Gransnet forums

Chat

Litterbugs!

(53 Posts)
lemongrove Mon 20-Jul-20 17:31:22

Just lately have noticed quite a bit of litter in our village, particularly the road that leads in and out with cars on their way to somewhere else.It’s usually just the opposite and rarely needs any picking up.The beaches and beauty spots seem to be getting worse too.
Is this because haven’t eaten and drunk the contents, people don’t want the packaging in their cars because of Covid??

lemongrove Mon 20-Jul-20 17:32:22

Typo...having eaten and drunk ...etc

Calendargirl Mon 20-Jul-20 17:48:28

They must have handled the packaging to eat the food lemongrove so wouldn’t have thought it should be a problem to then have it in the car!.
?‍♀️

lemongrove Mon 20-Jul-20 17:52:55

Well, I wouldn’t have thought so either, but there you are, the litter around the place is getting worse.

MissAdventure Mon 20-Jul-20 17:55:47

I've noticed lots more since corona came to town.

Puzzler61 Mon 20-Jul-20 18:00:00

If you have KFC’s and Macdonald’s drive thru’s opening up around you they are often open 24 hours.
Since some young people don’t have mealtimes in a home setting, they eat “on the go”, in cars, all times of day and night and push the litter out of the window.
I’ve seen workmen in vans do it in the daytime too.

Our littering has increased with the opening of 2 of these fast food places in the last 2-3 years.

Peardrop50 Mon 20-Jul-20 18:04:57

I only commented this morning, having seen photos on tv of various beauty spots almost completely covered in litter, that this is a new phenomenon.
I have no idea what has gone so badly wrong but clearly something has changed.
I can't see it being that people are worried about taking the litter in their car because of covid, after all they either brought the stuff with them or bought it then ate or drank from it as Calendar says.
Very worrying, if volunteers stop picking up after these ignoramuses/ignoramice/ignorami (pick one) we will all be knee deep in rubbish before long. Now where are my wellies.

phoenix Mon 20-Jul-20 18:24:22

Having seen the dreadful photos of beaches a couple of weeks ago, surely this night apply:

You brought stuff with you in a bag, take it away in the same bag!

There is also an oft used saying, still appropriate for beauty spots:

"Take only photographs, leave only footprints"

Stick with that and you won't go far wrong!

GrannySomerset Mon 20-Jul-20 19:27:54

Or, as dinned into us at primary school some seventy years ago, “Take your litter home!”

annodomini Mon 20-Jul-20 19:38:30

On the BBC lunchtime news today there was footage of the appalling mess left behind by Leeds United fans celebrating their team's promotion to the Premiership. Similar scenes were reported from Liverpool a few weeks ago. What is it about these 'fans'? Didn't their parents teach them to take their litter home? Evidently not.

AviaParva Mon 20-Jul-20 19:45:24

I walk in our local parks twice a day. The local dog walkers pick up all the litter from the previous evening/day - we take bags as we now know what to expect ?
There was never the litter we now find.
These people would soon complain if we dog walkers didn’t pick up our dogs poo! Maybe we ought to leave it to deter them from coming!!

farview Mon 20-Jul-20 19:50:21

Also lots of face masks and disposable gloves being thrown on the roads...

Peardrop50 Mon 20-Jul-20 20:14:13

"Take only photographs, leave only footprints"
lovely quote Phoenix
If only.

merlotgran Mon 20-Jul-20 20:59:37

annodomini

On the BBC lunchtime news today there was footage of the appalling mess left behind by Leeds United fans celebrating their team's promotion to the Premiership. Similar scenes were reported from Liverpool a few weeks ago. What is it about these 'fans'? Didn't their parents teach them to take their litter home? Evidently not.

DH thinks the bill for clearing it all up should be sent to the football club.

We need more draconian measures. TV footage of volunteer litter pickers on beaches and in the countryside just gives out the message that somebody else will clear up after these selfish, lazy gits.

Georgesgran Mon 20-Jul-20 21:05:05

The litter problem near us is much worse since lockdown - I cannot understand the mentality of someone who drives with a full can/bottle then slings it from the window empty!! My car was always ‘a bin on wheels’ when my girls were small, but 5 minutes with a bin bag at home sorted it.

We’ve also noticed an increase in dog poo just left on paths and often those who pick and bag it, either hang them in bushes, or just discard the bags - do they really believe in a poo fairy?? One of the biggest offenders is one of the many professional dog walkers, who claims she leaves the bags to collect up later - but never does.

Often used to collect cans and bottles out with my ‘pack’ but wouldn’t handle them now.

At one stage, we had 10 dogs and I sometimes ended up with an M&S carrier bag full of poo bags, twice a day. Not nice, but necessary.

Often used to collect up cans and bottles when out with the ‘pack’. At night, cars would park there to do drugs, and I’d collect the paraphernalia the next morning - I always wondered what the bin men must have thought about all the ‘bongs’ the the recycling of two respectable looking oldies!! X

MissAdventure Mon 20-Jul-20 22:53:05

Since lockdown, it has apparently become fashionable for dog walkers to leave their bagged up turns in a row on the edge of what is supposedly our "communal garden".

MissAdventure Mon 20-Jul-20 22:54:12

Turns? No, phone.. turds!!

Callistemon Mon 20-Jul-20 23:23:28

It's probably the Baby Boomers, lemongrove, turned from responsible human beings into litter bugs since COVID19 arrived.
They are responsible for all other ills.

Seriously, yes, I have noticed the trend and find it appalling and quite distressing. Weston has just been on the news and the refuse collectors pick up tons of rubbish from the beach from barbecues to face masks, bottles to nappies. The Weston swimmers were litter picking and one woman said to them "Why bother - the sea will wash it away".

Shocking.

vegansrock Tue 21-Jul-20 04:58:53

There are unfortunately too many morons in this country who think nothing of dumping mattresses, fridges, sofas on street corners as they can’t be ar*sed to arrange its disposal. Our local park was strewn with debris from groups having bbqs over the weekend. Plus all those selfish campers leaving whole tents and excrement , bottles cans etc In beauty spots. We really are a filthy nation. Let’s have stiff fines for fly tipping and littering. Offenders given litter clearing punishments.

Calendargirl Tue 21-Jul-20 06:46:51

No way am I excusing fly tipping, but our council charges I think £25/£30 to take away bulky items such as a double mattress or fridge.

So they either get dumped by the householder, or a ‘man with a van’ charges a fiver, and does the same.

Some councils put skips around the town/city every so often and people can put bulky items in, for free.

Surely the cost of doing that is better than paying to clear up all the fly tipped stuff.

Many don’t have the wherewithal to take stuff to the local tip, assuming there is one in the locality.

eazybee Tue 21-Jul-20 07:52:22

It is quite simply that some people are dirty.
They all believe that the litter they leave behind, from football fans, 'ravers' at music festivals, sunbathers on beaches, picnickers and dog walkers,is someone else's responsibility and should not sully their probably immaculate homes.

rowanflower0 Tue 21-Jul-20 10:12:34

Things have got worse recently - but there are less cafes serving coffee in china cups, at inside tables and washing them - and a whole lot more 'takeaways'. Not that there is any excise for littering!

Growing0ldDisgracefully Tue 21-Jul-20 10:29:56

I was brought up to, and still do, take all litter home with me. I detest the spoiling of beautiful areas, indeed any area spoiled by litter. During the early part of lockdown, I did try walks in the 1 green area we have (soon to be swallowed by yet more housing), but it was so depressing because of the amount of litter that I gave up. I have recently had a lovely 2 weeks away in Devon and there were beautiful unspoilt walks around our caravan site. I also visited another favourite spot - Stover Park near Newton Abbot. Normally no litter there, but the toilets there are still closed, and guess what - plastic bags discarded, possibly linked to that. How disrespectful and disgusting.

Diggingdoris Tue 21-Jul-20 10:51:17

Yes litter is becoming a problem everywhere, and I've seen masks and gloves discarded in the countryside where I walk my dog.
When my dog 'performs' and I have the poo bag over my hand I pick it up then look around for any bits of litter and pick that as well. That way I am not coming into direct contact with anyone's germs.

Chardy Tue 21-Jul-20 11:01:27

I'm with AviaParva. I walk the beach every day but don't pick up anything any more. As I try not to touch handrails, pedestrian crossing buttons etc, I'm not picking up disposable coffee cups, drinks cans etc.
I probably would pick up 5 or 6 small bits of plastic, metal, cardboard, glass (fill an empty poo bag?!) every walk to save them being washed into the sea by the tide.
PS Really sorry but somewhere between the front door and the shop, I dropped my disposable mask.