Gransnet forums

Chat

Good Morning Friday

(54 Posts)
12Michael Fri 14-Aug-20 06:12:50

Good Morning Everyone,
Its a grey start here in Brackley and looking damp outside this morning.
Today my usual shop ,have my lunch and then watch the drama unfold in the cycling on Eurosport this afternoon.
Mind you locally yesterday as i went out we had thunder and lightning and a heavy downpour .
Take Care ,
Mick

gillybob Fri 14-Aug-20 08:24:05

Not sure what happened there ? She was there when I started the post. Happy Friday everyone x

Urmstongran Fri 14-Aug-20 08:26:52

Double bubble - excellent gillybob! She cheers everyone up.

MellowYellow Fri 14-Aug-20 08:40:22

Morning everyone from a bright breezy south Cornwall. Can't believe it, I slept for four hours last night without waking, am still in shock, longest unbroken sleep for months. But dreamt about my ex, what a trade-off ha ha ha! No 4-year-old here today, will be pottering. Bought some coral coloured sandals recently, best comfort ever but awful colour, so am painting them dark turquoise, second coat today. Looking lovely, will match my turquoise toenails. Stay well and peaceful where possible, everyone.

Marydoll Fri 14-Aug-20 08:43:21

Good morning from angry muggy Glasgow.
Glad to hear the test was negative, Grandmattie. Families!!!!

An exciting day planned here ...well not really.
A Tesco delivery, a bit of baking and possibly a visit from SIL with my prescriptions.

Mr Grumpy will continue trying to dig up a dead tree root to provide more room for our many bins.
My neighbour had her garden remodelled and offered us her old slabs. My husband doesn't understand the need for this, as he is a big, strong man, who can pull out the bins easily, without putting his back out! ? Ion the other hand, find it daunting.☹️

Yesterday I got a lovely surprise. When we were down the coast on Wednesday, I realised we had a gift voucher for a restaurant we passed. On checking it back home, I discovered it had expired during lockdown.
I emailed the restaurant group, stating I had been shielding and hadn't been able to use it and got a lovely return email within ten minutes, saying they would extend it until 2021.
The person who replied, said that I needed a little boost, as I hadn't been able to get out for so long. One of the best customer services experience ever. ☺️

Ginster, I understand you are upset, but I'm not sure about Scottish students taking ALL the places up, due to earlier results, as that would be discriminatory and unfair and it would happen every year, as the Scottish results have always come out earlier. There would have been an outcry before now if English and Welsh students didn't get their places because Scottish students took them.

The disappointing exam results are awful and so unfair and I feel for your granddaughter. It reminds me of my own experience. My final degree depended on a resit result. My DH, then my fiancè went to check the university notice board, as I was working in the Knorr factory for the summer, my name was missing from the list. ? Of course that meant no degree. I was obviously devastated.
DH encouraged me to write to my tutor to discuss my options.
It took some persuasion, but I reluctantly did it.

One Saturday morning, I was working in the bar of a local social club, when my mother contacted me to say my university tutor had phoned me. I returned the call to find my name has been mistakenly missed off the pass list and had actually pachieved my degree.
I sat down in the bar sobbing. Unfortunately, some of the customers got the wrong end of the stick and wanted to sort out, whoever had upset me!?

There are systems in place to help students like your granddaughter, so she needs to be proactive and fight back. What I'm trying to say is that although it doesn't seem so at the time, but sometimes things work out even better. I'm sure she will get there.

Wishing you all the best of days.

JenniferEccles Fri 14-Aug-20 08:44:44

*gillybob I hate to be a pessimist, and I certainly can’t claim to know anything about engineering, but is it possible the company are attempting to do the job themselves and picking your brains when they get stuck?

That could explain the probing questions spread out over time.

Like I said, you are the experts but I wonder if it does happen to small companies.

I hope I’m wrong.

brook2704 Fri 14-Aug-20 08:52:07

Good morning everyone from a cloudy warm Inverness it looks like it’s been raining in the night as there’s a few puddles around. Yesterday stayed cloudy but warm of the day and I had a lovely catch up with my friend in the afternoon.
I really hope the students with disappointing results find some resolution, it’s been hard enough these last few months without this impacting on their future as well
Worrying times greyduster hope your DS is ok and gets the treatment he needs
Fingers still crossed for your order gillybob
Have a great day everyone and take care whatever the day brings - and for those having family get togethers- stay cool!?

Anniebach Fri 14-Aug-20 08:53:09

Good morning Auntyflo and all x

grandMattie Fri 14-Aug-20 09:04:16

Urms, I’d murder them!

NfkDumpling Fri 14-Aug-20 09:12:01

JenniferEccles - I've had the same thought and I expect Gilly has too. Just need to hope the ordering firm don't have all the figures and facilities.

No thunder here GMA - but we have just had a very tiny shower of rain.

kittylester Fri 14-Aug-20 09:12:18

Good morning from a dull and overcast North Leicestershire made much brighter by the fact that we have had 2 dgc here overnight. I have missed them.

DD3 will collect them after lunch and we will tidy up and then flop!!

Steak for dinner!

Pittcity Fri 14-Aug-20 09:19:56

Good morning from a grey, humid Colchester. There is thunder rumbling in the distance. Feels much cooler but very close.
I had an early blood test and am now home for tea and toast.
DH had a fishing trip to France booked from tomorrow and so we'll spend the day trying to rearrange that.

BladeAnnie Fri 14-Aug-20 09:25:11

Good morning all from a cooker and fresher mid-Notts. I don't think we've had a storm but it certainly feels much more pleasant. Today is DGDs first birthday - where has the year gone?? Sensibly DD1 is not having both families in the house together as I was shielding up to the beginning of this month. As a nurse she is very aware that covid has not gone and there is still a need to be careful. So Mr BA, DD2 and I are going to see the birthday girl at lunch time and her other grandparents and auntie are going late afternoon. Then we are going to get fish and chips on the way home. That's us sorted for Friday. Hope everyone has the best day possible and please stay safe x

lovebeigecardigans1955 Fri 14-Aug-20 09:33:28

Morning all from an overcast, cooler, slightly breezy but still muggy South Notts. I've just hung the washing out - am I tempting fate? Probably.

A quiet day planned, nothing exciting.

A couple of small jobs is better than nowt Gillybob as you well know, fingers crossed for more. Hope all is well with everyone especially those with worries.

HAZBEEN Fri 14-Aug-20 09:38:24

Good morning from a cooler Surrey. We are off today for a weekend away at a Warner place on the south coast. After my news this week my OH has insisted we upgrade from the "standard" room to a luxury suite as he said I need spoiling! Bless him I knew there was a reason I am still with him!! Have a good weekend everyone x

harrigran Fri 14-Aug-20 09:47:13

Good morning from a cool and misty NE.
The heating was on all day yesterday and came on again this morning, this is a typical northern summer, at least the towels will dry off in the bathroom.
Click and collect in less than an hours time and joy of joy nothing is missing or substituted.
Visited my sister yesterday and we swapped books, had a ten minute conversation at her door. She is going to meet up with SD and her family next week who are staying in a caravan with four lively boys.
Take care everyone, I see only essential travel to France is allowed, probably scuppered a lot of plans.

Auntieflo Fri 14-Aug-20 09:48:28

Good morning Mick, Annie and all.
It is much cooler here and evidently we had quite a rain storm during the night. I heard nothing.
DH had his penultimate hormone injection yesterday, and he is still not feeling great.
I am expecting a fan to be delivered sometime today, but may not need it as much now after the rain.
After seeing Gillybob's double Friday girl, I thought she had got her order confirmed. Fingers still firmly crossed.

Have a good day one and all.

CherryCezzy Fri 14-Aug-20 10:01:43

Good morning Mick and all of you. It's grey, it's wet, it's the Gower.

I came back half a stone lighter after my visit to the hairdresser yesterday ?. When the hairdresser was sweeping up I thought ? oh - there's enough hair there to make a rug ?. The manager made an appearance and remarked "so you just decided to have a trim then".

Pleased to hear that it's just a summer cold your DGD has and not covid grandMattie ☺️

Ker-ching Marydoll! That's what I call customer service ?

BladeAnnie, does anyone of us know where the time goes? On the one hand this year seems, with the virus, to have gone on and on but then suddenly we're well into August already ?
Enjoy your little DGD's very first birthday ?

Gingster, it will work out for your GD I'm sure. The fiasco that has happened with the results is dreadful but many of the colleges and universities understand that. I went to university through clearing because I was going to apply the following year (long story) and didn't necessarily go exactly where I'd hoped. The course I studied was similar to my first choice even the the university was not. It was brilliant in the end ☺️

gillybob, I too have my fingers still crossed for you ?

Thinking of all our missing posters and others struggling at the moment ????

Take care and be kind to yourselves everyone ❤️

maydonoz Fri 14-Aug-20 10:08:25

Good morning all from a dull and damp Welwyn, Herts although we've just arrived in Suffolk with our DS2 at his workplace.
We had a terrific thunderstorm last night followed by a downpour, the like of which I haven't seen for a long time, no need to water the beans or anything else for that matter.
Will be in Suffolk most of the day, hope to get home by early evening, it's a nice trip to the countryside as well as for work.
Have a good day all.

Taichinan Fri 14-Aug-20 10:26:22

Good morning all from a grey misty and cool Angus coast. No tai chi in the garden today, sadly. A glorious afternoon with the "natterjacks" (aka art group) yesterday. Having tried out all the garden sit-ooteries we ended up in the garden room with the patio doors wide open to get out of the wind though. It didn't stop us from nattering, needless to say! I know what you mean Grandmattie - just because we love our grandchildren doesn't mean we always like them! And it can be so difficult keeping the tongue well and truly bitten. Glad to hear your GD is OK. Gingster the Scottish exam results have always been earlier than those in England and Wales - it's just that with the furore over results that they've made the national headlines this year. Now I'm off to do some food shopping at my nearest M&S food outlet which means a longish drive. It'll cheer me up because the tai chi is off! Have a good Friday everyone (especially Gillybob!) and thoughts and love to all who are unwell or just plain 'down' ???

EllanVannin Fri 14-Aug-20 10:47:56

Good Morning All x
A storm-free evening last night ending a lovely day. Today is starting pleasant enough, more cloud and cooler but the sun is trying its best.

I'll be phoning D today to see how she got on yesterday in Durham. It would have been a bit much to have rang her last night after her travels then seeing to the family.

Being as it's cooler I'll finish off weeding in between the tiles at the front with my trusty gadget where no bending is necessary. It only cost £5 and is a stiff wire brush with a metal spike on the end of a stave.

A bit of a disturbed sleep for the first time last night. I was dropping off nicely when a police car, lights flashing and siren going sped up this quiet road next to where I am. Never in 14 years has that ever happened so that unnerved me for a while. As a consequence I woke up at 08.40 ! Missed the news and weather. Still, it's not the end of the world smile

Hoping news on blood-tests here aren't alarming in any way though thank goodness for them as they can tell a GP what's going on instead of guessing.

Urmson, speaking of immunisation---it's me who used to be the wally grin if I saw the baby's/ child's lip drop and tears filling their eyes, I'd be the same. Hopeless.
Thankfully with all 7 children here theirs are all up to date.

A bit of shopping to get done to tide me over until I pluck up courage to get to Asda armed with a list a foot long next week.

A bit of a breather for Gillybob, however small it's welcome and is a starter----always supposing that the bigger order isn't scuttled through their " brain-picking ". x

Stay well and safe everyone and have a good day. xx
Thoughts to our pals who struggle.

Kalu Fri 14-Aug-20 10:57:10

Good morning all from a cloudy Glasgow which I can put up with as we have been fortunate to have missed the dreadful thunderstorms and consequent flooding.

GD1 told me her first day back at school was a bit bizarre but was glad to be back. GD2, P7 started back today. Fingers crossed for all children to resume full time education. ?

Hope everyone enjoys the day.

Gwenisgreat1 Fri 14-Aug-20 11:03:40

Good Morning from a dismal Harrogate, exhausted after have Dgd here yesterday and also Gs. Dgd was 'reading' a book about insects, and announced "I'm really not a fan of spiders!" from a 4 year old!! I'm now in total isolation, supposed to be having a minor foot operation on Monday!
Hope you are all well

Georgesgran Fri 14-Aug-20 11:50:31

Cool, damp and miserable again in Durham - what’s going on up here?? Outdoor coffee yesterday and needed a jumper on!
Inconsiderate (long story) neighbours are having new windows installed - they spent the weekend tidying the wilderness of a garden - too much to hope they might be moving and taking their SIX cars with them!! The work van has blocked us in, so if we decide to go out later, I’ll have to ask them to move it. Nothing much to do really, but must drop a bottle of red and a birthday card off for friend’s son later.

Hope everyone has the best day they can. X

Bella51 Fri 14-Aug-20 11:52:55

Good morning, nearly afternoon from a warm and sunny Co. Fermanagh. Weather has been lovely all week, war. And pleasant after having so much rain in July. Grandkids have been here six weeks and go back to London on Sunday. The house will be very quiet and empty then. However school will soon be starting. It's been a great time for all of us.

Georgesgran Fri 14-Aug-20 12:07:29

Have lost the P.S. to my post - was really looking forward to a meal out with both DDs next weekend - first time together since February. Text from DD1 to say 3 members of staff have tested positive for Covid, so it’s closed. Hey ho?! X