Gransnet forums

Chat

The former First Lady has given voice to a feeling experienced by many: long-term low mood brought on by world events

(67 Posts)
Urmstongran Sat 08-Aug-20 08:46:57

Michelle Obama shares how she is feeling in her second podcast.

I read her autobiography last year - ‘Becoming’ - and really admire her. She seems such a warm and caring person.

Whitewavemark2 Sun 09-Aug-20 09:04:47

Iam64

More support for Elegran's posts from me. ( and jenpax). People diagnosed with psychosis, schizophrenia, clinical depression to name some mental health problems need medication as well as other types of therapy.
The tendency to call the sadness we feel when someone we love dies "depression", to name the worry caused by financial problems or concern our children are having a tough time "anxiety", diminishes significant mental health problems.

I can understand your argument entirely. But I think it is simply a case of the language used to describe a feeling many feel at in this case the state of the country.

Using the expression “low level depression“ does not detract from the sort of mental illness you are describing, indeed I think it makes it very clear and distinguishable between the state of emotion MO and very many of us feel, and those clinically depressed. Indeed many doctors would describe the feelings expressed as exactly as MO described it.

I thoroughly support her.

rosecarmel Sun 09-Aug-20 15:37:28

Whitewavemark2

rosecarmel

She and her husband signed a joint book deal to the tune of
of more than 65 million in 2017 -- and she feels sad?!
Oh! Sorry! I mean she feels long term low mood sad- So instead of laughing all the way to the bank, she whines her way there s-l-o-w-l-y ..

I’m surprised at your comment, and feel it a tad ingenuous.

MO was talking about what has happened and is happening to the USA and the world at large.

Many people in her position of wealth and privilege don’t feel the need to speak out for the less fortunate or show that they empathise with the sick or poor.

Whilst I am not in MOs bracket in regard to wealth I feel myself privileged to live the lifestyle I do lead but am aware that millions are not in such a position. I have watched with horror at the way so much is being taken away from the poor and sick and feel nothing but disdain for those who are in a position to speak out or actively seek to stop the rot being brought about by the politics we see today.

And yes I would say that many, many people are feeling despair and a low level of depression at what they see happening.

We’ve gone from a country of optimism and opportunity to a little England Nationalistic mentality which I find disgusting. You only have to read some of the posts on this forum to understand. The prejudice is writ large.

MO is using her position to describe how, like me she feels about the events unfolding before her, in her country.

Good on her I say!!

She's speaking from a position of protection, pity and priveledge, not compassion or empathy- The world isn't what she wants it to be, so she's uncomfortable- And sad- Seeking the emotional company of others for support- That's what she's offering -- from her ivory tower-

A far cry from Macron stepping into the wreckage of Beirut and hugging someone-

She is no position to "give a voice" to the suffering and sadness that occurs in the lives of others less fortunate than herself- It's smug- Which is something we had 8 years of- Enough is enough-

I say that as a Democrat, not a Republican-

Whitewavemark2 Sun 09-Aug-20 16:18:32

rosecarmel

Whitewavemark2

rosecarmel

She and her husband signed a joint book deal to the tune of
of more than 65 million in 2017 -- and she feels sad?!
Oh! Sorry! I mean she feels long term low mood sad- So instead of laughing all the way to the bank, she whines her way there s-l-o-w-l-y ..

I’m surprised at your comment, and feel it a tad ingenuous.

MO was talking about what has happened and is happening to the USA and the world at large.

Many people in her position of wealth and privilege don’t feel the need to speak out for the less fortunate or show that they empathise with the sick or poor.

Whilst I am not in MOs bracket in regard to wealth I feel myself privileged to live the lifestyle I do lead but am aware that millions are not in such a position. I have watched with horror at the way so much is being taken away from the poor and sick and feel nothing but disdain for those who are in a position to speak out or actively seek to stop the rot being brought about by the politics we see today.

And yes I would say that many, many people are feeling despair and a low level of depression at what they see happening.

We’ve gone from a country of optimism and opportunity to a little England Nationalistic mentality which I find disgusting. You only have to read some of the posts on this forum to understand. The prejudice is writ large.

MO is using her position to describe how, like me she feels about the events unfolding before her, in her country.

Good on her I say!!

She's speaking from a position of protection, pity and priveledge, not compassion or empathy- The world isn't what she wants it to be, so she's uncomfortable- And sad- Seeking the emotional company of others for support- That's what she's offering -- from her ivory tower-

A far cry from Macron stepping into the wreckage of Beirut and hugging someone-

She is no position to "give a voice" to the suffering and sadness that occurs in the lives of others less fortunate than herself- It's smug- Which is something we had 8 years of- Enough is enough-

I say that as a Democrat, not a Republican-

Oh dear.

I see it entirely differently.

We have to agree to disagree.

Grandmafrench Sun 09-Aug-20 16:23:10

Clearly you know even less about Europe than you do your own country and certainly you’re in no better position to judge President Macron as any less or more “smug” than Mrs Obama.

Who are you to deny her feelings of compassion or empathy or sadness? Is she someone you know? She has earned any privilege she now has - she was never born into that.
Whitewavemark2 what you said, absolutely.

If everyone better off than the next was disallowed feelings about the misfortune of others, the world would probably be in an even worse state than it is now.

rosecarmel Sun 09-Aug-20 18:38:21

Grandmafrench

Clearly you know even less about Europe than you do your own country and certainly you’re in no better position to judge President Macron as any less or more “smug” than Mrs Obama.

Who are you to deny her feelings of compassion or empathy or sadness? Is she someone you know? She has earned any privilege she now has - she was never born into that.
Whitewavemark2 what you said, absolutely.

If everyone better off than the next was disallowed feelings about the misfortune of others, the world would probably be in an even worse state than it is now.

President Obama's administration was devoted to focusing on specific groups, not the country as a whole- His legacy will be Obamacare for good reason, and that reason is because it was the best he could do as a president-

Americans didn't come away from 8 years of his administration feeling that something had gotten better for them, for the country as a whole- We got "charmed" for the most part-

His presidential negligence helped pave the way for Trump and all Trump supporters who were tired of being ignored-

Iam64 Sun 09-Aug-20 19:01:41

Whitewave, apologies if my post seemed to dismiss what some have called 'low level depression' as unimportant or not a mental health problem. That wasn't my intention. I was attempting to say that calling the sadness that follows a bereavement 'depression' is unhelpful to those of us who have experienced clinical depression and yes, I include 'low level' depression in that description.
rosecarmel - fascinating to blame Obama for Trump. And wrong.

Whitewavemark2 Sun 09-Aug-20 19:08:35

Iam64

Whitewave, apologies if my post seemed to dismiss what some have called 'low level depression' as unimportant or not a mental health problem. That wasn't my intention. I was attempting to say that calling the sadness that follows a bereavement 'depression' is unhelpful to those of us who have experienced clinical depression and yes, I include 'low level' depression in that description.
rosecarmel - fascinating to blame Obama for Trump. And wrong.

Yes I think as I said it is a matter of language. The sort of depression MO is describing will be recognised by half the world.

The sort of clinical depression you are describing is something else entirely.

biba70 Sun 09-Aug-20 19:09:03

Quizqueen says:

'It seems it's okay to refer to Mr Trump as the Orange One but, if Obama was called the Black one, there would be outrage. Double standards on here, I think. '

I find it amazing that, again, you can't or won't see the difference. Obama had no choice, he was born black. Trump has chosen to be 'orange'.

rosecarmel Sun 09-Aug-20 19:25:39

Calling them the terrible two would be accurate, and fair- ?

Urmstongran Sun 09-Aug-20 20:03:36

rosecarmel thank you for posting. It’s always interesting to hear a viewpoint from someone who actually lived under the Obama administration. So many people (me included) were in awe of his oratory performances (unlike Trump’s) but I can empathise why the rust belt citizens had given up on Democrats. Trump offered them hope and pride. Assured them he was on their side so to speak. MAGA was a powerful narrative. As you say MO will be feeling saddened that the. Administrative policy has taken a 180° turn I suppose?

Urmstongran Sun 09-Aug-20 20:05:25

Will Biden be the hope for the future? Shame he’s not far off 80 years of age though ...

rosecarmel Sun 09-Aug-20 20:49:04

It wasn't/isn't just the rust belt-

States according to income:
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_U.S._states_and_territories_by_income

2016 Election results:
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016_United_States_presidential_election

Clinton played politics, Trump Monopoly-

Clinton won the popular vote, predominantly along both heavily populated coasts, where the bulk of "the money" is-

Anniebach Sun 09-Aug-20 20:49:14

Iam to dismiss all grief as sadness is so wrong , so very wrong. one can feel sadness at the death of a elderly relative but grief can also cause some to take their lives, more than
sadness surely

Iam64 Sun 09-Aug-20 20:59:49

Hi did not dismiss all grief as sadness. Sadness after bereavement does not always lead to depression. When it does that transcends sadness

Anniebach Sun 09-Aug-20 21:19:51

Sadness is the wrong word for grief , but you are always in the right.

My baby died at birth I am so sad

My husband died of cancer I am so sad

I will leave it to the experts here

rosecarmel Mon 10-Aug-20 01:00:02

Everyone can relate to sadness- Short term or prolonged- Not everyone can relate to depression-

The first lady is saying she feels sad and has for a little while now- Which is exactly what numerous threads have been dedicated to: these difficult times and the sadness that's resulted-

But she hasn't "given a voice" to sadness, short term or continued- People have been talking about it all along-
Now she is talking about it too-

Her story is no more important than any one of ours-