Gransnet forums

Chat

Noises

(151 Posts)
MissAdventure Tue 11-Aug-20 18:51:29

Yesterday there was a thread about dogs barking, and I thought how much I would hate to live near someone whose dog barks excessively.

I think it could make me ill, seriously.

My mum didn't like the sound of washing billowing on the line when it was really windy.

Are there sounds that you love or hate?

My girl said a happy childhood memory for her was the sound of the grill pan sliding out for my toast, once she was tucked up in bed.

Lucca Wed 12-Aug-20 07:28:52

I love the sound of a lawnmower on a summer evening. It takes me back to childhood being in bed and hearing my dad cutting the grass.

I can’t bear any ticking clocks at night

(Nearly had an unfortunate typo then?)

eazybee Wed 12-Aug-20 07:29:57

I liked the sound of lawnmowers in the gardens on summer evenings when I was so unfairly made to go to bed by day.

FindingNemo15 Wed 12-Aug-20 07:56:04

Cannot bear other peoples loud music or people who talk loudly especially in restaurants, but love both types of wind chimes.

grannyrebel7 Wed 12-Aug-20 08:00:59

Loud motorbikes - I hate them!

BlueSky Wed 12-Aug-20 09:48:52

ladymuck

Peacocks are beautiful birds but they make a horrible noise and do it all night. I took my children hosteling in the Yorkshire Dales and we were kept awake all night by them.

Agree Ladymuck such an upsetting sound.

lemongrove Wed 12-Aug-20 09:56:37

annep1

Lemongrove surrounded by owls
How lovely. I remember staying awake on our French campsite in a forest to hear the owls.

It would make a good title for a book wouldn’t it? ?
We hear them all the time in the evenings/ night and especially in the Autumn and on clear moonlit nights.Mainly
Tawny owls from their calls, with now and then a shriek from a barn owl.We live next to an old church and so many tall trees, and open fields ...an ideal hunting ground for them.

GrannyAnnie2010 Wed 12-Aug-20 10:03:52

My favourite sound has to be that of young children laughing.

TwiceAsNice Wed 12-Aug-20 10:04:09

I like the sound of a wood pigeon and the sound of water. Hate strimmers and people talking loudly on phone when they are near you . I don’t want to listen to their private stuff which is sometimes cringeworthy !

WoodLane7 Wed 12-Aug-20 10:08:37

The rustle of crisp packets always irritates me - even if it is not impeding me listening to something on the TV and radio......

Ladyleftfieldlover Wed 12-Aug-20 10:09:25

I hate the sound of a drink can being scrunched up and the sound of a balloon being rubbed squeakily!

Bathsheba Wed 12-Aug-20 10:09:38

The sound of next door’s DIY can drive me insane! (Mind you, perversely I wish I had a DH who was more into DIY, so things would get down around here grin)

Flakesdayout Wed 12-Aug-20 10:09:55

I hate the sound of motorbikes. My OH has one and I cannot stand it. Barking dogs is another annoyance. My neighbour had her granddaughters round in her garden yesterday and Monday. One of them is a screamer. She is at it all the time. Whilst I like to hear children playing not this one. MY OH snores terribly and that is not pleasant.

Sound I like : Bacon sizzling: Birds singing. I have a chatty cat and I do like that sound.

Grandmabeach Wed 12-Aug-20 10:16:57

The sound of waves on the beach, babies and toddlers giggling, waking up to the sound of the kettle knowing DH is making me a coffee.

Most annoying loud talking from neighbours well past midnight on hot nights when we need windows open to sleep, people who can not go to the cinema or theatre without a bag of wrapped sweets, people who bring loud music to the beach.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Wed 12-Aug-20 10:20:29

I hate the sound of smoke alarms - I know they're necessary but the noise makes my heart race - I feel that I could die of fright.
There's an ad on the radio which has either a doorbell, knock at the door or the phone which sounds like it's your own and is very irritating. 'Souped up' cars are horrible.
I love music and when a favourite track is heard unexpectedly that's always pleasant.

4allweknow Wed 12-Aug-20 10:21:07

I cannot stand the yelling, shouting and screaming of the kids in a garden 150 yards away from me. They just shout non stop at one another. Never seem to just talk. Also dogs barking. There seems to be a different one every hour. And illegal hen clucking all day. ( property restrictions - no livestock allowed)Sound like a real misery but would just like to be able to enjoy my garden and sit outside in peace now and again. Like bird noise, gentle wave lapping and babies giggling.

Lizzie44 Wed 12-Aug-20 10:25:48

Hate the sound of pigeons. I won't use the word 'coo' as that suggests something gentle and soothing. Pigeon noise that wakes me up most mornings is a horrible grating sound.

Love the sound of the sea - the gentle regular sounds of waves breaking on the shore and retreating over the shingle, or the crash of powerful stormy waves. I'm missing the sea. The last time I was by the sea was last September - don't know when I'll see it again...

Aepgirl Wed 12-Aug-20 10:27:47

I think it’s other people’s noises that we dislike - next door’s windchimes, that they don’t notice, their loud music that they think is quiet, their dog that barks incessantly that they don’t hear.

I’m sure there are noises from my house that others don’t like but don’t bother me.

missdeke Wed 12-Aug-20 10:38:24

The noises from computer games, beeping, annoying repetitve music, explosions etc. Any grandchild who visits must use earphones or turn the sound off. Oh and music thst drowns out the dialogue in films and tv shows.

nannypiano Wed 12-Aug-20 10:43:21

M, I hate wind chimes. Our new neighbours have one. Drives me mad.

SillyNanny321 Wed 12-Aug-20 10:44:04

Love the sound of the sea, gulls calling, rivers running. My GC calling me. My cat who helped me through lockdown calling me. My music ( not my neighbours tho). Most sounds as it means i am not totally deaf yet (& I am still alive) ?

Nortsat Wed 12-Aug-20 10:44:07

There are workmen digging up the pavement in the next street, so I am currently being serenaded by jack-hammers.

I hate the thudding bass sounds from some young people’s cars, you can’t hear any music, just boom ... boom ... boom.

We live on a very wide, very long road and there is one little charmer who rides a motor scooter, hell for leather, down our road, several times a week.

The foxes, if Mr Fox gets amorous with Mrs Fox ?

The magpies, who live in next doors Japanese Maple ...

I could go on for quite a long time ??

Rosiebee Wed 12-Aug-20 10:48:39

Love - all sounds of the sea / my sewing machine when it is whizzing along / rain on the windows / well, all weather sounds

Hate - my sewing machine when it's chewing up my cotton / dogs barking / loud music that is not of my choosing grin /magpies

Horton1828 Wed 12-Aug-20 10:50:07

I love a good old thunder storm, the rain on the conservatory roof. I get “Alexa” to play sounds of rain or waves for going to sleep ?

Callistemon Wed 12-Aug-20 11:00:51

We have a yapper that lives behind us, not constantly but regularly throughout the day. There it goes again now!

I don't like the sound of magpies, it grates, but I know they raid other birds' nests too.

I'd love to hear a good thunderstorm as long as I'm safely indoors.
The sound of the sea.

jane1956 Wed 12-Aug-20 11:02:54

hate the noise of people moaning about the heat, 3 days out of 10+ months of grey and they moan?