Gransnet forums

Chat

The baboons are rioting at Knowsley Safari Park. Allegedly! We are going to Woburn ?

(48 Posts)
PamelaJ1 Mon 27-Jul-20 08:01:01

We are going this week. Well to Woburn.

Yesterday there was an article about the baboons at Knowsley in the paper. Luckily my husband missed it. Damn, it’s-in the paper again this morning and he didn’t miss it.
Apparently they have somehow managed to arm themselves with all sorts of implements and are dismantling what they can. Chainsaws have been mentioned.

My DH wasn’t keen before, now he’s very very unhappy.?
We are going in my car anyway because mine is old and I am not bothered about a ‘little’ damage.
Hope I’ve made the right decision.

I presume that quite a few of you have had the experience in the recent past. Any horror stories? Hopefully you all had a wonderful time.

GrandmasueUK Mon 27-Jul-20 14:38:38

Oops that was such a funny story. I just read it out to my OH and could hardly manage it for laughing!

Framilode Mon 27-Jul-20 16:42:55

We pulled up at a garage in Kenya and whilst my husband was seeing to the petrol I started eating a banana. Quick as a flash a baboon appeared and swiped it from my hand. They can be quite vicious.

Chewbacca Mon 27-Jul-20 16:48:54

Knowsley used to be an okay place until the dross moved there.

Is there nothing that don't you look down your nose at and scorn EV?

The last time we went to Knwsley Safari park 2 monkeys started bonking on our car bonnet and nothing we did, peeping the horn etc would move them. The kids in the back seat kept saying "What are they doing mummy?"

PamelaJ1 Mon 27-Jul-20 16:51:49

Oops my DH sounds like your dad. Let’s hope my little car doesn’t suffer like your mums. It hasn’t any wood, I hope that was the attraction?
Disco s* I can deal with!

avitorl Mon 27-Jul-20 16:54:29

Yesterday a friend told me about people she knew with a holiday home in S.Africa which has a beautiful infinity pool.Problem was they couldn't use the pool because the baboons love swimming in it.

infoman Mon 27-Jul-20 17:58:54

Slightly off topic,the Norman Wisdom film "up in the world" was filmed at Woburn Abbey.
The scene is the football match with one of the teams in
Black and white quarters,blue and white quarters or maybe red and white quarters.
If any one might be able to shed any light on what colours the team was actually wearing it would be much appreciated.
Thanking you in advance

Oopsminty Mon 27-Jul-20 18:02:26

GrandmasueUK

Oops that was such a funny story. I just read it out to my OH and could hardly manage it for laughing!

Thank you GrandmasueUK!

It certainly was an hilarious day!

And a story that all the family have heard smile

timetogo2016 Mon 27-Jul-20 18:37:04

Baboons lives matters. { light hearted ]
Hope these tools etc get taken off them they could damage cars and themselves.

ladymuck Mon 27-Jul-20 18:42:19

Is this a case of baboons copying humans or humans copying baboons? Hard to tell the difference!

Urmstongran Mon 27-Jul-20 19:40:33

Years ago our eldest daughter and her friend went to Gibraltar and one of the Barbary apes leapt down onto her back! She said it was heavy and it frightened the life out of her.
?

Callistemon Mon 27-Jul-20 20:00:30

Maggiemaybe

Oh dear! This reminds me of the monkey that hitched a ride with John and Kayleigh in Car Share. Check your roof as you leave, Pamelaj1!

Oh yes, a classic.
I must try to watch it again.

I hope to see footage of your escapades with the baboons on GN, PamelaJ1!

Chewbacca [ grin] the bonking baboons!

Last time we went anywhere the apes (can't remember which type) turned their backs on us.
So rude, they have no manners today.
???

downtoearth Mon 27-Jul-20 21:25:04

We toook the children to Chessingto many years ago,the Gorillas where in a large open top enclosure.

A huge crowd had gathered around watching their antics,when a huge King Kong of a gorilla appeared out of the sleeping area at the back.
He looked like a lot of men first thing ,grumpy, hairy,and scratching his bits.

He obviously did not like the crowd,fortunately being at the back, we where out of range as he did a massive hot steaming deposit into his hand,and threw it into the crowdgrin

MawB Mon 27-Jul-20 22:08:41

I have heard a rumour that baboons at other safari parks are joining in - it’s called joined up rioting
(I’ll get my coat)

Chewbacca Mon 27-Jul-20 22:10:16

Oh Maw! grin

Smileless2012 Tue 28-Jul-20 13:45:08

gringrin no don't leave Maw, I'm waiting for your next one.

Urmstongran Tue 28-Jul-20 20:07:55

Lopburi, Thailand is being overrun by its once-revered macaques, a Southeast Asian species of monkey. Tourists and pilgrims who visited the old town, the onetime capital of a Siamese kingdom and repository of ancient architecture, used to feed the monkeys, but now that the pandemic is keeping visitors away, monkeys have begun spilling out of Lopburi’s ancient temples in search of food, accosting people on the street.

The macaque population is growing, with at least 8,400 in the area concentrated in a few city blocks. Their audacity has decimated parts of the local economy: in recent years, territorial troupes of macaques roaming the neighborhood have forced dozens of businesses — including a music school, gold shop, barber, cell phone store, and movie theater — to close.

Unless security guards are present, the monkeys rip antennas and windshield wipers off parked cars. Dangling earrings, sunglasses. In areas where the animals are most densely packed, many residents live in fear of the next sneak attack.

Local wildlife officials have begun sterilizing the monkeys en masse to control their numbers. More than 300 underwent surgery last month and 200 more will be sterilized in August. (NYT)

EllanVannin Tue 28-Jul-20 21:19:42

I was born not a million miles away from Knowsley, in Whiston and in the 40's and 50's growing up, all surrounding areas, Prescot, Rainhill, St Helens were marvellous places. I worked at Whiston Hospital.

I moved over the water to Wirral when I got married and have visited friends in Whiston who've lived in the same house all their lives and they're saddened at the way these places have changed---not for the better.

When I read the Echo every day there's always some crime happening in Knowsley--which is not how I remember the place at all and why I mentioned dross. They spoil every area wherever they go and live.
Huyton with Roby was also a nice place as I knew someone who lived in Archway road.

PamelaJ1 Mon 03-Aug-20 06:33:35

Well we have been and we have survived!

We had a lovely day. We went through the park, including the monkey enclosure which is optional. We survived but not everyone escaped unscathed. We watched as a white Merida had its wipers slowly bent over. The car looked as though it had horns.
We thought the bear was going to knock on our window. The lions were lazy, just snoozing in the sun, apart from the cubs who were having a great time in a separate enclosure with their mum.
The open area by the lake was quite busy but we were all outside and social distancing was being observed. We went into the sea lion show and it was lovely, they only used every second row, we filed in and filed out.

We went round the park again and saw the tiger, he had been asleep or hiding the first time. It was also much quieter than the morning run. We gave the monkeys a miss the second time. Frightened our luck may have run out!

A lovely day out that anyone could enjoy without worrying about getting too close to anyone else.

NanKate Mon 03-Aug-20 06:55:17

Many years ago we took our 7 year old son to Windsor Safari Park. Half way round the monkey enclosure he said he was desperate for a wee. shock We opened the door and he aimed out onto the ground. We must have been totally mad. I must tell his 7 and 9 year old sons when they visit next week. ?

PamelaJ1 Mon 03-Aug-20 07:14:11

Gosh Nan., you lived dangerously.?

MawB Mon 03-Aug-20 07:33:26

Well that’s a relief Pamela ! You got off lightly.
Last time we were at a Safari Park, the baboons were causing a ruckus on the perimeter boundary - the rioting was on the wall

grin(I’ll get me coat)

Querty Mon 03-Aug-20 08:18:53

Maw, and it’s early on a Monday morning. ???
Nothing wrong with your brain.!