Gransnet forums

Chat

Don't read if you don't want to hear the C word !

(83 Posts)
queengran Fri 28-Aug-20 09:44:04

Was reading the other thread about Christmas and although I know lots of people don't want to start thinking about it yet- and that's fine grin, that's no reason for the few of us who might want to talk about it or start planning, to have a conversation. So if the thought of talking about Christmas at this time make you feel ill, please just move on and don't comment or make us feel guilty about it. blush

Personally, I'm starting to look for gifts for my grandkids now. I would usually have had them over the summer and treated them and seeing as that didn't happen I've got a bit extra to spend on them come Christmas. Two boys, 7 and 9 and a little girl 2.5 in case anyone has any good ideas?
It's been a really rough year and Christmas is always one of my favourite times of the year. I see nothing wrong with a bit of planning and expectation - I don't focus exclusively on it from now till December obviously! But I like to start lists and start planning so I can just sit back and enjoy from the end of November. Surely I can't be the only forward planner! grin

Witzend Fri 28-Aug-20 09:59:31

Oh, dear, @queengran, I’m afraid you’re bound to get a few of the bah humbug brigade having a go. Even when there’s a dedicated C-word thread they can’t seem to help themselves.

No, you’re not the only forward planner - far from it, I’m sure.
I’ve been knitting C-word things since the beginning of lockdown! Mostly to donate to Gdcs’ school C-word fairs, which I dare say won’t happen now, so I’ll probably be giving them away.

I was sewing up a big fat Father Christmas just yesterday - still not finished but here he is with his finished twin.

Nortsat Fri 28-Aug-20 10:03:07

Witz they are so cute, I love their beards ...

Lucca Fri 28-Aug-20 10:05:42

Second thread today about Christmas. Why be coy and say c word ?
May I just put in a plea( which is why I clicked on the thread) not to call people the bah humbug brigade if they don’t relish Christmas ? Many, like me, have had family issues which make it a difficult time for them, spare a thought

vegansrock Fri 28-Aug-20 10:12:21

The best thing with kids that age is ask the parents as you don’t want to duplicate stuff they already have.

grumppa Fri 28-Aug-20 10:15:37

Thought you meant Covid. What a relief!

Grandmabatty Fri 28-Aug-20 10:22:07

We have always been big Christmas preparations early as a family. Mostly because I was a single parent, working full time on a limited income. Me and dd are planning to shop today and start to pick up stuff and this is late in the year for us! ☺ I have a friend who starts in the January sales. I wish I was that well off and organised.

Witzend Fri 28-Aug-20 10:25:27

@Lucca, I used that term only because it’s been used on here more than once, including to me, by people who’ve posted on a thread only to complain about it.

Of course I do feel very much for anyone who dislikes the whole thing because it holds unhappy memories. I’m sorry if my own post has caused you any distress. But at the same time I don’t quite understand why anyone who’s going to find such a thread upsetting, doesn’t simply avoid clicking on it.

TerriBull Fri 28-Aug-20 10:28:21

Heavens when I saw the "c" word I thought it related to something else shock

Thank heavens only Christmas yet again1 At the best of times I hate thinking about it in the summer and this year can't help thinking it may well be cancelled may not meet the expectations of those who are inclined to invest such a lot in what amounts to one or two days hmm

vampirequeen Fri 28-Aug-20 10:29:04

I love Christmas and plan for it most of the year. That way I don't have the horrible spend spend spend, panic panic panic, time like a lot of people do. In fact one of my favourite things to do on the run up to Christmas is to sit in Costa (or another café with view of the street) and watch people rushing about and panic buying whilst feeling very smug grin. I've always has to spread it out so that I can afford it. We don't go mad but we don't have much money to start with. I'd hate to be in debt in January for it.

Lucca Fri 28-Aug-20 10:29:48

I explained why in my post !! Here :
“May I just put in a plea( which is why I clicked on the thread) not to call people the bah humbug brigade if they don’t relish Christmas “

BlueSky Fri 28-Aug-20 10:31:55

Usually yes I love Christmas and all that goes with it but this year no, just can't bring myself to even contemplate it. This Covid has put a final nail in the coffin for most things.

Lucca Fri 28-Aug-20 10:32:10

That post was for Witzend

Oopsminty Fri 28-Aug-20 10:32:34

I just adore your knitted Christmas characters, Witzend! If you ever decide to knit and sell let me know!

I have no problem with anyone discussing Christmas at any time of the year

Many people can't wait until December to start thinking about Christmas, be it for financial reasons or just a sheer love of the time of year

I also appreciate that for many, as Lucca mentioned, it's not the happiest of times.

My eldest daughter buys stuff in the January sales as well, Grandmabatty!

If I tried that I'd end up putting stuff in a safe place which basically means never to be seen again

queengran Fri 28-Aug-20 11:54:59

Those are beautiful Witzend! You could make a business out of making those if the fair doesn't happen. I know there's a chance Christmas may be different or limited this year (and Lucca I am sorry this is not the best time of year for you and wish you well) but I'm going to focus on the positive for now. I've got the grandkids on Tuesday and I'm planning on doing some crafting with them - the younger boy is particularly arty. Might be a few reindeers in amongst the melee. grin

glammanana Fri 28-Aug-20 12:12:54

queengran Now my GCs are grown up they are not a problem thinking of what to get them as presents for Christmas as they are more than happy with a Money gift bag,my 2 x GGCs aged 4 and 2 years are the focus now and I have been buing for them over the lockdown period online and have now got all I need for them.
They both love crafting and I have bought a crafting table for them with 2 x huge boxes of crafting materials this will keep them engrossed all over the winter months when they are indoors in the cold weather.

TwiceAsNice Fri 28-Aug-20 12:42:09

We love Christmas as a family ( despite having an upsetting anniversary the week before, long time ago now we manage better than we did ) My youngest daughter is particularly joyous about it and very generous. I started buying presents as I saw them several months ago ( shopping on line passed the time in lockdown) and will continue to do so as I can’t afford to do it all at once. I do try and hide where I remember !

GrandmaKT Fri 28-Aug-20 13:11:20

It will be interesting to see which way Christmas goes this year.

Will it be an all-out celebratory splurge as a reaction to the awful year we've had (presuming we're not all back in lockdown that is!)

Or, will people be a little more thoughtful about what they buy. The lockdown has taught me how little we really need and, while I am not one to go totally overboard at Christmas anyway, I think now I am even less inclined to rush out and buy loads of tat than nobody wants or needs!

Maggiemaybe Fri 28-Aug-20 13:49:33

I love Christmas, but don’t usually start planning with a vengeance till we’ve got Bonfire Night over with. We do a Secret Santa now for most of the adults and I go with whatever parents suggest for our six grandsons, so it’s a lot easier than it used to be. Coincidentally though I’ve just bought my first cards. I wanted some Back to School ones I’d seen online and had to make the order up to £30 to get free postage. So yes, I’ve made a start. smile

I’m just hoping we can have something approaching a normal family Christmas this year. Fingers crossed.

AGAA4 Fri 28-Aug-20 16:01:02

In these times it is good that people have something pleasant to focus on. Once we get to September, Christmas seems to hurtle towards us very fast I find.

Bobdoesit Sat 29-Aug-20 09:40:13

Bah humbug. A painful time for some people and even more so this year. Having said that I don't begrudge anyone enjoying themselves, just please remember it's not the same for all.

crazygranny Sat 29-Aug-20 09:49:08

Fantastic work! You are so talented!!

patricia1958 Sat 29-Aug-20 09:51:24

Im on gov high priority and was looking so much to the 1st August so my 2 grandsons could stay over but Boris put my area in lockdown again. I had to do something to keep my mind active so started looking on line for Xmas presents for my wonderful 2 grandsons and I did more than look I have bought them 6 each only little things but I've started and it's only August

Bazza Sat 29-Aug-20 09:53:23

Not my favourite time of year TBH, but this year because we had a big family holiday to Portugal cancelled, we have booked a large house to rent on the Isle of Wight for 4 days over the Christmas period. There are ten of us and I generally cook Christmas dinner because I have the most room. At least this way it won’t all fall on my shoulders, even though I have plenty of help. We will (hopefully) book a delivery slot for the food. It’s expensive but we will spend less on presents. Hope it’s a success!

timetogo2016 Sat 29-Aug-20 09:54:03

Oh that C word,thank goodness.