Gransnet forums

Chat

I have some treasured heirlooms

(124 Posts)
Whitewavemark2 Thu 06-Aug-20 08:19:40

Thought it would be nice to hear what people have that they treasure from their ancestors.

The most precious I think are an uncles letters sent to my aunt when he was prisoner of war in japan. 25 words only allowed and censored.

I also have a black silk taffeta best dress my great grandmother wore on Sunday. It is absolutely tiny.

Jewellery of course, but I like the everyday stuff best. Tea sets and tea pots.

My grandfathers gardening book is something else I constantly refer to. It was published in the 30s and some of the photos of gardens are delightful.

Callistemon Thu 06-Aug-20 10:05:13

My great grandma was Rosanna too!
But not Cornish.

Whitewavemark2 Thu 06-Aug-20 10:06:09

What history there is!

Whitewavemark2 Thu 06-Aug-20 10:06:49

Callistemon

My great grandma was Rosanna too!
But not Cornish.

It is a lovely name I think.

threexnanny Thu 06-Aug-20 10:07:49

I have a piece of clothing which belonged to my grandmother's grandmother - about 150 years old.
Also have several bits of needlework done by my great grandmother.

Whitewavemark2 Thu 06-Aug-20 10:09:49

threexnanny

I have a piece of clothing which belonged to my grandmother's grandmother - about 150 years old.
Also have several bits of needlework done by my great grandmother.

What is the material and colour?

threexnanny Thu 06-Aug-20 10:11:10

It's a lace hat.

geekesse Thu 06-Aug-20 10:12:53

Before my parents got married, my Dad acquired a small soft-toy camel. He left the RAF soon after they were married, and his stripes were sewn to the camel’s legs. Over the years he put badges and pins on it from things we did or achieved as a family - a CND badge from the Aldermaston marches which he policed, my Tufty Club badge, BOAC Junior Jet Club badge, school prefect badge, my first nursing name badge etc. When he died, it was the only thing of his I really wanted, and the rest of the family weren’t bothered so it now sits on my piano.

It has no monetary value at all, but it’s the story of my childhood, and it’s worth the world to me.

Chewbacca Thu 06-Aug-20 10:13:02

I'd forgotten about the photographs! I've got several photos of my maternal grandmother, all of them in sepia. One is of her in a group photograph in school; all the children look rather unkempt! Others are of her in service at the age of 15 and some others of her on her 21st birthday. Older photographs are of my grandmother's parents and their little dog. Those are on sepia tin plate.

Lindylou57 Thu 06-Aug-20 10:14:02

I have my Grandmothers engagement ring which sadly only fits my little finger, but who knows, one day if the diet works! I also have postcards sent to her from WW1 by her then young man. He wasn't considered good enough for her by her parents so she married my Grandad. The postcards are really beautiful and so sweet.

craftyone Thu 06-Aug-20 10:14:14

We had letters from mum to dad and vice versa, when they were apart during the end of the war, when mum could hardly afford a stamp. We destroyed them, they were very personal to my parents. I did the same with letters to me from my husband, I destroyed them after he died, they were for my eyes only, not to be passed around as exhibits

Coconut Thu 06-Aug-20 10:14:31

I’m just renovating this lovely old screen that was my darling Nan’s ....

Chewbacca Thu 06-Aug-20 10:16:40

That's a lovely thing to have Coconut.

Froglady Thu 06-Aug-20 10:17:46

We have a sampler done by my great grandmother which is well over 100 years old. We also have a grandmother click which was given to my grandparents when they got married, again over 100 years old.

kittylester Thu 06-Aug-20 10:18:56

J52 that is spooky.

I've just remembered lots of table cloths, tray cloths and napkins embroidered by either my nan or DH's mum. They never see the light of day now but I can't throw them away.

Paperbackwriter Thu 06-Aug-20 10:20:01

I have an Ossie Clark blouse, yellow, in silk georgette with a black/grey design by Celia Birtwell on it. It's a teeny size 8 and I remember wearing it with nothing underneath even though it's fairly see-through. Reminds me of happy, carefree times in my late teens. Also - 5 years of teenage diaries, each one showing what a boy-obsessed little numpty I was back then. Great fun to read though and a great reminder of all the fabulous bands I went to see. I guess none of these are what you'd call heirlooms though.

Grandmabeach Thu 06-Aug-20 10:25:08

My grandmother's wedding ring which she nearly sold in the depression after WWI when she had nothing left to buy food for her children. It reminds me of how fortunate I am.

Chall6q Thu 06-Aug-20 10:28:37

My treasured possession might seem rather odd. It is a very old wooden step ladder. It belonged to my late father-,in-law, who was the sweetest man ever. I love decorating and use it all the time. It is rickety and covered in paint. We now have new stepladders but I never use them!

libra10 Thu 06-Aug-20 10:31:40

I cherish an old Waltham fob watch and a set of old postcards in a tattered old book, left to me by my great aunt Fan. The back of the watch is engraved, and she had the same initials as I do now.

Framilode Thu 06-Aug-20 10:31:44

I have my Dad's wartime scrapbook. He was an officer in the Royal Signals and was at Dunkirk and Alamein.
I have the pre-printed card he was allowed to send to my mother after Dunkirk. He could only tick that he was safe and well.
Also I have the Orders for the Day for the start of the Battle of Alamein. They end 'Men do your duty'.

TanaMa Thu 06-Aug-20 10:38:14

I have a birthday greeting from my Dad sent on the only approved memo, where you crossed out the messages not relevant. He was a 'Desert Rat' and was missing presumed killed at one time. Luckily he was later found in an army hospital.
Also still have a ration book and some petrol coupons!!

Chewbacca Thu 06-Aug-20 10:40:36

Thanks for starting this thread WhiteWave, it's lovely to read about everyone's treasures.

Whitewavemark2 Thu 06-Aug-20 10:44:22

I do think that the every day mundane things are so much more interesting than the more expensive items.

It is probably a good idea to reappraise some of the everyday stuff we use.

Whitewavemark2 Thu 06-Aug-20 10:51:50

threexnanny

It's a lace hat.

Oh what a picture that springs to mind! All the Dickens series.

jaylucy Thu 06-Aug-20 10:54:46

I have 2 sets of side plate, cup and saucer. One was my mother's "best" and one her mum's "best"
I never met my maternal grandmother as she died when my mum was in her late teens - but I do have a ring that was her engagement ring and her glasses(not sure why mum kept them)
A bracelet made out of silver threepenny bits from my nan and a brooch that was my mum's stepmother's, that she gave me when I was about 10 because she knew that I liked it- probably not worth anything! I was also promised 1 of her elephant ornaments that she had lined up on her mantlepiece . Unfortunately, they were stolen by a kleptomaniac patient in the first elderly persons home that she was in !

Romola Thu 06-Aug-20 10:56:40

Definitely my mother's and grandmother's sewing table including her inch tape-measure and the needle-case I remember watching her make when I was about five.
But my daughter has no interest in needlework and when my sewing-machine blew its motor, I took back from her the one we gave her as a teenager!