Gransnet forums

Chat

Anyone know anything about china?

(36 Posts)
Luckygirl Wed 05-Aug-20 17:13:13

I am trying to get rid of my grandmother's dinner service. I know zilch about china. On the back of it all are:

- Waring and Gillow (I think that is the retailer)
- Old Chelsea (I think that is the design)
- Bridgwood - with an anchor design below it (I think this might be the manufacturer).

It is a 30 piece set in very good condition. I have trawled the internet but cannot find the answers to my queries. I do not know whether it should just go to a charity shop, or whether there is money to be made on it that might go towards my stairlift. Not a clue!

Anyone know anything about this sort of stuff?

BlueBelle Wed 05-Aug-20 17:21:59

There’s a waring and gillow “old chealsea” teapot only..... going for £20 on eBay that’s just the tea pot
If that’s any help, I d eBay it !

Juliette Wed 05-Aug-20 17:25:56

Put Bridgwood China backstamps in your search engine Luckygirl lots of information there.

rockgran Wed 05-Aug-20 17:27:37

I just had a look on eBay-you can see some items to get an idea of their price. There is a teapot on for £20.

Luckygirl Wed 05-Aug-20 17:53:48

Thanks for these ideas.

It is very hard to get some sort of picture of the value of a whole dinner service. I do not know what is most relevant from the marks: Bridgwood or Waring and Gillow. I cannot find any whole services listed anywhere.

Callistemon fund a dinner service on ebay for £390, but it was Limoges/Waring and Gillow (who were furniture manufacturers!).

I can feel a charity shop beckoning!!!

Missfoodlove Wed 05-Aug-20 18:39:04

If you would like to PM me I have a number for a lady that buys whole/part dinner services.
She gave me a fair price for some Wedgwood, she was happy to collect.

phoenix Wed 05-Aug-20 18:45:19

Luckygirl no, not charity shop! Try to sell it first.

Yes, it can be a bit of a pain, but give it a go!

Jane10 Wed 05-Aug-20 18:48:28

It's very sad how little value these old sets seem to have these days.

BlueBelle Wed 05-Aug-20 18:49:59

Try first I think it deserves a try before going to the charity shop Put it on eBay, for say £40 and see where it goes you can always remove it if you don’t see any interest

BlueBelle Wed 05-Aug-20 18:53:32

A couple of years ago I put a pottery not China (but Chinese) tea pot, I had bought back for my Nan 50 odd years ago on eBay I put it on for ten maybe fifteen pounds it was a thick bland sandy colour with some Chinese writing on it It went up past £100 I was absolutely delighted And terrible surprised it wasn’t pretty at all I ve no idea what the writing said !!!

Fennel Wed 05-Aug-20 19:02:24

This was back in 2002 when my Mum died and I cleared their house.
They had some beautiful china sets - one was a teaset made of very fragile china from China itself, passed down from GGPs.
I showed some of the pieces to people at local auctioneers but they said there's no demand now.

Urmstongran Wed 05-Aug-20 19:20:03

Shame isn’t it when tastes change and what was once beloved becomes unloved now? That dinner service was probably expensive to buy in its day too. Now? Little interest. So sad.
A sign of the times.
?

BlueBelle Wed 05-Aug-20 19:32:27

Did you keep it fennel as anything from China is making money now they are paying silly money to buy back their stuff

midgey Wed 05-Aug-20 20:00:15

There is a company called China Search, they might make an offer? Try googling them.

kittylester Wed 05-Aug-20 20:03:00

A link - but Google china matchers, there are quite a few.

www.chinamatchers.co.uk/

annodomini Wed 05-Aug-20 20:31:42

If you want to sell something so breakable on EBay, it's quite a job to package it securely and work out post and packing costs. A full tea service would be a big undertaking. It might be worthwhile taking it to an auction room. You might not get very much for it, but at least it would be off your hands

Willow500 Wed 05-Aug-20 21:28:39

I contacted a couple of online buyers of china this week about my mum's dinner service which I need to find a home for. Both came back and said they weren't interested. You could try them as you know the manufactures of your china.

I'm thinking it might have to go to charity along with hundreds of Cds and DVD's which none of the online buyers want either. I spent most of yesterday afternoon scanning the barcodes in for them only to find them being worthless. I'd rather give them away sad

starshine Wed 05-Aug-20 21:33:20

I wish you luck - do try selling it though. I'm trying to decide about my mum's crown derby collection. I could cry to think that she paid hundreds of pounds of her hard earned money for it (it was her pride and joy) but people don't seem to want to pay even a third of the price the shops are asking! I gave the less valuable but very pretty Victorian sets to a local tea shop. My mum would have been happy about that smile

Luckygirl Wed 05-Aug-20 21:35:29

I too have drawn a blank with china buyers; but my SIL found a website for CDs and DVDs and downloaded an app - you scan the barcode on the CDs and DVDs with your smartphone. And they organise to pick them up - I stand to make about £100 on that. My kind family have taken them away and are going to organise the collection from theirs, so that it is one more ting off my brain.

Luckylegs Wed 05-Aug-20 21:42:40

Waring and Gillow had their factory in Lancaster where I’m from and they were high class furniture manufacturers, highly prized even today. Never knew they had anything to do with China.

Luckylegs Wed 05-Aug-20 21:43:09

china not China

Luckygirl Wed 05-Aug-20 22:00:20

That is what puzzled me - I could only find the furniture with reference to them.

Nortsat Wed 05-Aug-20 22:20:52

I suggest listing it on eBay for a modest amount and rerun the listing 3 or 4 times, if it doesn’t go immediately.

Then, if it still hasn’t sold and you are minded, consider listing and selling in smaller lots. People buy trios and smaller groupings.

I bought several small lots of Doulton on EBay, to complete a set which had belonged to my grandmother. The seller packed it in a big, strong cardboard box with lots of newspaper, it arrived safely, all in tact. She also included a couple of extra items at no cost, as I had taken so many pieces.

I think the eBay route can be time consuming.
I am sure your local WI would like it for raffle prizes. ?

annodomini Wed 05-Aug-20 23:01:56

Waring and Gillow also had a shop on Deansgate in Manchester. It vanished quite some time ago and I never went in, but presumably they sold china and other items which accessorised their furniture.

kittylester Thu 06-Aug-20 07:58:13

Weren't there a few Waring and Gillows around. I'm fairly sure there was one in Leicester.