Gransnet forums

Chat

Simple pleasures

(71 Posts)
Lucca Wed 22-Jul-20 22:29:50

Just got into bed, with freshly washed (and ironed !!) sheets and clean pjs. What are your simple pleasures ? (apart from the obvious ones of hugs from the family.)

grannybuy Sun 26-Jul-20 23:30:49

At the moment, it's watching my weekly bunches of gladioli opening.

DanniRae Sun 26-Jul-20 11:54:41

I have a shallow dish of water on my patio for the sparrows - I love to sit and watch them splashing about in it having a lovely bath.

Furret Sat 25-Jul-20 13:33:48

Lucca that’s my simple pleasure too.

maydonoz Sat 25-Jul-20 13:19:53

My simple pleasures are, among many, sitting down to have a coffee at home, having finished morning chores, the radio on in the background (LBC) and a crossword to do, that's it - bliss.

Froglady Sat 25-Jul-20 09:22:05

Peardrop50

Freshly washed and ironed bedding top of my list too. I’m lucky enough to own a big press from our days owning holiday cottages.
Guilty pleasure is looking through other people’s homes either via magazines or tv especially while eating toast covered in marmite topped with syrup mmmm

There's a thought, marmite on toast topped with syrup - I've never tried that but will have a go. I like marmite on toast with marmalade on top!

Alioop Fri 24-Jul-20 17:28:29

Early morning dog walk especially when no one else about and coming home to a lovely cup of coffee.

4allweknow Fri 24-Jul-20 17:10:01

I iron all bedding. The thoughts of getting into a wrinkled set of clean bedding gives me the jitters. Would have to iron afraid. My pleasure would be sitting in my caravan where there would be no noisy neighbours or slam dunking doors of motor homes and looking over a field of sheep/cattle onto the sea. Rarely achieved nowadays with all the selfish noisy campers about.

Seajaye Fri 24-Jul-20 15:53:25

Crisp lined dried cotton bed linen is on my list of simple pleasures. Also eating breakfast outdoors on a sunny summer morning, or watching the sunset from the garden with a chilled glass of white wine in my hand smelling the honeysuckle. Going for a walk in the woods, especially at bluebell time. Brushing pass the lavender.

Beauregard Fri 24-Jul-20 15:18:10

A nice relaxing bath. The first coffee of the day with a splash of cream. Dinner out cooked by someone else. Wandering around the garden to see if any flower buds have opened up. The blackbirds in our garden who (seem to) call us to chase away other peoples cats. A lazy afternoon with nothing to do but read a book. Watching Gardeners World with a glass of wine.

newnanny Fri 24-Jul-20 13:56:49

Foot spa and watching foster son playing cricket.

cupcake1 Fri 24-Jul-20 13:54:18

My early morning walk in the sunshine (mostly!) watching the birds, foxes and squirrels scurrying about and a glass of wine in the garden whilst the evening meal is cooking. Little pleasures which mean so much more during these uncertain times.

narrowboatnan Fri 24-Jul-20 13:47:32

Laying snug in bed whilst listening to the rain pitter patter on the boat roof.
The smell of Anything freshly laundered - DH caught me sniffing the washing on the line once and thought I was wiping my face on it!
Fresh cut grass.
Newly made hay.
My cosy bed socks (mega hate having cold feet)

Kim19 Fri 24-Jul-20 13:26:46

I salivate at the very thought of a fried egg or bacon roll. My daily shower is bliss. Local riverside walk with hot sunshine directly on to any part of me. Completion of a task on my hit list no matter how trivial. Oh yesssss.

Growing0ldDisgracefully Fri 24-Jul-20 13:07:11

Ooh where to start:
The smell of rain on the garden after a hot spell
Birdsong
Sitting in the garden
The sun on my face, wind in my hair
Riding my motorbike, and hearing the gentle 'plink plink plink' sounds as her hot metal cools after we've had a good ride
A quick kiss from my husband as we go about our day
And getting to use the bathroom in peace!

Davida1968 Fri 24-Jul-20 12:26:02

Lying in a freshly-made bed (with un-ironed sheets!) and having a cuddle with DH.

Polly4t42 Fri 24-Jul-20 10:29:55

The sound of the sea, birds singing, a mocha at the coffee shop and taking my 3yr old to the library and playing pooh sticks or leaves on the way.

Camelotclub Fri 24-Jul-20 10:26:40

An afternoon on the sofa with my real crime shows I've recorded on Sky and my knitting, usually a complicated cable pattern as I get bored quickly!

inishowen Fri 24-Jul-20 10:22:36

I like getting into bed with a brand new book to read, knowing for the next hour I will be transported into a story.

Thecatshatontgemat Fri 24-Jul-20 10:17:45

Ironing....?? what's that then???? ?

For me it's about 4.00am on a sunny summer morning, out in the garden. Peace and quiet, apart from the birdies. Bliss.

Phloembundle Fri 24-Jul-20 10:17:02

I, too, would pay someone to make me up a clean, freshly ironed bed set every night. Listening to radio 4 in the morning when I wake up. The warmth of the sun.

Craftycat Fri 24-Jul-20 10:14:10

A glass of chilled wine in the garden on a warm summer's evening-- maybe 2!!

Froglady Fri 24-Jul-20 09:41:45

Fresh flowers in my flat.
Music playing
Reading a book

Peardrop50 Fri 24-Jul-20 09:39:01

Freshly washed and ironed bedding top of my list too. I’m lucky enough to own a big press from our days owning holiday cottages.
Guilty pleasure is looking through other people’s homes either via magazines or tv especially while eating toast covered in marmite topped with syrup mmmm

Aepgirl Fri 24-Jul-20 09:33:03

I also love freshly laundered and ironed bed linen. However, several of my friends don’t iron sheets and don’t understand how much better they feel.

Charleygirl5 Thu 23-Jul-20 21:27:28

Many simple things. A coffee out with friends, a shower, clean bedding and a new book to read with my cat beside me waiting for cuddles. Perhaps top of the list is a clean house.