Gransnet forums

Chat

Horrid afternoon.

(60 Posts)
Bluebellwould Thu 13-Aug-20 15:10:37

Well I’ve let loads of packages pile up by the front door, so they should be safer to open. Sat on the floor for an hour ripping up recycling, taking name labels off, boiling hot and then disaster strikes. I got a long hair in my mouth. Yuck, my hands are filthy so I can’t stick my fingers in my mouth so I lick my T-shirt instead. That did not end well.
Hope you are all cooler today.

FarNorth Fri 14-Aug-20 21:43:25

That is a bit of a dilemma, Bluebellwould.

Callistemon Fri 14-Aug-20 21:46:04

Jaxjacky

Allegedly the NZ outbreak was a breach of quarantine.

Oh dear. They said at first that the family had not been in contact with anyone from overseas.

PinkCakes Fri 14-Aug-20 22:07:11

I had a "horrid" (I hate that word) afternoon recently - my sister in law told me she's got Cancer, my husband is on fewer hours as the firm he works for hasn't got much work. I had a bad migraine that day.

FarNorth Fri 14-Aug-20 22:13:27

That is really awful, PinkCakes.

PinkCakes Fri 14-Aug-20 22:19:59

FarNorth Yes, it's been awful. Many people have far worse, though. A bit of hair in my mouth and a few parcels to undo wouldn't be a big deal to me......

Bluebellwould Fri 14-Aug-20 22:28:48

Thank you for the sarcasm pinkcakes. It was a horrid afternoon as the hair led to me gagging and then vomiting which i didn’t want to disclose. And if you really want to go down the route of my life is worse than yours, my husband died 20 months ago of colon cancer. I nursed him through 7 years of utter distress and pain. We had 40 years together and I miss him dreadfully. I come onto gransnet as I have no one to talk to but sometimes the slapping down I (and others get) is just breathtaking. If you don’t like what people post then don’t read it or respond to it.

lemongrove Fri 14-Aug-20 22:29:46

Commiserations PinkC flowers

On parcels......I can’t wait and rip open parcels the second they’re delivered, the excitement! I don’t know what I expect, it’s usually something DH has ordered anyway.Post is torn open by me immediately if not sooner.I do wash my hands afterwards though.

MerylStreep Fri 14-Aug-20 22:31:24

Pinkcakes
Thats what you call a bad afternoon ? I would call a hair in the mouth a slight irritation rather than a disaster

suziewoozie Fri 14-Aug-20 22:32:23

NZ isn’t delivering mixed messages at all. Two issues have become confused on this thread. There were the women from the UK who breached quarantine and brought the virus with them and then the latest case of the family. The number of days without new cases refers to( and always has) what are known as community transmission cases ie not brought into the country by two selfish women who took advantage of being given compassionate grounds to enter NZ. Some people love to have a pop at NZ - I suppose it makes them feel better about the total omnishambles here.

lemongrove Fri 14-Aug-20 22:33:56

Commiserations to you too BlueB life is hard sometimes for many of us.GN is a good place to either vent or be cheered up.?

suziewoozie Fri 14-Aug-20 22:36:44

As for how cautious some people are still being - that’s up to each individual. At least a cautious person doesn’t put others at risk unlike some on GN over the months who have clearly thought the rules/guidance didn’t apply to them.

FarNorth Fri 14-Aug-20 22:44:18

I guess the virus (in NZ or anywhere) could be circulating among people who don't show symptoms until it suddenly appears in someone who does get ill.

Callistemon Fri 14-Aug-20 22:59:47

Who's having a pop at New Zealand?

No-one on here.

Callistemon Fri 14-Aug-20 23:00:32

Are you New Zealander, suziewoozie?

Callistemon Fri 14-Aug-20 23:02:15

Bluebellwould sometimes you can get through a miserable day but then something happens which is just the final straw.

?

suziewoozie Fri 14-Aug-20 23:15:04

Call read the thread properly.

Callistemon Fri 14-Aug-20 23:36:23

And?

Callistemon Fri 14-Aug-20 23:44:55

All that is being said is that, even with the restrictions that were in place and a COVID19 free period, the virus has again started up in New Zealand.

The two women in June were allowed out of quarantine early on compassionate grounds. They had possibly up to 320 contacts which would include people on their flight. That ended a 24 day period with no cases. Others may have been symptomless but still able to spread the virus.

The new outbreak of 14 cases is connected to a family in Auckland who also visited Rotorua.

Callistemon Fri 14-Aug-20 23:50:54

two selfish women
Do you know that for sure suziewoozie?

I believe they were allowed to leave quarantine early by the authorities to visit a dying relative.

Puzzler61 Sat 15-Aug-20 05:54:38

I’m sorry you’ve taken it personally suziew.
My posts were my observations , things I read (which may have misled me, or I may not have interpreted incorrectly - e.g. community transmission).
No offence to New Zealand intended.
And yes directions here in UK would seem to be shambolic at times, I agree.
And apologies to OP for going off topic.

Puzzler61 Sat 15-Aug-20 05:56:05

Pinkcakes your afternoon was immensely upsetting. ?

Rufus2 Sat 15-Aug-20 06:11:49

sometimes you can get through a miserable day but then something happens which is just the final straw
Callistemon
Here's a toast! smile
"Ashes to Ashes
Dust to Dust.
If your day's been a bitch,
Then whisky's a must.

PS: or even a XXXX! grin
Cheers!

Dibbydod Sat 15-Aug-20 08:20:55

Don’t take it all so seriously, lighten up , just open up your mail / parcels then go and wash your hands , It’s that simple !

EllanVannin Sat 15-Aug-20 08:29:04

I've built up an immunity grin You do over time.

Chewbacca Sat 15-Aug-20 09:31:41

A hair in my mouth provided it's one of my own wouldn't ruin my day but pulling the hair out of the shower plug hole does. Eurgh! Hate that job!
Not opening post or parcels though? Meh! Rip 'em open and wash your hands. Job done.