Gransnet forums

Chat

Don't read if you don't want to hear the C word !

(84 Posts)
queengran Fri 28-Aug-20 09:44:04

Was reading the other thread about Christmas and although I know lots of people don't want to start thinking about it yet- and that's fine grin, that's no reason for the few of us who might want to talk about it or start planning, to have a conversation. So if the thought of talking about Christmas at this time make you feel ill, please just move on and don't comment or make us feel guilty about it. blush

Personally, I'm starting to look for gifts for my grandkids now. I would usually have had them over the summer and treated them and seeing as that didn't happen I've got a bit extra to spend on them come Christmas. Two boys, 7 and 9 and a little girl 2.5 in case anyone has any good ideas?
It's been a really rough year and Christmas is always one of my favourite times of the year. I see nothing wrong with a bit of planning and expectation - I don't focus exclusively on it from now till December obviously! But I like to start lists and start planning so I can just sit back and enjoy from the end of November. Surely I can't be the only forward planner! grin

Oldwoman70 Mon 31-Aug-20 08:47:34

For me it is too early to be thinking about Christmas but I have a family member who is already posting ideas for decorations on her Facebook page! So for those of you who are already planning - have fun and ignore anyone who tries to dampen your enthusiasm.

Witzend Mon 31-Aug-20 08:38:33

Later this week I shall be making several jars of Delia’s delish mincemeat. We always get through a lot, though I never make any m-pies until 1st December (with first carols playing) - any earlier would be a even more lethal for the waistlines.

Though it occurred to me recently that starting both on Advent Sunday (29th Nov this year if my calendar’s correct) would not really be breaking my own rule.

Susan56 Mon 31-Aug-20 08:14:12

I have bought quite a lot of Christmas presents already.There have been some good sales on over lockdown.

Last year DH and I were very ill and didn’t see any family until the end of January.I hope that this Christmas we are able to see them but if a further lockdown means we can’t,we will still send or drop off their presents to them.

Maggiemaybe Mon 31-Aug-20 07:51:36

I nearly came to grief yesterday though looking for Christmas present bargains. I was just about to buy some very pretty Cath Kidston diaries, reduced from £18 to £4, when I noticed the date on the front. 2020. grin

pamdixon Sun 30-Aug-20 19:43:21

there's loads of good sales on at the moment, so good time to start thinking of C shopping I'd say if you are that way inclined (and organised)!!

Traceyac Sun 30-Aug-20 02:39:52

funnily enough we (my family) have mentioned the C word this weekend ???? being the bank holiday and not having seen each other since feb its our 1st get together.
Have started the planning lots of us ???

Dancinggran Sun 30-Aug-20 00:33:51

Not really thought about it yet but now tend to do 'making memories' presents. There have been trips to see 'Dinosaurs in the Wild', a theatre trip to see Dr. Dolittle, a ski taster lesson and a trip to a new local climbing centre with various grandchildren. Not sure what it will be this year..... depends what happens I suppose. I'm fortunate that I live close to all my grandchildren and have always seen them regularly

Lizbethann55 Sat 29-Aug-20 23:58:18

If you are looking for ideas for the little one, may I suggest Happyland? It is brilliant. My GC love it. I have lots of it here, including a huge box of it that I bought second hand

Lilypops Sat 29-Aug-20 23:37:02

I mentioned on a recent thread that on This Morning on Tuesday I think Eamonn and Ruth had Christmas trees and decorations that are being advertised for sale in John Lewis,
They actually had the studio all decorated complete with a Christmas tree,
When it came to testing which mince pie came out best , I had to turn off, It,s August, it,s too early IMO ,

cookiemonster66 Sat 29-Aug-20 23:25:00

Finished my xmas shopping already.... just saying! LOL!

Joesoap Sat 29-Aug-20 21:52:22

I too thought the C word was Covid, what a relief it wasnt.

Musicgirl Sat 29-Aug-20 21:13:39

My own family is grown up and I have no prospects of being a grandmother but I also have friends and family in a similar position and some elderly relatives. I am making hampers for most people. We all have so many things that l feel consumables are far more welcome. I bought baskets very cheaply in the sales or charity shops pre-the other c word. I am buying items for them every so often. It is cheaper this way and, as l work, it makes the time management easier.

clareken Sat 29-Aug-20 20:46:16

I put money on a couple of supermarkets Christmas savings cards, and on a local butcher as well. I also save with Park Hampers (not the hampers though, as Ioften think thatthey aren'tworth what you pay for them). Therefore when November arrives I have the wherewithal to buy what we want. I also buy little bits online throughout the year, especially to decorate my office and working area. (I might post some pictures if I remember!)

aonk Sat 29-Aug-20 20:01:17

I wouldn’t dream of saying bah or humbug! I enjoy Christmas but only in a fairly laid back way. I’m hoping it will be possible to see some family members and exchange gifts but I don’t understand why it all has to go on for so long before and afterwards. I don’t suppose we’ll get to go to church on Christmas Eve with our grandchildren this year which I always love because it always gets so crowded. As for presents and food I start buying in November having put some money aside in advance. We only eat Christmas food on the 2 days so I have very little shopping to do.

2mason16 Sat 29-Aug-20 19:13:33

I just started today buying for Gc's in Oz. The Tu range sale is perfect for their summer at C'mas. Oh dear though it wouldn't take my password and I gave up! I will try again tmoro and hopefully my carefully bought items won't have dissapeard!

Spangler Sat 29-Aug-20 19:03:03

Christmas? What's that then? It's only since my wife retired that we have spent Christmas together. She worked for The NHS, she had one Christmas off in thirty years.

Each Christmas since retirement we have dined out, always with friends. Hopefully we will be able to do so again this year.

Legs55 Sat 29-Aug-20 17:56:12

I am fortunate in having a small family, DD & her OH, 2 DGSs & DM. I usually travel to Yorkshire to see DM in November & take a small gift for her to open on Christmas Day, I take her shopping to choose a gift. This year I don't know what will happen as she is in Hospital at the moment, she's 91 so doesn't really want anything although she does like fruits in licquers or Stem Ginger.

DD & her OH is cash plus their favourite chocolates. My neighbour is usually something for the garden.

My DGSs are 10 & 3, I already have 3 books for DGS2, 2 chosen when I was shopping with DD, they love Julia Donaldson's books & we found 2 new ones. I will find a couple of books for DGS1. I do a stocking for each of them. I always ask DD for ideas, DGS1 will probably want money to buy something for his Martial Arts classes.

I think I have enough cards, except special ones & wrapping paper.

I normally start my shopping in earnest in September after DD's Birthday in Septembersmile

Billybob4491 Sat 29-Aug-20 17:55:27

Just finished knitting 6 Christmas stockings which I shall fill with small toys and sweet for nephews and nieces.. Halfway knitting through a Nativity scene, thought I would knit a camel this year instead of the usual Donkey, that will be a talking point within the family!

Alioop Sat 29-Aug-20 17:48:08

My friend and I chatted through the week about the crowds and queues ahead near Xmas for shopping as I like to use the High Street shops. So this morning I I headed out just as the shops were opening, nipped in quick and bought all the pyjamas I need for presents, so sorry I've started. It was lovely and quiet, not busy at all and back home for 10.30am! I'll do this every so often now as I really don't relish the queues, crowds, etc nearer to the big day. Not a fan of Xmas, as I miss family so much, but gifts have to be got for the ones I'm lucky still to have. I'm sorry for anyone who dislikes Xmas and finds it a hard time to get through.x

Jaye53 Sat 29-Aug-20 17:45:33

All this talk of Christmas has made me feel quite ill hmm

jocork Sat 29-Aug-20 17:24:03

I'm usually a last minute buyer at Christmas and this year it's even harder to plan as none of us know if we'll be able to travel to visit family or not thi year. I hope I won't be spending it alone but it will be what it will be.

Meanwhile I make handmade Christmas decorations. The original plan was to sell for charity, but so far most have been given away as gifts. They take about 2 hours each to make so I tend to make all year round when I have the time as the beading can be done anywhere while chatting to friends.

songstress60 Sat 29-Aug-20 17:01:05

Not my favourite time of year. I was burgled last year, plus in 2013 my father died 22 December, so it has bad memories for me. I do my Christmas shopping in summer to get it out of the way, because it's soon upon us.

H1954 Sat 29-Aug-20 15:18:09

The only people we buy for are the grandchildren who are under 18; we always ask their parents what the children would like rather than buying stuff they probably already have or don't like. Never buy for our siblings so the shopping list or gifts is easy to manage. We're not big on having guests for Christmas Day dinner and after being well and truly taken for a mug last December there won't be a pre-Christmas party for extended family either.

Happysexagenarian Sat 29-Aug-20 15:12:58

I started thinking about Christmas this week. I had hoped to have all the family come to stay this year, but I don't think its going to happen. I've started making a handmade stocking for our youngest GC, but I think I will be buying most gifts online (same as last year) and having them delivered directly to the recipients. But I miss wrapping presents and making personalised tags for them.

Earlier this week I went to buy birthday cards from my favourite card shop, and partly because of the need to wear a mask and the lack of distancing, I couldn't get out of there quick enough! I usually buy all my Christmas cards there but the thought of selecting over 60 cards when the shop is likely to be very busy rather worries me. I know there are e-cards and online sites like Moonpig (very expensive) but a number of our friends don't use the internet, and for friends and family that we don't actually see/meet through the year I much prefer to send a 'proper' card. Cards are expensive and postage is ridiculous but I still like the personal touch.

kwest Sat 29-Aug-20 14:45:35

Let us hope we all stay safe and well. Anything beyond that is a bonus to my way of thinking. I would love to have my family here for our traditional Christmas celebration, not always on the day itself for various work factors, but that just means we get to celebrate twice. If it is not safe at that time I will just have to accept it. Knowing the people I love most in the world are safe and taking care of their individual families is the most important thing to me.