Gransnet forums

Chat

Lack of hair salon precautions.

(130 Posts)
kittylester Sat 22-Aug-20 15:37:47

My hairdresser is a friend of nearly 20 years standing, as well as having been 'involved' with my hair, first, as a junior, then as a stylist and latterly as the owner of the salon for nearly 40 years!.

One of my friends also uses her salon but last time she went none of the staff were wearing PPE and when she questioned it she was told that they would wear it if asked but that it wasn't compulsory.

We have decided that we won't go back but wonder if we should report her to someone.

But, worse than that- I have dreadful hair and have to find a new hairdresser. grin

Furret Tue 25-Aug-20 21:39:25

Asked my hairdresser about this here is her reply

“Hi. Government have now said all clients in the salon need to wear a mask now as of 8th August. We as stylist also have to wear a mask and visor. Thanks kerrie“

Greeneyedgirl Mon 24-Aug-20 12:20:59

Isn’t this post interesting in the way that we all are different in how we assess and manage risk, some of us regard loyalty and friendship before general social well-being? I’m not being judgemental, but just observant as to variance in behaviour. Perhaps some of us perceive there to be minimal risk.?

Cabbie21 Mon 24-Aug-20 09:22:48

I hadn’t realised that hairdressers are now meant to wear masks as well as visors. Mine didn’t last week, and she is the owner, so that doesn’t bode well. I was also not impressed that there was no obvious sanitisation of the chairs. Naturally I used the hand gel before I left, but now this is worrying me. I am reluctant to move as we have agreed on a colouring technique to help to transition with greying hair. Anyway I have got a few weeks to think about it.

Bk Mon 24-Aug-20 09:04:18

I would suggest that you call or contact via facebook to make an appointment and ask if she is now adhering to the government guidelines if she is not then politely tell her that until she does you don’t feel comfortable visiting the salon but to let you know if when she does introduce PPE . You could suggest sending her the link via to the gov guidelines Via Facebook . Or contact her in the first instance via Facebook to make an appointment then other customers may see she is not protecting them or you.

mumstheword86 Mon 24-Aug-20 08:04:32

Definitely time to talk to your hairdresser or just find another hairdresser good luck !! Also you could do as I have found a new way of managing my hair due to lock down and it’s cheaper and everyone says looks lovely and suits you mum xx

Craftycat Mon 24-Aug-20 07:48:19

What a fuss about nothing. Just ask her to wear a mask. She has said she will if asked!

Flygirl Sun 23-Aug-20 23:07:55

Just let's stop and think for a moment. How dreadful is it, that in the space of a few short months, we have become a nation of snitchers and reporters of so called non-compliance to those people who have been good friends of ours for years. Where is this all going? What a sad state of affairs, when all is said and done. Shades of the 1930s and 40s. Let's not go down that route again.

Jaye53 Sun 23-Aug-20 21:54:40

Oh dear me that's not a nice or decent way to treat your friendconfused and very mean in fact. Wouldn't like to be your friend KittyLester if that's how you treat them

Seakay Sun 23-Aug-20 21:28:41

NannaGrandad

I understand your concern and it’s now mandatory for hairdressers wear masks too but please don’t report her. It’s sneaky and may cause untold problems. After months with no income a hefty fine might be difficult to fund.
Please have a quiet word and point her to the current guidance.

It's democracy! The selfish hairdresser is exposing unknown numbers of people to unnecessary risk just to get a financial advantage over those doing the right thing.
"It's sneaky"?! Haven't your morals progressed at all since infancy? This isn't a playground, it's life, death and long term debilitating illness. It's also the financial well being of the entire neighbourhood, as everyone will suffer if there has to be a local lock down

Aepgirl Sun 23-Aug-20 21:27:39

My hairdresser was berated by a nearby salon because she has carried out all the recommended safety precautions. The nearby salon owner said she was losing clients because her staff were not adhering to the guidelines sufficiently. My hairdresser replied that she will not lower her standards, and is gaining many clients because of this.
She wears a visor and a mask, disposable apron, and all clients must wear face covering and are provided with disposable aprons.

Seakay Sun 23-Aug-20 21:21:34

Nan0

Do not report them that is verging on stasiland.write a personal private letter to the hairdresser running the salon explaining that you wont come for hair appts whilst they are not wearing Ppe

How do you feel about people not wearing seatbelts or using phones when driving? The law isn't optional for people you happen to have a relationship with, it's to protect everybody

Seakay Sun 23-Aug-20 21:19:11

microdroplets stay in the air for up to 16 hours. If your hairdresser is only doing the bare minimum when asked by each customer I wouldn't trust them to carry out correct sanitising, plus it's unfair on other hairdressers who are taking on the costs of doing the right thing, and on the staff and customers in the salon that they are endangering.
www.hse.gov.uk/contact/concerns.htm

ShazzaKanazza Sun 23-Aug-20 20:30:03

When I went to my hairdresser the other day she said they had to wear a mask and a visor now. It’s the new guidelines.

Nan0 Sun 23-Aug-20 19:53:01

Do not report them that is verging on stasiland.write a personal private letter to the hairdresser running the salon explaining that you wont come for hair appts whilst they are not wearing Ppe

Withnail Sun 23-Aug-20 19:48:12

I wasn't sure if my hairdresser would be doing all the precautions and when she rang me to see if I wanted an appointment I expressed my nervousness at being out & about again. She offered me a first thing in the morning appointment. So what about the others following in the day I thought. I left it, I discovered my hair had stopped falling out in handfuls after 5 months of no dyeing and realised it was the dye I had been having for years there.
I am glad I didn't go back. I saw a van with a mobile hairdresser go past & rang them and set up an appointment to come to he house. She sent me a thorough explanation of her covid routine, what to expect etc and was totaly professional.
I am glad I changed hairdressers now.
I use a natural product to gently colour my hair myself and it is in meuh better condition.

Greeneyedgirl Sun 23-Aug-20 19:44:44

I do feel sympathy with you kitty as long-standing hairdressers are an important part of our lives. However our health is more important and if your hairdresser isn’t complying with regs why not tell her why you won’t be going back.
The concern about just wearing PPE on request is that Covid is spread by droplets, and it only takes one asymptomatic person to be in the salon for droplets to remain in the atmosphere.
Your hairdresser, appears to be exposing vulnerable customers to risk. Many businesses are responsible and doing their best to minimise the risk and I would go to one of those.

JonesKpj000 Sun 23-Aug-20 19:27:15

I agree with eazybee.

Joanniem Sun 23-Aug-20 17:54:18

I had the same situation in the US, so I quit going there and found a place that takes temps, sanitizes and requires masks. I am much happier.
I also told my other hairdresser, who is also the shop owner, why I was switching. I couldn’t get over her disregard for others, and I was sure if she and her staff weren’t wearing masks, they were making no other effort to keep people safe.

Nainijo Sun 23-Aug-20 17:24:22

I had a similar experience with a nail technician I use occasionally. I took my sister, who has learning difficulties, for an appointment there, she knows my sister and my sister is happy to go there normally. I explained to my sister that she would be wearing PPE , like the hairdressers she had been to the previous week, that she would have her temperature checked and a simple health questionnaire. When she came out my sister said she didn’t experience any of that, so I questioned it with nail technician. She said the same as previously mentioned, wasn’t compulsory, needless to say we are not going back there!
I have booked my sister with another beautician who does it to the letter. Also what is more disturbing, my sister was shielding during lockdown as she has health issues.

NannaGrandad Sun 23-Aug-20 16:41:49

I understand your concern and it’s now mandatory for hairdressers wear masks too but please don’t report her. It’s sneaky and may cause untold problems. After months with no income a hefty fine might be difficult to fund.
Please have a quiet word and point her to the current guidance.

Toddy Sun 23-Aug-20 16:40:31

I had my hair done for first time since Feb. New salon as we've moved. Lovely stylist, visor and mask in place but visor positioned too high and mask below nose. Every time she had to speak to colleague she pulled mask down. I think very few are wearing ppe properly so none at all is no worse in someways!

MissAdventure Sun 23-Aug-20 16:28:06

In terms of droplets, my instructions from work are to wear both a mask and visor, and my company are very up to speed with whatever the latest rules say.

Nannan2 Sun 23-Aug-20 16:22:11

Then again, they've not been clear on anything, to any of us!

Nannan2 Sun 23-Aug-20 16:19:11

In mine they wore the visors, but no mask, and i hadnt though of that, but yes if they sneeze could droplets be directed downwards?-good thought- ill ask if i go again, why they've not been told told to wear masks as well? Also no gloves, (except when colouring hair) i think she had apron, but that too could have been because of hair colour?) Hmm, i think govt have not been clear enough on advice to the hair salons.

nannypink1 Sun 23-Aug-20 15:37:08

I went to the hairdressers last week and have been putting it off as my hairdressers were only wearing the visor...I had an alert in my phone saying from 15th August it was mandatory for them to wear masks and visors and clients should wear masks too..my appt was on 18th August!!?...when I entered everything was spot on and although they didn't want to wear the masks as well they did as they said they had too...I was so pleased as I also have a fab hairdresser but doubt I would have gone back had they not done what the law requires...it's for everyone's safety