Gransnet forums

Chat

Horrid afternoon.

(60 Posts)
Bluebellwould Thu 13-Aug-20 15:10:37

Well I’ve let loads of packages pile up by the front door, so they should be safer to open. Sat on the floor for an hour ripping up recycling, taking name labels off, boiling hot and then disaster strikes. I got a long hair in my mouth. Yuck, my hands are filthy so I can’t stick my fingers in my mouth so I lick my T-shirt instead. That did not end well.
Hope you are all cooler today.

Callistemon Sat 15-Aug-20 09:34:04

Neither Rufus!

A nice glass of Sav Blanc (NZ)

Franbern Sat 15-Aug-20 09:47:41

I find it rather worrying that people are so panicked about this virus, that they are 'isolating' packages and parcels and letters they receive, and/or washing them with disinfectant. So many serious mental health problems looming in the future!!!
I do have concerns about the extra bleach and disinfectants being poured away into our water supplies - care of the environment seems to have been lost in past months, and climate change has a far bigger risk of killing off large sections of Homo Sapiens (far, far more than CV19).
Like others on here, I wash my hand prior to opening post, parcels, etc. and wash them again when I have finished. I feel that even with that I am being a little over the top - but it is becoming a habit now.
As someone else said on another thread about taking care - of course I do, I wash my hand more often than I used to do, wear a mask in a shop, public transport etc. and carefully look both ways before crossing any road. Making my own risk assessments.

sodapop Sat 15-Aug-20 12:26:49

As you say Franbern you are managing risks in your own way. For people who have health anxiety they should do whatever it takes to make them feel safe, provided of course it's not adversely affecting their day to day life too much.

FarNorth Sat 15-Aug-20 13:19:04

If someone feels happier by leaving their post for a day, or more, before opening it why should anyone else criticise them for that?

PinkCakes Sat 15-Aug-20 13:20:45

Bluebellwould I'm sorry to hear about your husband. Of course, as I've already said, many people have a lot of REAL problems. Having a hair in your mouth (vomiting?) surely isn't anything much to deal with.

FarNorth Sat 15-Aug-20 13:38:49

It sounds like it's been a 'last straw' situation Bluebellwould.
I hope things are going all right for you today.

Marydoll Sat 15-Aug-20 13:39:41

Pinkcakes I agree. Some posters have so much more to deal with at the moment, a hair in your mouth doesn't in any compare to what some posters have to deal with. Having a bad day, I have to admit to thinking at the time: "If that's all you have to worry about....." ?

However, on reflection Bluebellewould sounds quite lonely and perhaps she was just looking for a response, any response. ?

sodapop Sat 15-Aug-20 15:27:16

It's all relative though isn't it, there shouldn't be a competition to see who is having the worst time.
Marydoll I think your reflections were probably right.

PinkCakes Sat 15-Aug-20 17:51:47

Marydoll You might well be right. If the lady islonely, perhaps she could post something else, saying she'd like to get to know other people?