Gransnet forums

Chat

How much? The price of what stuff surprises you?

(57 Posts)
vegansrock Fri 07-Aug-20 08:06:44

Getting my MOT done and the garage said that what looks like a small plastic tray which protects the engine underneath costs £350 to replace!!!! ( I went for a repair not a new one btw). I am also shocked when having to buy ink for my printer - why is it so expensive? Is there anything you’ve noticed which you don’t understand why it costs so much ?

suziewoozie Tue 11-Aug-20 21:55:19

I have an Epson printer and use cartridges from
www.firstcallinks.co.uk/. I’ve used them for years and the printer is fine. Their service is very speedy and every order comes with a 10% off voucher to use against your next order, They came out very well in the recent Which survey. Which also mentioned that HP have developed printer soft ware that can recognise when it’s a non HP cartridge and stop the printer working. It’s illegal at the moment in the
this country but apparently in use elsewhere.

I really would recommend these ink cartridges

LadyBella Tue 11-Aug-20 22:03:46

I am always shocked at the price of eating out. Afterwards I always think what else I could have done with the money. I often think food is gone in minutes whereas if I spent the same amount on plants they might last for years.

GagaJo Tue 11-Aug-20 22:20:56

Prescriptions. I have to pay and don't resent it, I can afford it. But still. A lot of money.

Totally the other end of the spectrum, but the prices people will pay for cars! They live in little shoe box houses or flats, then spend 20/30K on a car. Why?? Just to get them from point A to B. I've never been a car person and just think paying anything other than a sensible price is ridiculous.

jools66 Tue 11-Aug-20 22:34:43

Nortsat

I know this is trivial compared with your astronomical car repair costs vegansrock but STAMPS !
I buy a book of 12 first class and they cleverly don’t say the cost of the actual stamp, they now just have ‘1st’ printed on them.

They are .76p each, that’s £9.12 for a book of 12. (That’s more than 15 shillings to post a letter).
At Chr***mas, I buy a couple of books of second class, well in advance, to send my cards.

There is no price on 1st or 2nd class stamps so that they don't have to be changed when the prices are increased, if you are on the ball you can stock-pile stamps just before a price increase (usually in the spring) and save yourself some money in December. I was a P.O. manager until recently and all my family used to get me to let them know when the price increase would be so that they could stock up.

HurdyGurdy Tue 11-Aug-20 22:49:59

The cost of having an extension built!

About four years ago, we had plans drawn up to knock our kitchen and "utility room" (which was actually bigger than the kitchen) into one, and add a small extension to square the room off.

My husband said it should cost about £6-7,000. I thought he was being a bit hopeful, and I thought around £15-18,000

The three quotes came in at between £28,000 and £32,000. Just for the building work. Add to that the cost of the actual kitchen, appliances, flooring, tiling etc, and it was an eye watering sum of money to improve the kitchen.

Needless to say we didn't go ahead

SueDonim Tue 11-Aug-20 23:30:41

I’ve been trying to get some work done on the hard scaping of our garden - paths and steps renovated & the drive laidmwith more chuckies.

The estimates began at £3000 and went up to £11,000, which was out of the question for us to pay. The expense was because none of the people I asked to quote wouldn’t stick to doing what I wanted. It was very much a matter of tooth-sucking from them followed by statements such as ‘If you want me to do this, I’ll need to do that and something else as well.’ One of them claimed that the patio needed completely re-laying (I just wanted it power washed) and another that the entire drive Needed lifting and levelling.

I gave up until lockdown when I was told about a chap who was looking for handyman work. He’s done a fine job, exactly what I asked for, wouldn’t let me pay a penny more than necessary for materials and it has cost £1500 tops.