Gransnet forums

Chat

Do you ask for a receipt?

(112 Posts)
Poppyred Thu 13-Aug-20 15:56:41

Surprised as to how many people don’t ask or take their receipt after shopping. How do they balance their monthly /weekly outgoings? What if they needed to take something back?

Maggiemaybe Sat 15-Aug-20 14:27:12

I do have a friend who rang up her bank because there was a charge on her card statement to a company called Hertown Ski. She knew for sure that she'd bought nothing from a ski company. Just as the bank employee pressed the button to cancel her card, she remembered the skip she'd ordered the previous week from Hertown Skip Hire.

Maggiemaybe Sat 15-Aug-20 14:16:34

Maggiemaybe

Going back a few years, I had several small amounts - something like a couple of £6s, a £4.50, a £7 - taken from my credit card account one month, all coming up on the statement in the name of big companies. My bank said these scammers were getting away with a fortune because most people don’t check their accounts and small sums just go unnoticed.

To those who check statements meticulously against receipts - do you ever find any errors or dodgy withdrawals?

Yes, FarNorth, as I said earlier.

What a strange comment, Jude10. Being in control of your finances hardly makes you tight fisted. In my experience it means you've more left to spend and enjoy.

Jude10 Sat 15-Aug-20 14:08:23

Why are there so many tight fisted and control freak folk out there ?
Spend
Enjoy

Saggi Sat 15-Aug-20 14:06:22

....I use mobile banking ...when o get home I check to see what’s spent! Simples!

Saggi Sat 15-Aug-20 14:05:28

Balance outgoings!! Had the world run out of books to read.

Joesoap Sat 15-Aug-20 13:46:40

I only ask for a receipt if there is a guarantee on the goods, othewise I just check on my Bank account on my phone, simple.

albertina Sat 15-Aug-20 13:00:25

I have never worked in accounts, but I have got into trouble with money. I did it by blindly overspending then being surprised when I went overdrawn.

I got into serious trouble. I now know to the penny where I am, and haven't had a credit card for over ten years.

On one of those programmes where celebrities look into their family history Una Stubbs spoke the words of one of her ancestors who never knew" the peace that comes from a settled method of living" and was always in debt.

FarNorth Sat 15-Aug-20 12:50:52

To those who check statements meticulously against receipts - do you ever find any errors or dodgy withdrawals?

I'm fairly sure I'd spot a fraudulent transaction on my statements, as I don't make all that many payments so it's easy to scan them over.

I've had a card provider check with me about attempted fraud on my card a few times, well before I would have noticed.

Keeper1 Sat 15-Aug-20 12:40:41

I don’t bother with a receipt for small items as for looking back to see how much a loaf of bread was in 1975 why bother It’s not going to make it any cheaper now and anyway I prefer to look forward.

I am in sales maybe that’s why

Thecatshatontgemat Sat 15-Aug-20 12:26:03

I get a receipt for everything l buy.
As all expenses no matter how small, goes on my credit card, l check them all off every month when l get my statement. How on earth do you know what you are spending, if you don't check?
My memory is not that good!
Also, it means l am constantly being aware of fraud.
Receipts are a no brainer....

Frogs Sat 15-Aug-20 12:11:44

I'm another one who doesn't ask for receipts unless it is for a large item. As far as being accused of shoplifting I've always thought they can check back for the items you have bought through the till. I haven't balanced my bank statements in over 40 years but quickly check the transactions and my balance on line a few times a week - no need to wait for a statement to arrive.
On the other hand my husband (who worked in finance) likes to have receipts for everything and laboriously ticks off items on his paper bank statement. We have drawer fills of receipts and bank statements that we have to dispose of securely from time to time.

ForeverAutumn Sat 15-Aug-20 12:09:33

I was going to say that I never reconcile my accounts, but I suppose I do in a way. I have online banking and my bank sends me a daily text message whenever there are outgoings and incoming to my account, and twice a week if there aren't any. So I do know what is happening in my account, if I don't recognise an outgoing I will investigate further. I do take receipts for larger shopping, but don't for small, cheap items, all the paper can be a pain and for me only necessary for things that may have to be returned.

Kim19 Sat 15-Aug-20 12:05:59

My background is finance. Yes, I collect every receipt and dispose of them once confirmed on cc statement. I've seen too many 'banking favoured' errors in my lifetime even to contemplate not checking up on them. My cc is a cashback one. The regular bonus vouchers are very pleasant to receive. Any major purchase documents are filed away separately.

Foxyferret Sat 15-Aug-20 12:01:20

I always get a receipt for everything. I have been overcharged in the past and that has led to me checking my receipt before I even leave the shop. If it’s more than a few items, I sit in the car and go through my receipt. Sounds crazy but some of my overcharges have not just been pennies and it saves you having to go back to the shop if you’ve already driven home. I shop online for groceries but still check my delivery note.

curlz Sat 15-Aug-20 11:42:44

I only get a receipt if it’s a item of clothing that I’m not sure about or something expensive that needs a warranty. I just shove them in my bag if I get one for grocery shopping and end up with a bundle of them to chuck in the bin . I work in a post office and you’d be surprised how many people don’t want one after depositing or taking out money

Riggie Sat 15-Aug-20 11:23:28

I always ask for receipts since using my own bag. If you buy an item in one store (e.g. Boots) then go into a Supermarket which stocks the same item how would you prove you had already paid for it?

This happened to a friend years ago. She was in a local bakery where she was well known and spotted they had something that she wanted and which the supermarket didn't stock. No receipt. Carried on to the supermarket where the cashier saw the item in her bag and it was something they had started selling. Luckily she managed to persuade them to contact the bakery who were able to verify her purchase, but a very unpleasant experience.

Riggie Sat 15-Aug-20 11:16:19

All my friends ask me why I shop at Sainsburys as they say it is far too expensive.

Ive had this too - usually from mother in law. Shopping occasionally in other stores shows me that it is not true apart from places like Aldi or Lidl - but then I have extra petrol costs on top!

Maggiemaybe Sat 15-Aug-20 10:54:07

Somehow I always feel guilty if I’ve forgotten my shopping bag and have to walk out with my arms full of purchases. Even when I have the receipt firmly clutched in my hand!

Grandmabeach Sat 15-Aug-20 10:28:26

Chewbacca

Oopsadaisy3

Always get a receipt, enter all outgoings in a book ( I have books from 1980) and reconcile with CC statements and the bank balance, every week.

Obviously I worked in Accounts, back in the day.

Ditto!

Ditto for me. It must have been all the years working in Accounts.

I always ask for receipts since using my own bag. If you buy an item in one store (e.g. Boots) then go into a Supermarket which stocks the same item how would you prove you had already paid for it?

Jani31 Sat 15-Aug-20 10:27:25

£3 and First came up on my bank statement before I had online banking. Took me a week before I noticed First on a bus. Of course, I had locked my carkeys in the boot so had to take a bus home for the spare set ?

Mollygo Sat 15-Aug-20 10:26:09

I always ask for a receipt even on small purchases and check it. It has saved me pounds over the years. Whether because I’ve needed to return something or because something has ‘accidentally’ been run past the bar code reader twice or the reader has not recognised the bogoff offer or price reduction.
I also don’t expect the cashier to remember that it was me who bought a sourdough loaf, a packet of crispy bacon and a packet of Percy Pigs if I was ever to be stopped at the door. That‘s a particular thought since lockdown when our M&S only opens one door -at the opposite end to the tills. About a week ago I saw a couple walking from the till, back through the food section and the clothes section to the exit who were stopped taken aside and asked if they’d paid for what was in their bag. I only stopped because I was behind them at the till.
They had paid, but without a receipt it could have been more than just embarrassing.
I used to keep an account book but now just check my bank account.

Greciangirl Sat 15-Aug-20 10:25:49

Of course, take a receipt for large items that may need or require a refund or exchange.
Otherwise, receipts are a waste of paper.
What do most people do with them?
Stuff them in their purses and then eventually throw them in the bin.
Wasteful.

hicaz46 Sat 15-Aug-20 10:24:14

I take receipt if it’s offered for small items, but in general try to save on unnecessary paper. I would always expect a receipt for large items, but if purchased on line you usually have proof of purchase in confirmation email. I never balance my accounts.

Proffads Sat 15-Aug-20 10:13:43

I save paper and only take receipts when it is for guarantee or may need to exchange items. The one exception is on the rare occasions when I'm forced to use self serve. I am so ridiculously nervous of these and always think I will be accused of not paying as I faff for so long and have to keep restarting. As for balancing account, I have never had an overdraft, even as a student, as most Bill's on direct debit and check payments on weekly text from bank.

Jillybird Sat 15-Aug-20 10:05:51

Message withdrawn at poster's request.