Gransnet forums

Chat

Not allowed look after grandchildren

(30 Posts)
Juana Tue 21-Jul-20 13:26:43

I have looked after my 2GC Since they were babies, 8 years ago, just 2 days a week and overnight which was our special time, I have a wonderful bond with them. Now I am increasingly frustrated that I’ve only seen them 3 times ,for a short while in the garden , since February . They went back to school beginning of July and are now with the childminder . I cannot understand why I’m not allowed to have them or go to theirs,. I was helping with school work on FaceTime but that has stopped and we hardly FT at all now. I feel the bond is not as it was and I sorely miss the noise, chatter, laughter even the mess that we used to have. My DS says it’s too risky even though I hardly go anywhere. I don’t argue the case, it’s his children , and I’ve never interfered which he knows . What is the difference being at a childminders or at my house ?

Natasha76 Wed 22-Jul-20 20:08:43

The difference is your age.

Just do what you told for the time being and hopefully you will soon be back to your old life. If you don't and you get ill you not only risk your own life but more importantly all those around you that have to look after you- and they have loved ones as well.

I'm afraid this is not all about you.

Daisymay1 Wed 22-Jul-20 21:25:12

I too have been looking after my twin grandsons since they were born and they are 8 this year . I have found it so difficult not to be with them . I am seeing them now but social distancing from them . I know it’s for my own protection as I am over 70 but have started to feel a bit resentful that I can’t give them a cuddle . Lots of very sensible advice on here , made me have a chat with myself , to get a grip and wait till it’s safe . Roll on the vaccine .

Karen22 Thu 23-Jul-20 21:08:37

I'm the same, and understand your sadness . My son is fearful of me or his Gran from getting Covid.
I only have one GC , 11 months old and it's heartbreaking as she's learning something new every week. I miss her so much and long to cuddle her again. I'm thankful for facetime though

Toadinthehole Fri 24-Jul-20 17:39:33

Grandchildren are much more tactile with their grandparents than a childminder, so the chances of passing the virus are much higher. Try and hang in there. I know how hard it is, but your son is just protecting you I’m sure.