Gransnet forums

Chat

Good Morning Thursday

(69 Posts)
12Michael Thu 20-Aug-20 06:16:50

Good Morning Everyone,
Its looking like a clear bright start here in Brackley and dry as well.
My usual day of on the buses to Buckingham and Bicester , I am hoping this routine may alter once the schools go back and most bus routes operate there normal schedules .
A bit of a tidy up before I go as well.
Take Care ,
Mick

Gingster Thu 20-Aug-20 08:23:08

Good morning all . It’s a bit overcast but the sun is peeping out over the sea. I think this is the calm before the storm. Strong winds coming in tomorrow. Storm Ellen is on her way. Batten down the hatches. I do love to watch it while cosily indoors, but hope there is no destruction. We lost a summerhouse 18 months ago due to a stormy day here.

My Dg eventually has sorted out her degree course. She lost her 1st choice of university due to the downgrading, but has had a zoom interview for her 2nd choice and has been awarded a place to start in September. Very disappointing and frustrating. The u turn is too little, too late. Good luck to all GCSE students and their results today. Let’s hope they fare better than the poor A levellers did. ?.

Well done to Sars Gds. what a wonderful opportunity. It’s so lovely when our GC do well and are happy. ?.

Cherry I hope your help with the young lady works out. She obviously relies on You and you must be a rock for her to lean on. Keep trying ! ?

Kind thoughts to all ?

Grammaretto Thu 20-Aug-20 08:30:35

Good morning all from the Scottish Borders. Fresh and bright here today blowing a hoolie
But at least that muggyness and thick fog has gone.
kalu yeugh! I hope you can get 40winks to catch up later.
Sar53 proud granny indeed! grin

The computer man came and sorted our defunct WiFi so there's no excuse not to tackle the bills.
Though I never know why we pay BT such a huge bill and we still get junk calls.
Have as best a day as you can. Stay safe.

Kalu Thu 20-Aug-20 08:32:19

Happy 12th birthday to your DG NannyJan. Fingers crossed for a sunny Saturday to enjoy your garden party ?
Your GD will be on cloud nine Sar, well done her. Sounds like you are having such a lovely time with your family.
I do hope things work out for the young lady you are trying to help Cherry . It sounds like quite a task you have taken on, take care of yourself too.

Greyduster Thu 20-Aug-20 08:35:34

Good morning, Michael and all GNs from a sunny South Yorkshire. Some laundry to get going today and then out somewhere to take advantage of the weather. We didn’t set foot outside yesterday as it rained solidly. I resurrected a rug I began making last year and abandoned, as is my habit! I only have the border done so far - I haven’t worked out what’s going to go on in the middle! Whatever you have planned, have a good safe day, folks.

Kalu Thu 20-Aug-20 08:36:27

Yeugh indeed Grammaretto. Forty winks is definitely on the cards for later. I hope your DH is going from strength to strength during his recovery.

Gelisajams Thu 20-Aug-20 08:39:24

Good morning from a sunny Southport. We feared losing the awning during the night but it’s still there. We don’t usually use it but DS2 is joining us during the day. He’s staying nearby in a hotel at our expense! I struggled yesterday with a migraine but I didn’t want to ruin everyone’s plans. Not feeling brilliant this morning but hopefully will get better as the day wears on.
Take care and stay safe everyone ?

harrigran Thu 20-Aug-20 08:40:53

Good morning from an already sunny NE.
Another good night without being disturbed in the spare room. Interesting that my guest room has a far superior mattress to the master.
Nothing arranged for today but I do have a pile of books on order which may or may not arrive.
Good luck to those awaiting results today and well done to the ballerina.

grannysyb Thu 20-Aug-20 08:46:45

It was bright here, but now clouding over. Washing machine man coming today as it has started making a funny noise. However managed to wash two large table cloths, one of which had a large amount of red wine spilt on it, thankfully it looks fine! As rain is coming later I am going to to some cutting back this morning. Have a good day everyone

gillybob Thu 20-Aug-20 08:48:20

Good morning from the NE coast where it has stopped raining for now. Torrential rain late in the day yesterday and almost all night as well as this gale force winds. Summer has definitely forgotten us this year .

Still no news on the order front but I have a meeting at 11 am so not rushing into “that place” too soon today and enjoying a second cup of tea before I leave . We have a couple of small jobs in to keep us busy for the next few weeks but that’s about it . Such a worry . Oh to win the lottery and be able to sleep at night without that churned up feeling .

You seem to have taken on a lot of responsibility Providing support to that young lady CherryCezzy you must be a special person if she has turned to you for help . I hope you are not taking too much on and are looking after yourself too.

Happy Birthday to your 2nd DGD NannyJan. I have a 12 year old too . smile

Thinking of all our young people awaiting GCSE results . Such a worrying time .

Remembering our missing friends as always and thinking of those feeling poorly or under the weather . Hoping for some much needed sunshine very soon.

Have as good a Thursday as possible everyone .
Love Gillybob xx

Susan56 Thu 20-Aug-20 08:52:42

Good morning from Shropshire where the rain has stopped??

DGD staying with us so the day will be dictated by what she wants to do.Will probably involve baking and gardening.

Well done to your granddaughter Sar and good luck to all
getting results today.

Cherry,you are so kind helping the young lady but don’t do so much that it is detrimental to your own health?

Sending good wishes to all and thinking of our missing good morningers?

Anniebach Thu 20-Aug-20 08:53:01

Good morning Auntyflo and all x

CherryCezzy Thu 20-Aug-20 08:54:21

NannyJan, happy birthday to your dgd, hope the weather is fine on Saturday ?

Well done to your 8 and 11 year old dgds Sar ?

Eek, yuk Kalu, what a horrible night. Hope you get your 40 winks later.

Thanks Gingster and Kalu, I'll keep trying and ?

Hope all the anxious dgcs get the GCSE results they deserve today ?

CherryCezzy Thu 20-Aug-20 08:59:12

Thanks gillybob and Susan, I try to look after myself too ☺️

CherryCezzy Thu 20-Aug-20 09:00:12

Good luck at 11am gillybob ?

Grandmafrench Thu 20-Aug-20 09:03:11

Good morning everyone from a very warm and humid (hate that) South of France. ??

Just made myself laugh, sitting up in bed - still - after a late night and clutching one of Pants’ Spanish chamberpots, I nudged the dictation button on my tablet. Idea ! I can sit here and dictate, and not make much of an effort with the keyboard plus drink tea - multi-tasking at its best. This came to nothing because I clearly need the practice : when I said ‘bracket’ and ‘delete’ that’s exactly what it printed! I thought I’d spare busy GoodMorningers the underwhelming results of my dictation. Back to the drawing board on that, I think.

Last night enjoyed a garden supper @ friends until about 11.30 and then came home and sat in our garden for another hour and a half, just enjoying a breeze, the silence, the scent of the flowers and the night sky. DH was seriously talking about staying there - I was seriously talking about what state our backs would be in by morning.....so we rather reluctantly went in to bed.

No plan today other than a hair cut late this afternoon.

Kalu what a really rude start to your Thursday. Getting middle of the night messages is very unnerving. Of course the additional insult provided by a vomiting cat doesn’t really help create the right ambience for sleep either, does it? Ours are banned from the bedroom precisely for that reason! I have a very good memory...... Enjoy your slightly longer day!

Cherry take careful note that I am ? watching you. Whatever kindness and help you are able to offer, please don’t forget that you owe some care and tlc to yourself and your WP (that wonderful person who helps you stay upright!), so not too much running around and trying to do it all, please, so you wear yourself out. Too many people wish you well and want you to stay well, so don’t forget........heed old GrandmaFrench’s warning. ☝️

In order to strip and change the bed, I shall remove myself from it and make a delayed start to the day. I can see a can of paint has appeared in the courtyard. What can HE be up to? I need to go and check, I think.

So pleased to see that family visits and quite a lot of normal life has returned for most of you. Slowly but surely it seems we shall take back our lives and maybe just mould them slightly to accommodate some things that we can’t change or that are beyond our control. Staying positive is the thing, getting as much as possible out of every day whilst remembering that we now really need to do what we want and for most of the time. Our time is now, we need to make the most of it.

Happy Thursday to all. Please take care and stay safe.
Hugs from the Med’

GrannyGravy13 Thu 20-Aug-20 09:11:37

Grandmafrench that is my problem I need to get out of bed so that I can strip it ?

CherryCezzy Thu 20-Aug-20 09:25:18

Thanks Grandmafrench, that is my WP's worry too. I seem to have "inherited" my mother's help out where you can attitude and if I can I will.

Time I set to it ... ?

Googes41 Thu 20-Aug-20 09:40:01

August 20th A strange day for me. My mil died on August
20th. My mother died on August 20th 15 years later. My
First grandson was born on August 20th 10 years ago.
Sadly I won’t see him as they live in New York but will
Face time him later.
Have a good day everyone

Kalu Thu 20-Aug-20 09:51:52

I’m too much of a softy to ban her from the bedroom Grandmafrench. My own worst enemy but as I think she may well be our last pet no rules apply and she is utterly spoiled?
What a blissful evening you have described which took me back to those similar balmy evenings we enjoyed soaking up the moment before it really was time we should be in bed.

Marydoll Thu 20-Aug-20 09:51:52

Good morning all from a windy , but bright Glasgow. I did post at 7am, but it has disappeared into the ether and I call myself IT literate? grin.

It's lovely to hear of everyone meeting up with family today, enjoy! Gilly, good luck!
Nina, welcome back! Nortsat, I hope you have a better day today.

I don't have much planned for today, perhaps a bit of baking, but not sure what to make. My children are away at the moment, so there is no-one to eat it.
I awaiting delivery of a new chair for the conservatory today. I had been looking for one before lockdown, but had put it on hold.
After my Tesco adventure last week, DD asked if I wanted five minutes in M&S. She sounded just like her father. I saw exactly what I was looking for, in a deep teal velvet and ordered it when I got home. As a bonus, I got 5x points on my card. A result. grin

The missing prescriprion saga update.
As I wasn't feeling too great yesterday, DH drove me to pick up the missing prescriptions. We were lucky, as there was no queue outside the pharmacy. I was shocked to see a whole new staff, since my last visit in March. The old staff had been there for years.

I asked for the prescriptions, the assistant went to look, came back and said that I had no prescriptions to collect! I explained that I did and perhaps they were through the back, as they have to be locked away. Blank look. Shen then checked her device and said she couldn't see them.
By this time, DH was looking at me with fear in his eyes, he knew I was feeling awful and was sure I was going to blow.?

Instead I explained very slowly that they had been ordered ELEVEN days ago, some had been picked up on Saturday, some of the packets were short and some hadn't been dispensed at all. The pharmacist came out to intervene and I explained the whole story again, including the numerous, unproductive phone calls. Then much to my embarrassment, I burst into tears. blush. No-one knew what to do. I was mortified, but it had been the straw which broke this wee camel's back!
The pharmacist went away and came back, apologising profusely, with a bag of, you guessed, the missing medication, including the controlled drug, which I had allegedly already received.

I put a smile on my face, handed over tubs of Quality Street and Roses, saying I appreciated how difficult their job was in the present circumstances. They were totally taken aback.

Wishing everyone a pleasant day and thinking of our missing posters, hoping they are beginning to feel better..

lucyanne Thu 20-Aug-20 09:52:19

Good morning all from sunny Cumbria. I have never witnessed hot sun and heavy winds at the same time in England. I was up early righting all the large pots that have blown over in the night. Sweet peas collected and in a vase. Washer on, carrot cake and lemon drizzle in the oven, what a delicious aroma.
I am expecting a long overdue visit from a friend who has been self isolating and still social distancing so it will take place in the windy garden.
Thinking of all our young people today awaiting GCSE results . Such a worrying time for them along with those struggling with securing Uni places.

Have a wonderful day.

Marydoll Thu 20-Aug-20 09:53:22

I meant to say, Cherry, I hope you manage to help your friend, but you must take care of yourself too. ?

EllanVannin Thu 20-Aug-20 09:58:22

Good Morning All x.
Lovely morning with the making of a good day, so that calls for washing to be done. Did next to nothing yesterday as it didn't stop raining. It was so heavy last night I couldn't hear the TV and had to turn it up, also had to close the bedroom window as the rain was coming in.

A bit of local shopping to keep things ticking over. I haven't ventured to Asda yet, but am now determined to start stocking up----just in case !
I'm getting slightly fed up with this abnormal way of life as I was one for doing things on speck and generally pleasing myself, I'm feeling quite restrained.

Bedding washed so now the second lot is on the go. If I hadn't have broken off this post would be done, ah well never mind there's all day to get done.

Hope everyone's doing alright and Gillybob gets some news to perk her up.x If anyone needs a lift, it's her.

Stay well and safe everyone---cloud coming over, how dare it. I'll catch up with posts as I go along xx

Kalu Thu 20-Aug-20 10:02:10

Aw, Marydoll, not surprised you burst into tears of frustration. What you have gone through to get your meds would break most of us. Do you want 5 mins in M&S? ? As if you would turn that offer down! Hope you feel a bit cheerier today looking forward to your new top arriving.

Hermia46 Thu 20-Aug-20 10:02:47

Oh Marydoll sometimes the pressure just becomes too much, no wonder you sobbed. I am so with you on this, we have all had enough really and just want everything to return to normal. flowers