Gransnet forums

Chat

Good Morning Thursday

(52 Posts)
12Michael Thu 23-Jul-20 06:17:05

Good Morning Everyone,
Its clear and dry start here in Brackley but its also cloudy .
Todays trip will be to Bicester only with a coffee and lunch stop , plus a small shop .
Did a bit more research into my weekend break , its looking good as I will fit in visits to Ripon and Knaresborough as well using the busses as well.
The hotel could be quiet as well .
Take Care ,
Mick

Nortsat Thu 23-Jul-20 08:50:35

Good morning Mick and the GM team, from a not very sunny east London, where I am being serenaded by the bin lorry ...

Scentia I couldn’t drink my coffee for laughing about the chair and the smell in the car.
Spangler you couldn’t possibly interrupt Ruby, during her session on the exercise bike, that would demean her dignity. ? (What a lovely girl.)

I have a phone consultation with my consultant from Barts Hospital this morning. I need all my papers and readings ready ... and my mind clear.

Have a good day all and ? to those facing challenges. ?

Anniebach Thu 23-Jul-20 08:51:13

Good morning Auntyflo and all x

harrigran Thu 23-Jul-20 08:52:11

Good morning from a rainy NE, it rained heavily all night.
Click and collect from Sainsbury's this morning.
Had a Skype call from my sister in Germany last night, she appeared quite upbeat.
Nothing much to do today.

Urmstongran Thu 23-Jul-20 08:52:21

Sun’s up here! ?
Good morning everyone from Malaga ?

We got to the beach yesterday afternoon after all! It was a good job I had sunglasses on as our book club read ‘White Chrysanthemums’ had me crying behind them. It is such a poignant story, based on true life, about the atrocities South Korean ‘comfort women’ had to endure in WW2 ‘servicing’ the Japanese soldiers. I’ve nearly read it so will choose something upbeat tomorrow!

Like you Pantglas no plans. We tend to either go for a stroll and find somewhere nice to eat and drink between 2 - 4pm then stay in - or lounge about here and eat out at 8pm once it’s cooler. Decisions, decisions!

gillybob I can only imagine how deflated you must be feeling right now and kitty our youngest gets sinusitis very occasionally and says the pain is something else.

Right, time for a second cuppa. I’m sat on the balcony in the shade with a gentle breeze, it’s lovely.

Hope Thursday is good to us all. Keep safe everyone that’s the main thing. x

Aldom Thu 23-Jul-20 08:56:52

Good morning Mick and everyone. A cloudy start to the day in Oxfordshire. grandeMattie, I'm not far from Denham College! I have a friend who lives in the village. A quiet day today, apart from buying and posting a birthday card nothing planned. Last week I did a shop wearing a face mask, as a practice run. Didn't find it too bad, and I wear specs. At least from Friday we know we are all supposed to wear them, so in that respect I think it's better. Had a happy day with my DD and DGS yesterday. The weather was perfect for coffee and lunch in the garden. Feeling sad as the death of my oldest friend's son approaches. Warm wishes to 'Gillybob' for better times to come. Thinking of all who find life less than easy. Stay safe and well everyone.

Mapleleaf Thu 23-Jul-20 09:01:48

Good morning all,

A dull, muggy but at the moment, dry, morning. It looks as if that will change soon.

Pilates class again shortly - these Thursdays seem to come round very quickly.

A few outdoor chores to do after that, but otherwise, another exciting day doing nothing much!

Look after yourselves.

Gelisajams Thu 23-Jul-20 09:07:59

Good morning from Shetland where the hill we climbed yesterday in glorious sunshine is completely shrouded in mist and drizzle. Will be a lazy day inside today! Take care and stay safe everyone ?

EllanVannin Thu 23-Jul-20 09:10:53

Good Morning All x
Dark here with low cloud hanging, we're certainly going to get a volley of something. I'm soooo fed up with this weather here. sad

That was a great schoolboy howler Scentia along with the stinky chair.grin Made my day and cheered me up.

So glad to learn that your big day went well Gingster. Good for you. I've always thought it a big leap from 69 to 70, I don't know why as it's only a year.

Oh Gillybob, it's relentless isn't it ? So hard to look on the bright side the way things are. x flowers

Had an email yesterday from D ( Oz ) who'd enjoyed her surprise flowers on the doorstep when she got home from work. They were lovely big pink and white roses, scented lilies and various greens. I was relieved that she'd received them alright, though not what was pictured but I wasn't disappointed at the alternative. Not overly expensive either.

Next year is their 40th, so something special. I do have a family ruby and diamond ring and could kick myself for not having given it to her when they were here last year, but I didn't think at the time. Whether there's a safe way of getting it to her, I don't know. Of course it would be easier for me to deliver it myself but the thought of this virus overtakes my thoughts---even 12 months ahead ! This time of year is their winter too.

Must get a store of cat food in today before the mask-wearing comes into play, although I'll still have to abide by the rules after today sad A bit late, eh ?

Anyway, breakfast calls so hoping everyone's in fine fettle and rearing to go grin I know Mick's organised.
Stay safe everyone and thoughts to absent friends, I do hope they're doing alright xx

Have fun in the sun, Urmston, Pantglas and Grandmafrench.x

EllanVannin Thu 23-Jul-20 09:11:22

Bellasnana too x.

Susan56 Thu 23-Jul-20 09:15:43

Good morning from Shropshire where it’s bright at the moment but rain forecast for most of the day.

Taking DGD home later then we will all have a Thai takeaway for our evening meal.

Sorry and cross the order isn’t looking promising for you gilly especially after all the time you have put in.

Sinusitis is awful kitty,hope you feel better soon?

Take care and stay safe everyone and ?to everyone not up to posting at the moment.

BladeAnnie Thu 23-Jul-20 09:18:05

Good morning all from mid-Notts where I think the sun is trying to peep through after a short shower. Enough to keep his Lordship the cat inside though!! Greyduster I have a feeling you support my team too? Despite Monday's woe we can't be too cross with them on the performance over the season. Sainsburys delivery this morning with no substitutions again!! Fishcakes with salad tonight - easy tea smile. Hope everyone has the best day possible and please stay safe x

mancgirl Thu 23-Jul-20 09:18:14

Good morning from a dull Manchester. Went to Trafford Centre yesterday with 2 friends. They drove in together, I wanted to drive there by myself. Outside M&S before opening time, so very quiet when we went, fully masked, into the store. Loads of bargains to be had. Felt like a woman possessed as I haven't been "proper" shopping since March ?. Had a coffee and cake in Debenham's. Hardly anyone in, very quiet. As we left just after lunchtime it was getting busier. Food shop today and a few chores. Gilly you must feel very dispondent but at least not a definite no. Fingers crossed. Have the best day you can everyone. Oh, will the Spanish ladies please send some sun!

honeyrose Thu 23-Jul-20 09:22:21

Good morning everyone. I must be a lazy so and so as still lounging in bed! Tending to go to bed late (about 12.30am), so need to rest my weary bones. Lovely weather here. Will have usual daily walk, watch Homes under the Hammer (yet another repeat!), sewing, reading, jigsaw puzzling, gardening, maybe a phone call with a friend. Nothing overly exciting, but keeping safe. Trying to stay busy and grateful for my life, but missing my grandchildren like crazy! Have a good day everyone.

Newquay Thu 23-Jul-20 09:35:02

I’m the same honey rose-late to bed these days. No point in going up before midnight, sometimes 1am, I wake several times in the night and then am in a good sleep about 8am!

Grammaretto Thu 23-Jul-20 09:42:54

Good morning everyone from the Scottish Borders . We have enough rain here for you all. Such a shame as the garden was looking its best and a friend is due for coffee in an hour. Are we allowed to sit inside?

Our days are "busy" too. All 4 DC phone at some time to check up on us and we phone the APs (aged parents)
Then there are birthday cards to write. Presents to buy (online) meals to plan and knitting to finish. Housework is always there .
I miss my exercise too spangler and don't have an exercise bike never mind one with a cat on it.

Sorry you are feeling despondent about the order Gillybob. It was looking so promising too. Can anyone on here order something? I don't know what you make but if I did and could promote it for you - I would.

Great that you are getting a haircut Marydoll. I have one booked for next week. I was leaning out an upstairs window and the woman I was yelling to admired my hair! She said it was like a halo. wink

Scentia Thu 23-Jul-20 10:05:49

Smelly or not, cannot deny the child a chair? he loves it!

hollysteers Thu 23-Jul-20 10:07:05

Good morning Mick and all.
Your trip sounds nice Mick, Knaresborough and Ripon are lovely.
Wet here, but a rather exciting day ahead, a masked trip to the Range shop and another little shop for bits and pieces missed off click and collect. Tentative steps.
My cabin crew son is back flying this week, not long haul as usual but there and back in Europe and Turkey. A heavy schedule and his job is still not secure, but he’s very pleased and so am I.

Gwenisgreat1 Thu 23-Jul-20 10:45:46

Good Morning from dreary Harrogate. Trying to have my morning chat before GD arrives, then it's bedlam!! She was here on Tuesday!! love her dearly but a 4 year old is 'full on!' We went to the swing park where she insisted on wearing flipflops. It didn't take her long to fall over them! Watch this space for today!
My thoughts are with you Gillybob, I hope it works out well. Did I gather you suffer from Restless legs? I give my DH Rutin, it's sorted his problem!

GrannyGravy13 Thu 23-Jul-20 10:51:39

Good morning Mick and all

Warm and bright in S E Essex.

I have found a passport renewal form amongst our paper work and my job this morning is to fill it in as my current one is about to run out. For some unknown reason it is one of my most dreaded jobs!!

Oh gillybob I do hope that flipping firm has a rethink and you get the order ?

Keep safe and well folks ?‍♀️

Jaxjacky Thu 23-Jul-20 10:58:03

@Scentia if you rinse glasses with W. Up liquid/soap they don’t mist up wearing a mask

Marydoll Thu 23-Jul-20 11:04:29

Jaxjacky sorry to disagree with you, but opticians advise against this. It damages the lenses.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Thu 23-Jul-20 11:19:36

Morning all from South Notts where it's warm with pale skies. Not much doing today. Yesterday I mowed the lawn. I'd been hoping to leave it like a mini wildflower meadow with buttercups and clover but was horrified to see, for the first time, a rat in the garden. Apparently they like to hide in the undergrowth so it had to go. What a shame.
Hope all is well with everyone, especially those with worries or illness.

Legs55 Thu 23-Jul-20 11:39:18

Morning all, overcast here in Devon, may get some much needed rain later I'd rather have sun & rain at night . Ooops spoke too soon, it's raining now, not heavy, will it last??

Not sure what my plans are for today, might pop in to Town later for some cat food. Need to make some phone calls if I can get throughhmm

Auntieflo Thu 23-Jul-20 11:52:31

Good morning Mick, Annie, and all.
We have just had a trip to Sainsburys, to collect a new Humax recorder thingy, from the in store Argos.
While there I found a couple if really nice mugs, that came home with us.
So 2 in, 2 out.
Then I phoned the RAC about them renewing my insurance by CPA, and although they take the money immediately, it will not be back in my bank until Monday. That's 17 days! Why?
A friend is coming for a cuppa this afternoon, and I am hoping ro pick her brains about my garden. Hers is beautiful.

DH is now setting up the new recorder, and we will keep the old one until I have watched all my recorded programmes.

Yesterday afternoon, we had a police helicopter circling continuously for ages overhead. We evidently have some naughty people around, and I hope they found who or what they were looking for.

Have to think of what we can have for supper tonight, so will hope for inspiration.
Have a good day one and all.

dani4 Thu 23-Jul-20 12:03:07

Scentia - I'm still laughing! smile smile