Gransnet forums

Chat

The former First Lady has given voice to a feeling experienced by many: long-term low mood brought on by world events

(67 Posts)
Urmstongran Sat 08-Aug-20 08:46:57

Michelle Obama shares how she is feeling in her second podcast.

I read her autobiography last year - ‘Becoming’ - and really admire her. She seems such a warm and caring person.

maddyone Sat 08-Aug-20 12:07:52

I have suffered from clinical depression (as described above) and it absolutely is not feeling a bit low. It’s a feeling of nothing, emptiness, emotionless at times, other times sad indescribably sad but can’t cry to relieve it, no appetite, no interest in anything, an inability to concentrate on anything, a need to sleep and never wake up, no needs at all, it’s thinking about suicide. It’s really difficult to describe, but it’s not feeling a bit low.
Whilst my antidepressants control it mostly (I recovered and went back to work successfully) I have noticed these feelings begin to return during lockdown, especially first thing in the morning. They are not nice feelings. I keep taking the antidepressants, they help me feel well normally. Without them, I think I would have succumbed to full depression again during this difficult time.

Tweedle24 Sat 08-Aug-20 12:14:09

JenniferEccles. I agree with most of what you say but, I think it highly probable that Prince Harry has suffered a genuine clinical depression, triggered by his mother’s death, while he was still a child and already dealing with his parents’ divorce —all this taking place in the public eye and the undoubted cruelty of some of the press. There is a condition known as traumatic or complex grief.

No, I am not a particular fan of M & H.

Elegran Sat 08-Aug-20 12:15:53

Exactly, Maddyone When people describe normal human sadness at losing someone you love, or the normal human state of facing a possible danger and being concerned about it, as a "Mental Health Problem", they are devaluing the kind of pervasive paralysis that you describe in your post.

quizqueen Sat 08-Aug-20 12:17:14

It seems it's okay to refer to Mr Trump as the Orange One but, if Obama was called the Black one, there would be outrage. Double standards on here, I think. I've read that she wasn't very nice to the White House Staff so I have no time for her. Maybe someone could write a book about that and and I hope Donald gets re-elected as well.

Whitewavemark2 Sat 08-Aug-20 12:23:01

quizqueen

It seems it's okay to refer to Mr Trump as the Orange One but, if Obama was called the Black one, there would be outrage. Double standards on here, I think. I've read that she wasn't very nice to the White House Staff so I have no time for her. Maybe someone could write a book about that and and I hope Donald gets re-elected as well.

The fact that you can’t tell the difference and talk of double standards - speaks volumes.

GillT57 Sat 08-Aug-20 12:25:40

QQ predictable as usual. Why on earth would you wish that man on anyone? Never mind, don't answer that.
Anyway, I admire both the Obamas, they come across as respectful, calm, and articulate people who seem to have done a great job in raising two young girls in the weird world of USA politics. As many have said on here, it is, to my mind, a sign of mental illness if one is not worried about what is going on, where we will be this time next year, whether our children will still have jobs and trifling, but important things like will we manage another couple of trips over seas before DH is too old. It is all very uncertain, and I have to admit that my morning has been somewhat ruined by seeing a family member ( lives in another part of the Southe East) posting a photo on FB of him and his wife out having a great time with their mates in a pub garden, all hanging off each other's shoulders, grinning for the camera, not a mask in sight. They are both self employed, both in positions that involve them going into customers' homes. Irresponsible and foolish doesn't cover it. If I was a client I would cancel immediately. Sorry, a bit of topic, but this event has added to my anxiety, worry about my adult children who have to go out to work, travel on public transport, and mix with fools who care not a jot.

sodapop Sat 08-Aug-20 12:29:09

I agree absolutely with your first post Elegran and the last one of course.

FarNorth people who crowd together in pubs and on beaches do not have a mental illness, they are just plain selfish and thoughtless.

suziewoozie Sat 08-Aug-20 13:40:04

There’s a real difference between being famous/well known and being a celebrity. The latter is nothing to write home about, the former is a fact. MO is not a celebrity - that demeans her and her achievements/ contributions.

Juliet27 Sat 08-Aug-20 13:51:46

As far as I’m concerned she’s still the First Lady!!

BibiSarah Sat 08-Aug-20 15:12:16

Is there really such a thing as 'low grade depression'? Surely, a person is either depressed, or not.

Hetty, low grade depression is very real.

BibiSarah Sat 08-Aug-20 15:25:16

I think we do a great disservice to anyone experiencing very real depression regardless of what it’s called if we dismiss their depression by saying it can’t be real because I was depressed and it was nothing like that.

I’ve had about 5 periods of what’s called reactive depression over the last 25 years and I’ve been medicated/treated each time it happened. Yet each time I was diagnosed and treated my symptoms varied in their intensity and how they presented.

Who knows if it will happen again if the circumstances are correct but if it does happen I would hope no one would say - real depression is what I have and you don’t have a clue what it really is.

maddyone Sat 08-Aug-20 15:35:00

Thank you Elegran.

Bibi, it’s very difficult to describe isn’t it? But very real.

BibiSarah Sat 08-Aug-20 15:52:39

Maddy, I just feel that when someone belittles another persons depression because it may not take the same form as their own we do them a disservice.

My mother died in our local psychiatric hospital having spent the last year of her life there and it wasn’t the first time she’d been a patient. I feel that by belittling something like the very real low grade depression it would be like me saying to someone with a different depression - depressed? What do you mean you’re depressed. How can you be? If you really were depressed you’d be in hospital with it like my mum was.

AGAA4 Sat 08-Aug-20 16:07:06

Maddy clinical depression is a dreadful illness and I am sorry to hear you suffer with it.

I know it is good to bring mental health to the fore but I feel that people often think they are depressed when they are just down because of events in their lives and that feeling usually lifts. True depression isn't easy to shift without medical help.

maddyone Sun 09-Aug-20 00:14:10

Thank you AGAA4
Thankfully the tablets have kept me pretty well, with blips, for years. Lockdown was difficult.
That’s why I feel well known people shouldn’t dabble if they don’t know much about mental health. It seems to be the latest buzz word, and whilst it’s good that it’s more out in the open, it can demean the reality, particularly of clinical depression and true anxiety, which makes people very ill.

rosecarmel Sun 09-Aug-20 02:31:27

She and her husband signed a joint book deal to the tune of
of more than 65 million in 2017 -- and she feels sad?!
Oh! Sorry! I mean she feels long term low mood sad- So instead of laughing all the way to the bank, she whines her way there s-l-o-w-l-y ..

Whitewavemark2 Sun 09-Aug-20 06:45:04

rosecarmel

Oh! Sorry! I mean she feels long term low mood sad- So instead of laughing all the way to the bank, she whines her way there s-l-o-w-l-y ..

I’m surprised at your comment, and feel it a tad ingenuous.

MO was talking about what has happened and is happening to the USA and the world at large.

Many people in her position of wealth and privilege don’t feel the need to speak out for the less fortunate or show that they empathise with the sick or poor.

Whilst I am not in MOs bracket in regard to wealth I feel myself privileged to live the lifestyle I do lead but am aware that millions are not in such a position. I have watched with horror at the way so much is being taken away from the poor and sick and feel nothing but disdain for those who are in a position to speak out or actively seek to stop the rot being brought about by the politics we see today.

And yes I would say that many, many people are feeling despair and a low level of depression at what they see happening.

We’ve gone from a country of optimism and opportunity to a little England Nationalistic mentality which I find disgusting. You only have to read some of the posts on this forum to understand. The prejudice is writ large.

MO is using her position to describe how, like me she feels about the events unfolding before her, in her country.

Good on her I say!!

Sparkling Sun 09-Aug-20 07:01:27

Should you feel nothing when you see injustice or witness suffering in others? That is a normal human emotion, you get low at times and that is very different to clinical depression, thankfully I haven't had that. We can all do our bit, speak out at injustice, try to help tgose less fortunate, whether it is volunteering or donating to a food bank, just give a little of ourselves and keep busy. MO is voicing what many if us feel.

Curlywhirly Sun 09-Aug-20 07:39:36

Rosecarmel Having money and being wealthy does not prevent depression! Just look at how many famous and fabulously rich celebrities commit suicide (Robin Williams, Caroline Flack, Steve Bing, Kurt Cobain, Ernest Hemmingway etc) Depression can affect anyone, regardless of wealth and an amazing lifestyle.

jenpax Sun 09-Aug-20 07:39:54

I too get very depressed by things at the moment both here and in the US I think it’s natural given the state of things!
As for low grade depression I think it’s intended to differentiate between people who are depressed but manage some level of day to day functioning and those who are so laid low by the illness that even basic self care goes out of the window

Urmstongran Sun 09-Aug-20 07:50:24

I think you’ve hit the nail on the head there jenpax.

Nightsky2 Sun 09-Aug-20 08:36:30

rosecarmel

Rosecarmel.....how disengenuous of you. So you think having loads of money makes you feel happy even if you suffer from depression. That’s just plain ignorance.

Iam64 Sun 09-Aug-20 08:43:27

More support for Elegran's posts from me. ( and jenpax). People diagnosed with psychosis, schizophrenia, clinical depression to name some mental health problems need medication as well as other types of therapy.
The tendency to call the sadness we feel when someone we love dies "depression", to name the worry caused by financial problems or concern our children are having a tough time "anxiety", diminishes significant mental health problems.

Grandad1943 Sun 09-Aug-20 08:58:18

The restrictions we all have faced due to the ongoing Covid-19 crisis have brought many people to a low state of mind. However, we also all have witnessed how Britain has come together to combat the virus especially in health and many other essential industries.

The NHS has by way of the dedication of its staff saved many thousands of lives, while industries such as electricity, Water, Gas, Food production, distribution and retailing have totally changed the way they work in the face of the crisis and maintained those services to the great benefit of us all.

Doubtless, there are many challenges still to be met as the country attempts to resume something close to normality. Nonetheless, with the resilience and ingenuity already demonstrated by so many in the battle against coronavirus, we as a nation will pull through, and in that there is much to be found and optimistic about when placed in anyone's state of mind.

These dark days will pass and life will eventually return near to what it was prior to this pandemic.

Lucca Sun 09-Aug-20 09:03:28

” QQ predictable as usual. Why on earth would you wish that man on anyone? Never mind, don't answer that. ”

Don’t worry she won’t.