Gransnet forums

Chat

Anyone know anything about china?

(36 Posts)
Fennel Wed 05-Aug-20 19:02:24

This was back in 2002 when my Mum died and I cleared their house.
They had some beautiful china sets - one was a teaset made of very fragile china from China itself, passed down from GGPs.
I showed some of the pieces to people at local auctioneers but they said there's no demand now.

BlueBelle Wed 05-Aug-20 18:53:32

A couple of years ago I put a pottery not China (but Chinese) tea pot, I had bought back for my Nan 50 odd years ago on eBay I put it on for ten maybe fifteen pounds it was a thick bland sandy colour with some Chinese writing on it It went up past £100 I was absolutely delighted And terrible surprised it wasn’t pretty at all I ve no idea what the writing said !!!

BlueBelle Wed 05-Aug-20 18:49:59

Try first I think it deserves a try before going to the charity shop Put it on eBay, for say £40 and see where it goes you can always remove it if you don’t see any interest

Jane10 Wed 05-Aug-20 18:48:28

It's very sad how little value these old sets seem to have these days.

phoenix Wed 05-Aug-20 18:45:19

Luckygirl no, not charity shop! Try to sell it first.

Yes, it can be a bit of a pain, but give it a go!

Missfoodlove Wed 05-Aug-20 18:39:04

If you would like to PM me I have a number for a lady that buys whole/part dinner services.
She gave me a fair price for some Wedgwood, she was happy to collect.

Luckygirl Wed 05-Aug-20 17:53:48

Thanks for these ideas.

It is very hard to get some sort of picture of the value of a whole dinner service. I do not know what is most relevant from the marks: Bridgwood or Waring and Gillow. I cannot find any whole services listed anywhere.

Callistemon fund a dinner service on ebay for £390, but it was Limoges/Waring and Gillow (who were furniture manufacturers!).

I can feel a charity shop beckoning!!!

rockgran Wed 05-Aug-20 17:27:37

I just had a look on eBay-you can see some items to get an idea of their price. There is a teapot on for £20.

Juliette Wed 05-Aug-20 17:25:56

Put Bridgwood China backstamps in your search engine Luckygirl lots of information there.

BlueBelle Wed 05-Aug-20 17:21:59

There’s a waring and gillow “old chealsea” teapot only..... going for £20 on eBay that’s just the tea pot
If that’s any help, I d eBay it !

Luckygirl Wed 05-Aug-20 17:13:13

I am trying to get rid of my grandmother's dinner service. I know zilch about china. On the back of it all are:

- Waring and Gillow (I think that is the retailer)
- Old Chelsea (I think that is the design)
- Bridgwood - with an anchor design below it (I think this might be the manufacturer).

It is a 30 piece set in very good condition. I have trawled the internet but cannot find the answers to my queries. I do not know whether it should just go to a charity shop, or whether there is money to be made on it that might go towards my stairlift. Not a clue!

Anyone know anything about this sort of stuff?