Gransnet forums

Chat

Do you ask for a receipt?

(111 Posts)
Poppyred Thu 13-Aug-20 15:56:41

Surprised as to how many people don’t ask or take their receipt after shopping. How do they balance their monthly /weekly outgoings? What if they needed to take something back?

tanith Thu 13-Aug-20 16:04:49

I don't take a receipt if it’s something small, I don’t ever balance my outgoings I however do check my acc frequently.

BlueBelle Thu 13-Aug-20 16:08:02

I don’t take a receipt unless I m buying something that may need taking back
I never balance outgoings I don’t have that big an amount of spending money each week/month Of course I check online every few weeks to make sure there are legit outgoings

Auntieflo Thu 13-Aug-20 16:10:29

I am also surprised at how many don't take their C.C. receipts at the charity shop where I volunteer.

Every month I like to reconcile my receipts with my bill, I suppose it comes from working in accounts.

Davidhs Thu 13-Aug-20 16:13:29

Not for small items, it’s good practice to get a receipt for larger items, as for budgeting I think most of us oldies know what we need from week to week. Large purchases (£500+) probably need further thought.

monk08 Thu 13-Aug-20 16:15:15

Always take mine especially now using contactless more, very easy to forget small amounts that soon add up.

silverlining48 Thu 13-Aug-20 16:16:20

Always take mine too.

Poppyred Thu 13-Aug-20 16:32:51

BlueBelle surely the less you have to spend the more careful you need to be about what and where you spend your money?

lemongrove Thu 13-Aug-20 18:32:30

I always ask for a receipt if it looks as if one isn’t forthcoming, even for small purchases. Returning items, balancing the accounts and just as proof of purchase.

lemongrove Thu 13-Aug-20 18:34:11

Very few people also know what their purchases amount to at the till and will accept any amount named ( even when wrong) and even fewer check their change.

Smileless2012 Thu 13-Aug-20 18:36:50

I'm the same lemongrove especially since the lock down as I use contact less 99% of the time and I always used cash for smaller purchases.

Lucca Thu 13-Aug-20 18:38:56

Feeling very inadequate here.....I never have and I dare say never will balance my outgoings?

BlueSky Thu 13-Aug-20 18:43:04

Only for large amounts or clothing that might need to go back. I really have a pet hate for this kind of thing as my first husband insisted on logging every item of the grocery bill, not sure what for. He had books and books of them, perhaps he looks at them now and thinks: " A loaf of bread used to be 10p in 1975"! confused

Bathsheba Thu 13-Aug-20 18:47:00

Me neither Lucca. I never take a receipt for individual purchases if I use Apple Pay, because I have the details on my phone.

However, I always take the receipt in a supermarket in case there's something wrong (it happens!), and if I'm buying something that may need taking back (clothing, e.g.) or a large purchase where the receipt acts as the guarantee, like electrical items for example.

I do get rather annoyed that many self-service tills now default to no receipt, unless you opt to have one - and you have to be quick, because if you look away (packing shopping for instance), then that option expires.

BlueBelle Thu 13-Aug-20 18:47:27

Not at all poppyred I use the same or similar amount every week I ve never gone overdrawn I ve never bought things on credit (apart from a mortgage long gone) I have a credit card but only keep it for a large purchase and then pay it off

I still use cash whenever I can and draw a certain amount out each week I do my supermarket shopping with the Pinger thing which adds it up as you go along so I know exactly what I will pay at the machine
I don’t spend beyond my means my bills are on on DD what would I need to balance I m not sure ?

Oopsadaisy3 Thu 13-Aug-20 18:49:16

Always get a receipt, enter all outgoings in a book ( I have books from 1980) and reconcile with CC statements and the bank balance, every week.

Obviously I worked in Accounts, back in the day.

Poppyred Thu 13-Aug-20 20:10:45

Sorry BlueBelle assumed that everyone uses contactless these days!

Treebee Thu 13-Aug-20 20:20:33

I always take a receipt so I can keep a precise record of my spending, even if it’s a small amount.
Sometimes a shop assistant thinks we’ve finished the transaction and as I wait, then is surprised that I want a receipt. I find it strange that they’re no longer automatically offered.

Maggiemaybe Thu 13-Aug-20 20:23:16

Old habits die hard, Oopsadaisy3. I used to have to reconcile the various accounts at work back in the day and I still do it with my own. Everything (and I mean every little thing!) is on a spreadsheet though. I use contactless for just about everything now so yes, I take the receipts.

Oopsadaisy3 Thu 13-Aug-20 21:54:49

Maggie I often sit and look back at all the cheques I wrote out for really small amounts ( nowadays) but it was usually for a full tank of petrol or a weeks shopping for four of us.
Plus what we thought was an enormous mortgage at the time and cheques for Christmas gifts and Birthdays.
Some of the amounts are for special dresses , school uniforms etc.i can still remember the actual clothing.
Nostalgic!

Chewbacca Thu 13-Aug-20 21:59:51

I always take the receipt and once I'm back in my car, I quickly scan it to make sure it's roughly what I'd calculated it would be. I bought DGD's school uniform last weekend and when I checked the receipt found that I'd been charged incorrectly for several items meaning that I'd been overcharged by more than £5. I also always take the receipt when withdrawing cash from an ATM.

Chewbacca Thu 13-Aug-20 22:01:04

Oopsadaisy3

Always get a receipt, enter all outgoings in a book ( I have books from 1980) and reconcile with CC statements and the bank balance, every week.

Obviously I worked in Accounts, back in the day.

Ditto!

LadyBella Thu 13-Aug-20 22:04:22

Lucca, I'm like you. I keep meaning to keep a kind of balance sheet re outgoings but life's too short. I just can't face it.

BlueBelle Thu 13-Aug-20 22:26:14

I use both poppyred I have contactless but I still like cash for smaller amounts
Would you buy a couple of packets of crisps or a sandwich with contactless ? I wouldn’t but each to his own eh

Poppyred Thu 13-Aug-20 22:46:02

Each to his own indeed!