Gransnet forums

Chat

Are you seeing a lot more cyclists on the roads?

(29 Posts)
Craftycat Sun 09-Aug-20 14:23:56

Driving down into town this morning I was surprised to see a lot of cyclists on the roads. I noticed it last week too when I was driving through country lanes to see my son.
I did hear on the news that more people are taking to cycling since the lock down .
My concern is that none of the ones I saw knew HOW to ride a bike in the main. Weaving all over the place & riding 2 or 3 abreast in the lanes they were just plain dangerous. One man suddenly veered over towards the middle of the road in front of me with no hand signals or looking to see if anything was coming up behind him- luckily I was able to slow down in time.
We have a group of young lads locally who ride always on the wrong side & think it is great fun to weave all over the road- I know some of my neighbours have followed them home & spoken to the parents but it was all adults I saw this morning.
Is it about time that cyclists have to take a road test & need insurance?

Barmeyoldbat Tue 11-Aug-20 18:50:55

You contradict yourself, you say they don't follow the rules and then you are moaning about one of them signalling by putting his arm out and turning right, the correct procedure No different from a car except most drivers these days don't seem to indicate when turning. You just have a grudge.

Oopsadaisy3 Tue 11-Aug-20 19:30:26

Oooh, no grudge, actually I had started to overtake her, after signalling to go around her and THEN she thrust out her arm, she didn’t even look to see if anything was behind her, earbuds in so she probably couldn’t hear me either, she is one lucky lady that I was going slowly or she would have been under my wheels. But it’s all on film.

Lilypops Tue 11-Aug-20 19:34:05

The craze around where I live is young cyclists usually young males. Riding and texting at the same time , how can that be safe, they will only have one hand on the handle bars