Gransnet forums

Chat

Summer....back to the usual

(67 Posts)
overthehill Mon 20-Jul-20 18:39:00

Anyone like me? So thankful summer has reverted to type this year. 2018 & 2019 for me was horrendous with temperatures soaring into the high 30s. I like sunshine but with temperatures in the 24ish. I prefer cold and wet to unbearable heat

Grandma70s Tue 21-Jul-20 12:49:42

The only reason I am happy to stay in the north west is that it is consistently a few degrees cooler (and therefore better) than the south east, where the rest of my family live.

Foxyferret Tue 21-Jul-20 12:56:31

Having had several basal cell carcinoma removed, I avoid sitting in the sun like the plague. The doctor said they are caused by the sun, not smoking, not diet purely the rays. I was never a sunbather but I used to live in Italy and you were in the sun constantly just doing every tasks like shopping, gardening etc. If I had known back then what I know now! I see the people baking on the beach and really fear for them

MiniMoon Tue 21-Jul-20 13:13:05

lucca, where is your brother?

We had a very dry Spring, but except for one warm week in May, I wouldn't say it was warm. Since the end of May we have had rain with cool winds almost daily.

It's dry and sunny today, but the temperature is a disappointing 13°c.

Willow500 Tue 21-Jul-20 13:23:10

Having just spent the morning clearing an area at the side of our house overgrown with ivy and honeysuckle I'm so pleased it's a bit grey and cooler today! I don't do high temperatures and prefer the winter!

skate Tue 21-Jul-20 13:40:31

Only 18 degrees? Why is that a disappointment? Just about my maximum comfortable temperature! Any hotter and I start to wilt. I simply cannot understand how people happily walk about in the blazing sunshine or grill themselves for hours on end. I like a nice grey sky and 16 degrees with a breeze. Don't mind a bit of dappled sunshine but a relentless glare makes me feel ill. I really wish I could enjoy it though, I hate having to skulk indoors or seek out shade.

SueDonim Tue 21-Jul-20 14:16:51

Swap you, Skate! It’s cloudy and 17deg here. grin

17deg is an improvement on yesterday’s 13deg and I don’t like it super-hot but a bit of warmth when you don’t need to keep a cardigan to hand and some brightness would be lovely.

We only had three days of the lovely Spring weather everyone else had. It was extraordinary that just a few miles away they had week upon week of glorious weather. I got in a right mood every time my mum and my daughter phoned to say how lovely it was. ??

Thecatshatontgemat Tue 21-Jul-20 14:36:53

Nope. I want warmth.
Never bothers me if it is actually sunny or not, but l live for the days when the actual temperature is warm (or close /muggy, whatever you want to call it), as my joy is existing in vest shorts and flip flops.
Bliss!

Craftycat Tue 21-Jul-20 14:39:17

I just love the sun. I am on a sunbed All day given half a chance. This time of year I am usually on Greek beach from 9am until 6pm.
So for me this weather is just perfect & my tan is coming along nicely.
Each to their own.

sodapop Tue 21-Jul-20 15:25:45

I'm like your husband Merlotgran constantly moaning about the heat. I hate it. Makes me feel sick and head achey if I'm working in it. I bought a very nice sun lounger a couple of years ago think I've used it about twice.
My favourite spot at the moment is on the sofa with my Dyson fan working full pelt. It's about 26 degrees here.

Ellie Anne Tue 21-Jul-20 18:15:05

I like the heat. Get quite down when the weather is bad Nd am stuck in the house. We expect it in the winter but not in July.

Musicgirl Tue 21-Jul-20 19:08:21

I'm with you, Overthehill. I have extremely fair skin, the type that normally goes with red hair and cannot sit in the sun without getting a headache. I once managed to get sunstroke in Birmingham. I find l do not cope with extreme temperatures - l was made for our northern European latitude. 20-25° is perfect for me with 22° just right.

Kim19 Tue 21-Jul-20 19:08:44

Another pal for Luca here. The hotter the better for me. Can't get enough of it.

Liz08 Tue 21-Jul-20 19:24:29

Thanks Miss - the ebay link did work, I've just ordered one for the next hot night smile

BluePizzaWalking Tue 21-Jul-20 19:27:57

Peardrop 50. I'm with you ?
When you find somewhere with that climate let me know and I will move there too ?

Evie64 Tue 21-Jul-20 19:36:18

@overthehill I absolutely agree with you. I would happily lay in the sun for hours until was the colour of a chestnut. However, as soon I hit about 60 I could no longer bear the heat. It's horrible feeling too hot with that unsightly line of sweat on the your top lip and your make-up sliding down your face. No, this summer is fine, and if it gets a bit cool, put a cardy on. Love seeing sunshine and blue skies, but nothing over about 20 degrees suits me. Not keen on the rain though.

Rowantree Tue 21-Jul-20 19:44:45

I hate it when it gets too hot. I always feel ill in the heat and for me, anything over 25 is too hot. I get palpitations, my feet and legs swell uncomfortably, I lose energy and motivation. I'm with those who prefer a more temperate climate. I love sunshine but a breeze makes all the difference and I don't mind cloud either. But I do find it difficult to keep up with my reactions to temperature - even on sunny days I feel chilled in the evenings and feel the need for a hot water bottle to cuddle. Then at night I'll fling all the windows open....there's no pleasing some people!