Gransnet forums

Chat

Good Morning Sunday

(47 Posts)
12Michael Sun 23-Aug-20 06:16:37

Good Morning Everyone,
Up early as usual, its looking clear and dry out there this morning here in Brackley .
Interesting day yesterday, did Buckingham and Bicester , on the buses usual routine .
Went into my cafe in Buckingham , as I seemed to become a familiar face , I did not have to say much , the coffee brought to table ordered a sarnie , felt like I was getting some preference but drank and ate paid and left .The dealer I usually get things from on the flea market again was not there mind she sells maps and old tourist guides ,and with a slight wind these would be subject to blowing away .
Take care ,
Mick

Mapleleaf Sun 23-Aug-20 09:23:23

Good morning all.

It's a grey but brighter and (for the moment), dryer South Yorkshire, but as Greyduster says, it can't make its mind up just what to do yet. It certainly feels cooler than of late.

DH and I had a lovely day yesterday for our anniversary, going to Pickering and catching a steam train to Whitby, where we had a lovely lunch. We only had a few hours in Whitby, but enough for lunch and a quick walk around. It was very busy, though, so we didn't venture too far up the streets and didn't reach the pier this time, as I still feel wary of crowds. Our masks were worn on the train and for our sojourn up the street, but it was surprising how many weren't bothering in Whitby itself - they can't all have health reasons for not wearing one, I suspect. To give the townspeople their due, there was hand sanitiser all over the place, so no excuse to not clean your hands.

I'm glad we braved it though and got out. Places are desperate for our business.

I know what you mean about the parsley not growing this year, Marydoll. Mine made a mean attempt at producing leaves early on in the season but these came to nothing and it died back. I think I'll have to try again with fresh seeds. I hope you have a nice relaxing day, and as other posters say, take it easy today.

I do hope that the hospital can soon sort out your son, Grandmattie and get him fit and well again very soon.

Take care everyone ?.

MellowYellow Sun 23-Aug-20 09:25:54

Morning everyone from an overcast south Cornwall. Lovely breeze on my patio where a robin is sharing my breakfast. Mick I'm not surprised your map seller wasn't there, and I was amazed to find my favourite book stall trading yesterday in spite of the rain. She just kept moving the books back into the stall whenever the clouds threatened. Bought two lovely art books.

Today a trip to the allotment which I'm gradually turning into a herb and fruit garden as for the next two years my hips will prevent me from doing heavier work. Have ordered four fruit trees to arrive in November. My son will be digging the holes for those!

Thinking of, and feeling for, all those with worries and ailments. Have a good day where possible.

Pittcity Sun 23-Aug-20 09:37:28

Good morning from sunny Colchester. Breezy and warm again.
Family coming for a roast beef dinner and leaving 2 dgs here for the week. We need to plan and book some outings as we're not counting on good weather.

Gelisajams Sun 23-Aug-20 09:48:04

A very late good morning from a cloudy calm Morecambe Bay from where I have just returned from a fairly long walk. I got into walking each morning earlier this year with the lockdown but as things relaxed we got out of the habit. There’s something special about being out early and I must get back into it.
A bit of exercise then zoom church.
Perhaps go for a ride out in the camper later so we can brew up.
Take it easy Marydoll your body is telling you rest!
Everyone else take care and stay safe as well?

mancgirl Sun 23-Aug-20 09:56:10

Good morning from an overcast Manchester. Collection from M&S later. Always ordering, collecting and returning due to not trying on. Not that I did anyway! Family have been discussing spending Christmas in Spain this year. All quietly excited but obviously need to get the all clear to do so. Wonder if it will happen? Not very hopeful but the family WhatsApp chat has everyone messaging like mad ?. Also booked to go to York in November for a few days with 2 girlfriends on the condition all can be cancelled if need be. Will we ever book anything with confidence? Few chores, not much else today. Marydoll feet up and if you want to watch some addictive but utter trash TV, Selling Sunset is the one! Have a good day everyone. flowersfor those with worries or cares.

EllanVannin Sun 23-Aug-20 10:13:24

Good Morning All x
Dull skies and a bit blowy---not a bit like summer ! Even the old stray Tom has resorted to his kennel so he must be feeling the change in the weather. All 4 cats fed and peanuts on the lawn for the cheeky squirrel. I do a days work before I sort myself out with these animals grin

Pastry for mince and mincemeat tart made yesterday and fridged ready to just roll out later, with mince having been cooked, so that'll be me sorted nicely. Only potatoes and carrots to wash and scrape. It'll do me tomorrow as well----I never mind having the same meal twice on a Sunday and Monday.

Tossed and turned a bit last night because I sat and watched a film until midnight. I'm usually well in the land of nod by that time, but it was so funny. A film based on the " antics " of the late Cynthia Payne ! The end bit tickled me when she was in court up against the judge grin a customer.

Hope the weather was kind to D and the children in Durham yesterday. They return home today probably about 9pm so they'll all be tired. Also hoping they get to see the cathedral today as it's beautiful inside. Last time there was a service taking place so they didn't go inside.

Hope the hospital can shed some light on what ails your DS GrandMattie. There's nothing more annoying than not knowing what the problem is. That said, it's a good sign if he's hungry as food is a good healer for the body, but he doesn't want to be feeling like that again.

Ease up Marydoll you're not as young as you were grin We have a habit of forgetting if we get a day when we feel " okay " and tend to overdo things. It's been quite hectic for you of late and these things have a habit of catching up with you.

Sunday is a day of rest folks so do your best. Enjoy the day whatever you do and stay safe.

Pantglas, if your tea is as strong as mine, I have to use bleach in my cup now and again to remove the tannin grin They should make mini toilet brushes especially for cups, though it sounds as though the standard one is more suitable for yours !

Take care everyone xx Enjoy your day.

Kalu Sun 23-Aug-20 10:21:29

Good morning all from a calmer but grey day so far, in Glasgow. I did like your description of Glasgow being cool ? Marydoll. Sorry to hear your angina is giving you concern and I hope a restful day helps to calm things.

Yesterday’s weather turned out better than expected, breezy sunshine which meant DD 1 and the girls arrived and we had three hours together. Boy, can those two talk interjected with, I was talking first, stop interrupting me, well, hurry up, you take too long.? but what a breath of fresh air just having them here.

I noticed a couple of cushions in the garden room had been chewed a bit and assumed the cat had taken a mouse in and we had locked it in. Not so, I caught the fox sauntering in which solved the mystery which I don’t mind but, do you have to chew the cushions? Cat isn’t happy her favourite snoozing place is permanently closed. ?

No plans for today so I will just take whatever comes to mind to pass the day.

Have a good Sunday everyone and best wishes to those who are struggling with worries and illness.

gillybob Sun 23-Aug-20 10:23:30

A late good morning from the NE coast where we have another Autumn day . Grey and miserable with rain forecast for later . Well there’s a surprise !

Had a bit of a accident yesterday as I went to put the keys in my front door my right leg gave way (which it sometimes does) and I ended up head butting the wall . I literally saw stars and felt that awful “wah wah” feeling before you pass out . Thankfully I didn’t and managed to make it indoors where I sat on the stairs with a packet of frozen veg held on the “egg” on my head.
It was very sore over night but feeling a lot better today . Trust me !

DH’s response was “why on earth would anyone head butt a wall?” hmm

My sister rang while I was sitting on the stairs to remind me that I have to take dad to a blood test appointment on Monday morning and I felt like telling her to “go away” grrrrrrrr. It’s as though everything concerning dad is my problem.

I am sorry to gear that your DS is still in hospital grandMattie and I hope someone is allowed to visit him with food . Being hungry will certainly hamper his recovery .

Happy Anniversary Mr and Mrs Mapleleaf I’m glad you had a lovely day trip to Pickering and Whitby . smile

Thinking of our missing friends and those feeling poorly too. Take care Marydoll you have to remind yourself you are not Superwoman and need to take it easy sometimes.

I always have that back to school tomorrow kind of feeling on a Sunday and spend the day counting the hours down instead of making the most of the day , which is stupid I know .

I hope everyone has the best Sunday possible .

Love Gillybob xx

Bella51 Sun 23-Aug-20 10:30:50

Good morning from a very very wet Co. Fermanagh. No let up in the rain so far and forecast is for more of the same!!!

Nortsat Sun 23-Aug-20 10:32:47

Good morning Mick and the GM team, from an overcast east London.

I have had an unsatisfactory start to my Sunday. I seem to have lost a set of house keys. They are the spare set on a small key ring and we often take them if we are just popping out quickly. On Tuesday I went for a walk and took them with me - now they are nowhere to be found.

I don’t know if I dropped them or have put them somewhere stupid in the house. I didn’t use them to open the front door because my partner opened it for me. So I have searched and thought and I just don’t know what I have done with them. If they don’t turn up, we will have to change the locks ... what an utter nuisance.

I have put pork on to slow cook for supper. We have some nice strawberries and a tub of Hagen Dasz for pudding ...

Hope you have a better day Marydoll, good wishes to Dragonfly and Bluesapphire, have a good day all. ? And will someone please ask St Anthony to help me find my keys ... because I have tried, but he didn’t hear me ...

Grandmafrench Sun 23-Aug-20 10:36:10

Good Morning everyone from a hot, blue and very windy S of France.

Woke up actually smiling - imagine that! Had a wonderful Tom Walker song in my head and I'd been inspecting my newly refurbished grocers and deli (in my crazy dream) where everything from the glossy painted shop door, to the cobbles, to the shiny tins of tea and cheeses and cold meats all looked so inviting I couldn't wait to start working there!

Got up and happy face quickly disappeared as I was greeted by two very excited dogs. They were presumably hoping I wouldn't notice that one of them had been sick on their couch! Oh Joy! No one willing to 'fess up to the crime.... so, cushions outside, the throw, covers etc., all into machine. Dry now and about to be ironed and replaced (thank the lord for the hot wind), but not quite the peaceful Sunday start I was hoping for.

Sorry to hear that there's a bit of a hiccup in sending your DS back home safely, GrandMattie - still, better safe than sorry. He is at least in the best place for tests and results. Hopefully another couple of days and your minds will be at rest again.

Good idea to get all your long-overdue appointments dealt with, Susan. Best to get it all behind you now....just in case!

Just before I looked at your post Cherry I was joking with my DH who had informed me that the cat probably wanted a cwtch! What are you talking about, I said? Bet you can't spell even spell that. (He couldn't). My Mum always said to me "Cwtch down now" when she tucked me in at night as a child. I recently wondered if there's a link there - she was using it with a meaning more like "couche" (French) - so maybe there's been a Gallic mix of words over the years.

I do envy all the Grans doing lunch for drive-by family visitors. I do envy those going away for a break. I'd definitely be happy preparing lunch or supper for some of my family now. Ah well - more patience needed there. Have a great time all together, today, and make it count.

Mary has goodness triumphed over being norty today? What a surprise. Do stick with the Sunday papers and feet up and hopefully you'll feel so much better tomorrow. Glad Mr Grammaretto and family had a wonderful day yesterday. A great day in the garden to lift the spirits - maybe a rest needed today?

If you're having no sunshine, hope that it will soon be back. It's really a bit early for Autumnal feeling in the air, although I noticed a good few years ago that by the time the children are going back to school, there's often a definite change in the seasons, and in the heat and the light.

To anyone down in the dumps or in pain, hope that things are better today. If you've worries, try hard to take a day off and build up your reserves again. We all need a day off - especially from stuff that we really don't need or deserve.

Stay safe - most important - and let's hope that we can all kick the backside of this virus, and soon.

Hugs

Grandmafrench Sun 23-Aug-20 10:47:28

OMG gilly, I felt that! Please take the time out to feel better and try not to do too much, especially if you've hit your head. If your blankety blank Sister chooses to take on the role of your D Dad's Secretary, could she not manage - just for once in her life - to take him for the appointment she is reminding you about? What goes through people's heads? And, I bet you never said a word about your accident or needing some assistance......

Please take care, for yourself, and not just because the rest of the world claims it can't get by without you !

Nortsat Sun 23-Aug-20 10:51:24

Keys ... I found the missing keys ... they were in my jacket pocket. St Anthony must have heard me ... ? hurrah...

Legs55 Sun 23-Aug-20 11:01:41

Morning all, grey & windy here in Devon. I'm going to try & ring the Hospital where DM is earlier today to see if I can get through, took my over an hour yesterday & Friday. I can't get a straight answer as to what they are treating her for. She was taken into Hospital 4 weeks ago, first Hospital, 4 different wards ending up on Acute Stroke Ward, then transfer to Rehabilitation Ward, sent back to 1st Hospital last Tuesday, now on her 3rd Ward (Endocrinology/Diabetes). She's 91, fiercely independent & living in her ow home with no Carershmm.

I live 300 miles away as does DD, not that it makes any difference as there are no visitors allowed into the Hospitals in Blackburn & Pendle, just have to rely on phone calls. Some staff are more forthcoming than others.

I am planning having a quiet, relaxing Sunday if at all possible. Bed changed, washing in, newspapers spread out on my table, crosswords & sudoku to tackle.

Oh now it's started to rain, confined to barracks, no chance of doing any gardening unless by some miracle the sun shines laterhmm

Urmstongran Sun 23-Aug-20 11:04:11

Sun’s up here! ?
A later good morning everyone from Malaga ?

I slept in till 9:30am! Unheard of. Now it’s noon and we’re still just sat on the balcony enjoying our coffee and ginger nuts (so glad the SuperSol sell them!).

Last night with my neighbour was really nice. We chatted away and she was telling me her son has been looking into shared accommodation flats for her. Seems a good idea at 85y and saves her using all her capital. Apparently (and she said this bit seems too good to be true) over the age of 80y you don’t pay rent on the percentage of the property you don’t buy. She’s going to ask her daughter to check it out further.

We can’t decide whether to go down into the gardens (it’s hazy) or go out for a stroll and a late Sunday lunch somewhere. Decisions, decisions! It’s lovely to be able to have a choice.

aggie what a nice surprise to have those agapanthus flower because you didn’t dig them up! Serendipity.

Hope Sunday is kind to us all. Rest up Marydoll I hope your angina settles. Keep safe everyone that’s the main thing. x

Gwenisgreat1 Sun 23-Aug-20 11:19:12

Good Morning all from a grey Harrogate. Not much doing today - unless you know better!! maybe baking, maybe a visit from DD2 and Gs. Otherwise I shall be up in the attic sorting the thousands of photographs. I have this dream of clearing the attic so I can get my oil paints out. Dream on!
Hope all who are ailing will feel a lot better soon.

hulahoop Sun 23-Aug-20 11:22:01

Having posted for ages but have been reading posts it's what I call a nondescript day here in West Yorkshire . We are in partial lockdown so no visitors so probably just a local walk for us again but we need to do what we have to . Keep safe everyone ?

Malonegirl Sun 23-Aug-20 11:44:06

A very late goodmorning to everyone.It is very cloudy but some sunny intervals here in Plymouth.
Tomorrow and Tuesday look awful, lots of rain and very windy.
Stopping today ,had a busy day yesterday. Went to Buckfastleigh
railway station . Husband likes the model shop there.
They are not running the steam trains but there are nice walks around the area. We went for a walk by the River Dart and had a cup of tea at the little kiosk in their carpark.
They also had the miniture railway running. Great to see the children enjoying the rides on it. Thought of my grandchild who lives in Russia, he would love it. I hope the family can come over soon.
Hope everyone has a peaceful day. Take care?

GrannyGravy13 Sun 23-Aug-20 12:15:37

Good morning Mick and all

Grey and beeezy here in S E Essex, the sun is trying to poke through the clouds ??

Woke up at 3am with the beginning of a migraine, took my medication, which upset my stomach, not a good start!!!! Having a lazy day and hopefully (head permitting) we are off to local restaurant for a late Sunday lunch.

Oh dear gillybob your luck must change for the better soon.

Keep safe and well folks ?

glammagran Sun 23-Aug-20 14:21:35

*QuaintIrene” my son bought me some melatonin tablets in the U.S. but I have to say they did nothing for me unfortunately.

Mapleleaf Sun 23-Aug-20 16:50:30

Oh gilly, I hope you are feeling alright. Knocks to the head need keeping an eye on. Make sure you feel 100% before driving your Dad to his appointment - I would say you have a very good reason for delegating that job to your "busy" sister, under the circumstances. Do take care. ?
Thank you for your kind wishes, and yes, the day was lovely. ?