Gransnet forums

Chat

Do you enter competitions , how lucky are you.

(34 Posts)
TrendyNannie6 Thu 06-Aug-20 17:38:24

I love entering competitions including the gransnet ones, but despite years of end Teri game never won a bean

TrendyNannie6 Thu 06-Aug-20 17:38:47

Entering them

harrigran Thu 06-Aug-20 17:47:39

I used to win prizes often including several from GN but they have dried up since the membership got larger.
The best prize I ever won was tickets for a rock concert, teenage DD was desperate to go and couldn't get tickets for love nor money, I made a late entry to a local newspaper competition and won the coveted prize.

monk08 Thu 06-Aug-20 18:47:59

My hobby is competitions have won many prizes. Cruises, weekend breaks,mini clubman,5 nights in New York for 4 people, spa breaks, jewellery. Plus lots of other holidays, books kitchen appliances. But favourite must be a wks ballooning in Italy including trip to Monaco and vineyard tour.

Marydoll Thu 06-Aug-20 18:52:16

I enter most competitions on GN, but have never won a sausage! Oh well, I'm lucky in love. wink
I loved it when Chewy won all those books, I really envied her, until she said she didn't know where to store them!!!

Charleygirl5 Thu 06-Aug-20 19:05:19

The only thing I have ever won was a tremendous number of books from GN.

Kate1949 Thu 06-Aug-20 19:13:42

I've recently won a £100 voucher of my choice on Gransnet! I was gobsmacked. I chose Marks & Spencer. Cheered up my lockdown.

Kate1949 Thu 06-Aug-20 19:15:35

Oh and in 1965 I won a competition to sit on stage with The Beatles. Going back some though!

tidyskatemum Thu 06-Aug-20 19:24:25

I’ve been entering competitions for years but pickings have been pretty slim for the last year or so. In the past I’ve won a couple of trips away in the UK, several vouchers for clothes up to £500, books and kitchen utensils. Nothing from GN. It’s funny how some people seem to be born lucky and win all sorts and others never get anything.

Granniesunite Thu 06-Aug-20 19:30:46

I’ve just been informed byGNHQ I’ve won a break away for two. I’m speechless and can’t quite believe it. I’ve only entered competitions on GN. I received a book of the month some time ago also. Think I’ll get myself. Lottery ticket. So pleased.

MiniMoon Thu 06-Aug-20 19:56:50

The only thing I ever won was a pair of sheets. At the time, I was a teenager, and still living at home.
I don't think my mother ever used them, they were the horrible white scratchy type.

I managed a Gransnet book of the month, but only once.

mary51 Fri 07-Aug-20 07:44:01

I won quite a few things when comps were based on a slogan and order of merit. I won a year's gym membership once but the best ever was a luxury hotel weekend in Paris with £1000 to spend in Dior or St Laurent. This was in early 90s and my lifestyle did not justify spending £500 or so on designer fashion so I just had the cash instead!

I did win Book of the Month just after starting on Gransnet and that was a real surprise.

Alishka Fri 07-Aug-20 08:48:21

Me, never. Not surprising tho cos I don't enter themsmile
My mother, tho, was extraordinarily lucky and when I was living in Italy she handily won 2 weeks for her and Dad in Venice. I travelled up there and we had a fab time together.
After Dad died, she joined a Club and was so lucky at the various bingo/competitions etc. they begged her to not enter "to give the others a chance".

rubysong Fri 07-Aug-20 09:15:06

I am quite lucky. The last raffle prize was three plastic pan scourers, before lockdown. We always have weird prizes at the village hall film club, sometimes it's more fun than the film! I also won a lovely rocking horse from GN. DGD was here yesterday and spent a lot of time on it. DGS is now crawling and will soon be using it as well, so thank you GN.

annodomini Fri 07-Aug-20 09:16:19

Very early in the life of Gransnet, I won a weekend for two in a nice hotel. Nothing since!
Many years ago, I entered a competition to win a microwave, came second and won a microwave cookbook!

Bobbysgirl19 Fri 07-Aug-20 09:58:52

I used to win the odd small thing but since the advent of Facebook Twitter and the like - which I don't do, winnings just dried up !
Gosh what a haul of prizes monk08 - well done, do you enter
loads?

ladymuck Fri 07-Aug-20 10:03:08

I once won £500 for doing a crossword. I felt so guilty that I haven't entered any more competitions. It just seemed wrong to get all that money for doing something I enjoy anyway.

henetha Fri 07-Aug-20 11:19:07

I once won a weekend in London for four, including tickets to the London Palladium.

Oldbat1 Fri 07-Aug-20 11:21:20

No never win things. Even on tombola stalls “anything ending with 0 or 5 is a winner”. Nothing from Grans Net. Someone obviously wins but just not me.

gillybob Fri 07-Aug-20 11:31:16

I have lots of luck....pity its all bad grin

Seriously when I was 18 I won a fridge in a Silentnight bed competition. I also won the famous Hippo and Chick if you can remember the adverts. The fridge was the only new thing I had in my little flat .

I once won a GN competition for a meal at a NE restaurant. It was a good way from where I live but I would have still gone if the the restrictions weren't so crazy (can only go Monday-Wednesday, can only eat between 5pm and 7pm, must be used before the Christmas menu opens which was only 3 weeks away etc.....) it was a kind of non prize .

lovebeigecardigans1955 Fri 07-Aug-20 12:41:12

We've had some luck over the years. DH won a two-week camping and cycling holiday in Brittany which was good, he also won a cycling top with a French cycling magazine.

I won £1000 in a prize draw with a vitamins company, £60 worth of underwear at M&S and a signed autobiography by the England rugby player Mike Catt with Ceefax - remember them? In a tombola I won a pack of Royal Jelly goodies (hand cream etc) and a set of small mixing bowls.

As part of a works syndicate I won about £85 and once £25 for getting three numbers on the Lottery but not a sausage since.

monk08 Fri 07-Aug-20 14:54:02

Bobbysgirl19 yes enter at least 10 every day, only enter free to enter ones not on Facebook they have loads but do not want to be doing with that. But it's fun when a parcel arrives and you don't know its contents and when you have a phone call telling you that you've won a holiday.

quizqueen Fri 07-Aug-20 15:03:10

I used to win loads when there was some skill involved like making up a slogan or solving a puzzle but competitions all seem to be just prize draws nowadays and answers can be found on the internet.

In the past, I have won 3 holidays, a car, tv, concert tickets, money/vouchers, books, games, toys and lots of tat.

JackyB Fri 07-Aug-20 17:29:47

I once entered all competitions going for a year or two on the basis that if I entered loads, I was bound to win something, but never a sausage.

I don't seem to have inherited my grandmother's lucky gene.

Jane43 Fri 07-Aug-20 19:05:57

When I was first married, so 1965, there was a competition on bottles of orange squash, there was an entry form with your purchase. The prize was a food mixer which was given away every week. I would have loved it and I made a few entries but didn’t win. You had to solve a puzzle saying how many triangles there were in a diagram, DH confirmed that my answer was right. A lady I worked with was entering the same competition and asked me what my answer was, I told her and she was getting it wrong. Guess what, the next entry she made with the right answer she won a food mixer!

I entered a few competitions afterwards but never won anything until in the early 1990s I entered a competition about travellers cheques. You had to include a slogan with your entry, the prize was £1000. DH’s sister had moved to Canada a few years previously and he would have loved to go to visit her but we couldn’t afford it at the time. I had a letter one morning to tell me I’d won and to ring a number to arrange payment of the prize. I was so excited all day, looking forward to telling DH we could go to Canada. That was our first trip to Canada and we went there many times afterwards when our finances improved.