Gransnet forums

Chat

Lack of hair salon precautions.

(130 Posts)
kittylester Sat 22-Aug-20 15:37:47

My hairdresser is a friend of nearly 20 years standing, as well as having been 'involved' with my hair, first, as a junior, then as a stylist and latterly as the owner of the salon for nearly 40 years!.

One of my friends also uses her salon but last time she went none of the staff were wearing PPE and when she questioned it she was told that they would wear it if asked but that it wasn't compulsory.

We have decided that we won't go back but wonder if we should report her to someone.

But, worse than that- I have dreadful hair and have to find a new hairdresser. grin

Marjgran Sun 23-Aug-20 09:45:14

Tell your hairdresser she is unwise and illegal. Do it anonymously if necessary. I expect other clients will report her. PPE is mandatory not optional.

lizzie111 Sun 23-Aug-20 09:45:17

Do you really report friends of 20 years when you can ask them to wear a mask was it your friend that did your hair or someone else?

Caramac Sun 23-Aug-20 09:45:57

My daughter has a salon, she and her staff all wear both a mask and visor and also have a policy that the client wears a mask unless they have a reason not to.
Not wearing a mask and visor is non-negotiable and against regulations.

CrazyGrandma2 Sun 23-Aug-20 09:47:23

First trip to hairdresser on Friday. Very impressed with all the Covid arrangements. I had to wear a mask - obviously - waited outside for door to be unlocked, temperature taken before entry, sanitised hands from automatic dispenser, one use disposable cloak instead of usual cape. She wore visor and mask. Sanitised hands again before paying. And on top of that, I went in with extremely long, tatty hair and came out with a modern short hairstyle! One very happy customer smile

Juicylucy Sun 23-Aug-20 09:53:44

My hair dresser is the same she asks you as you go in to the salon if you want her to wear PPE. I’m not sure the guidelines say it’s compulsory for hairdressers as they are facing same way, but I don’t know for sure.
I wouldn’t report her I’d just ask her to wear it next tine.

NannyMags Sun 23-Aug-20 09:54:55

I had my hair done Saturday morning and she had to increase her PPE! 6 weeks ago when I went she was wearing a visor but this time she was wearing a mask and visor. She said all hairdressers and beauticians etc had been told by the government to increase protection. She is still using the plastic sheeting gowns and deep cleaning between clients. So yes, I would say she was breaking regulations.

4allweknow Sun 23-Aug-20 10:00:10

Some of the problem may be recognising what is 'advice' and what is 'law'. So confusing. Even face masks in stores, public transport etc is Advice which isn't really law. If governments would come out and say you Must do something instead of issuing Advice all the time there would be no room for people making their own decisions.. Travelled ny plane in UK yesterday. The number of young adults with marks coveting only their mouths was appalling. Then the 'allowed to remove for eating and drinking' . Due to being noisy a family caught my attention and I couldn't help but notice no masks as they were eating, but this eating went on for 1 hour 10 mins. They weren't having a meal, it was a picnic with dips, crisps, nuts and all sorts. And, of course they were chatting and laughing the whole time. Meanwhile the rest of us were wearing masks to protect them.

Oldwoman70 Sun 23-Aug-20 10:04:37

As you have known her so long I would first have a quiet word, tell her of your concerns, that the government edict is mandatory and ask her if she is following all the rules. If you are unhappy with her replies tell her you would feel unsafe using her salon and find another hairdresser.

As for reporting her, I would only do so if she refused to follow all the safety guidelines.

Ailidh Sun 23-Aug-20 10:05:25

When I rang to make my first haircut after it was allowed, I asked what precautions they were taking. TBH ~ hey, I'm British! ~ I was a bit round the hedges with it, "I suppose you're having to cut back on the numbers of appointments to allow for distancing and so on", and she told me all they were doing. As time and other people's levels of stupidity have gone on, I'd just ask outright now.

She had:
A free-standing, automatic gel dispenser
Only one customer per room ~ she has a back, washing room and also a side room that was a slightly abandoned nail bar. A customer who arrived early was told to wait in there until I'd gone.
She definitely had a visor, I can't remember about a mask
Card only
No drinks/magazines
All customers wore masks
We were asked if we were well as we went in.
I definitely felt very safe.

OP ~ in your case, I'd ring to make an appointment and ask outright what her safety arrangements are. I'm not remotely doubting your friend but if you thought it right to report her, I'd feel more comfortable reporting something of which I had first hand knowledge.
If she gives you the same "it's not compulsory" answer, I'd tell her you won't make the appointment.

Reporting someone is a really big deal ~ but so is transmitting Covid-19. If you report her, someone will investigate, they won't just blanket close or fine her. If she's in the right, no further action. If she's in the wrong, you could be protecting a vulnerable client or a client's vulnerable relation from a really horrendous illness.

Lewie Sun 23-Aug-20 10:09:38

I think what you're contemplating is a bit harsh. Just tell her about your concerns and I'm sure if she is a real friend she will do whatever is required to put you at your ease. Leaving her and looking for another hairdresser seems a bit drastic to me.
Fortunately, I have a mobile hairdresser who comes to my home and she just wears a visor, which is fine by me.

Jan51 Sun 23-Aug-20 10:11:17

DH and I went to our hairdressers a couple of weeks ago. We waited outside until they were ready for us, our temperature was checked as we went in, we were asked to sanitise our hands and were shown to seats seperated by plastic screens. All the staff were wearing aprons and face shields. The owner told me that they had received a letter from the local council stating that if they were found to be breaking any of the requirements they
risked a fine and the removal of their trading licence.
He was telling me that during lockdown a number of clients had been phoning to ask if a member of staff could do a home visit and got quite narky when told it wasn't allowed and could again put him at risk of a fine or losing his licence aside from the fact it's a family business and his wife was shielding.

Houndi Sun 23-Aug-20 10:12:23

My hairdressercjustcallowesxyoucat allottedxtime no one canccomecwith you.Coat and bagchavecto be put into bag she wears a mask i wear a mask disposable capes .correct money or card

ToadsMum Sun 23-Aug-20 10:12:54

I’ve just had my second appointment since hairdressers reopened. The hairdresser wears a visor together with plastic apron and gloves. I have to hand sanitise on arrival and wear mask (paper ones available or I can wear my own) Disposable gown and some sort of j cloth/microfibre towel from a roll. My coat and bag have to go into a plastic (so cleanable) box. I bring my own water (or could bring a coffee from conveniently located coffee shop next door). I drink it when reading my book as I wait for my colours. We still chat (even to other customers despite Perspex screens seperating us). Perpex seperated “stations” are cleaned between customers. I feel very safe and the welcome is as warm as ever. Going to the hairdressers has always been something I enjoy, just that time away from life or anticipating a special occasion, bit of self indulgence. It still is albeit in a different way to before. The salon owner (a young entrepreneur) has been in touch throughout lockdown via social media and also directly, gearing up to reopening with responsible measures in place. It can be done and should be done - for the staff and the customers.
I would certainly raise it with the owner particularly if you count her as a friend. Ask her why and explain you are uncomfortable. Surely she wants her clients to enjoy having their hair done?

Kim19 Sun 23-Aug-20 10:13:57

I certainly wouldn't report her.

Jan51 Sun 23-Aug-20 10:17:03

meant to add that after I paid with my card he handed it back and asked me to use the sanitiser on my hands and my card as he had touched it.

Gingergirl Sun 23-Aug-20 10:18:41

Official advice is that a visor was ok but now they need to wear a mask as well. A mask is also mandatory for a client from 8th August.(I believe). I wouldn’t report them. We all make our own choices, professionally and personally. (On top of which some people are exempt).

Mauddib Sun 23-Aug-20 10:19:33

You said she would wear it if asked. So what's your problem. Just ask when next you need her to do your hair.

seadragon Sun 23-Aug-20 10:21:40

I agree with those advising speaking to this hairdresser after double checking govt requirements; perhaps giving her a copy if need be. I also agree, though, that mask AND visor is much safer. I'd point out that one of her customers may report her and that I would not feel safe as her customer...I had stopped getting my hair cut before lockdown...for no particular reason...and just put it up. Interestingly, as the spare tail has got longer it has become very curly and assumes a different shape on the top of my head each morning! It is also a different colour. Although, I went grey many years ago the tail looks brown against my head. Always a bit eccentric, I enjoy my daily different head-dress. Sometimes it winds itself into a very severe Samurai warrior topknot other times it winds itself into an elaborate 'fascinator'!! It is frustrating that the only 'prongs' I can get for my hair are so uninspired and often poorly designed so that they cut my hair!

rafichagran Sun 23-Aug-20 10:22:20

Dont report her, she is a friend. When you have your hair done, ask her to sanitise the chair and wear a mask. If she does this, problem sorted, what she does with other customers does not concern you.
To be fair some customers do not mind, that is up to them them. I hate all this reporting it's just not necessary.

Heather51 Sun 23-Aug-20 10:23:51

Had my hair cut last week for the first time since before lockdown. Hairdresser has cut number of appointments but extended her opening hours and is still only doing 60% of her usual business to allow for social distancing and time to sanitise between customers.

Told not to arrive early and to wait outside until invited in. Told not to bring bags etc, just means of payment, keys and phone which were put into disposable plastic bags on entry. Clear plastic screens between chairs.
Hands sanitised on arrival and temperature taken.
Disposable cape provided which I had to put on myself. Hairdresser wore disposable apron, mask and visor.
I felt very safe and had a lovely haircut. Feel very lucky to have such a caring hairdresser.

Nvella Sun 23-Aug-20 10:24:13

I went to two hairdressers a few weeks ago - a local one for my highlights and a west end salon for my cut. The local salon was a joke - half the stylists wore their face masks under their nose and the chairs were not spaced properly. The irony is that the salon is bang opposite a large teaching hospital which has treated a lot of Covid patients and I had gone just after restrictions had been lifted when you had thought they would be more careful. I found out later that the local gossip is that the salon had been functioning throughout lockdown with the blinds down. The West end salon couldn’t have been more different - they wouldn’t let me in (I arrived 5 minutes early) till my appointed time, took my temperature, half the seats not being used and my stylist washed my hair (to minimise the contact with different members of staff). I won’t go back to the local salon.

kittylester Sun 23-Aug-20 10:27:08

She is the 'professional's here so should take the lead in my view and follow the guidelines. And, as I said, if she is so lackadaisical in this aspect how much more is she going to skim over. It's all very well her doing it when I ask but I'm not there all the time.

annemac101 Sun 23-Aug-20 10:28:31

I don’t know about the rest of the UK but in Scotland if you wear a visor It’s mandatory that you wear a mask as well. I would think it’s obvious with a hairdresser who is standing over you. Any droplets would escape from bottom of mask onto customers. I wouldn’t report her, either ask her or go to someone who sticks to the rules and keeps you safe.

Melano Sun 23-Aug-20 10:29:56

Report her as her behaviour is irresponsible and find another hairdresser .Don’t accept it ,its bordering on abuse of trust.

Rosina Sun 23-Aug-20 10:39:31

My hairdresser has put all measures in place, and when the very junior assistant was combing my hair after shampoo she accidently knocked her visor out of place, breaking the clip, and dropped the comb. She disappeared at once to the back of the shop, returned with a different visor, and said she had sterilised the comb. That makes me feel secure - I certainly wouldn't in your hair salon kittylester but I woudl give her the chance to explain why she feels it's reasonable to ignore the mask ruling. As others have said - what else is being missed? Are they sterilising scissors and washing towels properly ? You are right to be concerned - I would be.