Gransnet forums

Chat

Do you know where you are in the world?

(35 Posts)
Poppyred Fri 14-Aug-20 10:37:41

My geography is fairly good. I know on a map where I live and could pinpoint on a map where most places in the world are located.

Not so my husband or youngest daughter, they have no idea where they are lol...and it doesn’t bother them at all. Think I would feel disorientated if I didn’t know.

Callistemon Fri 14-Aug-20 14:09:01

SueDonim did you go into any map shops in Australia?
The world maps are the other way up.

That could confuse some people. When we're travelling I always think of north as going up, east going right etc but of course that's nonsense. We live on a globe.

Poppyred Fri 14-Aug-20 14:19:18

The question is usually - put these UK cities in order from North to South ......

I didn’t say that they did not know the difference between countries and towns.....

SueDonim Fri 14-Aug-20 14:24:08

Oh yes, that’s right, Callistemon! I’d forgotten. Dh is a map addict so we had to bring a couple home as souvenirs.

Agreed about the going up when going north etc. We always joke that it’s faster to go south because it’s downhill, whereas returning home is slower because it’s uphill from London to Aberdeen. grin

MawB Fri 14-Aug-20 14:24:35

I wouldn’t say I watch Who Wants etc but I have never come across that particular question - must have missed it.
I don’t think anybody suggested (not me) they don’t know the difference between towns and countries (not that East Anglia is either) but how embarrassing to have no idea of the general precepts.
Not so my husband or youngest daughter, they have no idea where they are lol...and it doesn’t bother them at all

Poppyred Fri 14-Aug-20 14:58:39

They’re not embarrassed MawB that’s the whole point...it’s not important to them. It is to me.

Urmstongran Fri 14-Aug-20 15:23:56

I have to check a U.K. map now & again to see where some towns and cities are. If you gave me 20 dots to represent towns and cities I’m not convinced I’d get even half of them absolutely right. eg Doncaster, Shrewsbury, Paisley, Aberystwyth to name a few would probably be ‘only in the vicinity’.
?

Callistemon Fri 14-Aug-20 15:45:32

Urmstongran
I had to look up Paisley blush
Left of Glasgow

Urmstongran Fri 14-Aug-20 18:30:36

Thanks Calli!

Barmeyoldbat Fri 14-Aug-20 18:40:31

We have a globe and the GC from an early age have always been interested in it. In fact they learnt at very early age where, when we pointed it out on the globe they were overjoyed as we were nearer to Father Christmas and the start of his journey!