that there is really nothing more to add.
Let your DD and SIL enjoy their purchases and don't begrudge your GC the pleasure in their new toy.

MerylStreep Mon 20-Jul-20 08:02:28

My grandchildren fritter away most of the money I give them.
It's my choice to give the money, it's their choice how they spend it.

eazybee Mon 20-Jul-20 07:54:08

I really don't think you should give someone a present, particularly money, and then try to control how it is spent. You don't say how old your grandchild is, but it seems that the toy bought is one that is much wanted, as other saved money has contributed towards it. It may not be value for money but not every toy should be educational or aid development. Frittering money, to me, is wasting it with nothing to show for it; this is something desired and may bring a huge amount of pleasure and satisfaction. I would trust your daughter who as a teacher will be aware of these desires, and appreciates the need for a bit of frivolity occasionally.
The same applies to the money spent within the home; they know what they are facing.

GrandmaKT Mon 20-Jul-20 07:47:40

Gosh cassandra, you seem to have your priorities a bit upside down! I would imagine that with all they have going on - the lockdown followed by the sad re-occurrence of your SIL's illness, your DD will have thought - give him whatever he wants for once, life is short! Please don't say anything, they have bigger problems on their plate.
Don't worry about the house purchase, so long as it is a sensible buy it should appreciate in value and they can always sell it if needs be in the future.
Just be there for them when they need you flowers

kittylester Mon 20-Jul-20 07:29:37

I agree with everything the others have said. They need to have some fun times

mumofmadboys Mon 20-Jul-20 07:23:42

Someone once said to me children have to learn to waste money before they can learn to be sensible with it!
I would say nothing. Your DD and SIL have bigger problems to concentrate on. Hope your SIL's treatment goes well.

Marydoll Mon 20-Jul-20 06:54:16

Cassandra, what a lovely grandparent you are, but I can see where your DD is coming from.

It has been a difficult time for all of us. Chronic illness sometimes makes us re-evaluate our lives. I had so many plans for before Covid and shielding changed everything.

Sometimes we need to do a bit of frittering and not be sensible, we feel we may not get better and wish to live for the moment.
There is no joy in a gift with conditions attached. Let your granddaughter enjoy her frivolous gift, life is going to get tough for her.

By the way, I'm a teacher too and sometimes we get tired of being sensible!

BBbevan Mon 20-Jul-20 06:27:35

Really sorry to hear about your SiL Cassandra.,and wish him well.
We give our eldest GD pocket money every month. The youngest will get hers as soon as she starts secondary school
It is theirs to do with as they please. We only ask for a thank you now and then. Just let your GD enjoy it.

cornergran Mon 20-Jul-20 01:55:28

I do understand your worry cassandra, but have to agree with missadventure. Sometimes when serious illness strikes and can’t be controlled by the individual or their partner what might seem like a foolish ‘something’ can make life easier for a while. It doesn’t mean they will spend every penny they have, just that for a little while they will enjoy a treat and perhaps put the illness aside, even if for just a few minutes. The same would apply to your grandchild who sounds both resilient and determined. Yes, do keep rewarding educational efforts. I think with gifts we have to let go of our expectations and accept that once given the gift is not ours to control. It sounds as if the whole family have had treats, perhaps they needed them . It’s a difficult time for you too, worries are bound to surface, I hope your son in law responds well to treatment and you can all settle again.

MissAdventure Mon 20-Jul-20 01:00:37

Perhaps they don't feel like being sensible, and you can't really blame them.

It's nice for them to have what they want, for now.

I would go back to giving the usual little treat for work well done.

cassandra264 Mon 20-Jul-20 00:31:34

When I was a child, a teacher's good marks for good school work were considered sufficient reward by my parents and grandparents. However, I did have friends whose parents bought them small presents if they did particularly well; and whenever my AC lets me know of especially good work done by my very dear and only GC, I send a handwritten letter with some extra pocket money (NOT huge amounts) to acknowledge this.We live at a distance, and even before Covid could not meet frequently, though we are in contact 2 or 3 times a week.The money is always gratefully received, and I am usually happy that GC uses it to choose whatever would add a bit of sunshine to the day!

However, this year I sent more than usual. GC's achievement, we all felt, was especially great - not only because of lockdown, but also because last year my SIL was very seriously ill,and GC was old enough to understand this. We thought SIL had recovered - but it now appears that the disease has returned. For the time being GC will not be told - in a few weeks after term has started, the news will have to be broken that treatment must start again.

The concern I have may seem very trivial by comparison in the circumstances; but I am worried that my daughter, who has up to now been holding things together brilliantly, has now allowed GC to fritter what I have sent - plus other money - on an extremely expensive toy of little or no educational or developmental value. This is out of character (she is a teacher, although now for only two days a week) and my partner and I, who live in a low income area where so many people are struggling, feel it is wrong. I don't know whether to say anything, or just resolve not to do this again.

At the same time, daughter and SIL - who is still able to work full time, at least for now, have also gone ahead with major (not essential) house purchases, planned before the recurrence of his disease. They are usually sensible with money, and I do not wish to interfere or upset them when they have already had so much to bear, but with so many question marks over the immediate future, it is hard not to worry.