Gransnet forums

Chat

Sewing on name-tapes

(51 Posts)
watermeadow Sun 30-Aug-20 13:54:49

I’ve spent the whole morning at this horrible job. Grandson’s uniform cost about £500 and the name-tapes are available only from the official supplier at £1 each. They are HUGE. Grandson’s name is quite short but double-barrelling is popular so Olivia- Mae Thingummy- Whatsit’s name would run up her sports socks from heel to thigh.
This is our local comprehensive school, an academy so they make up their own daft rules.
I wonder how Olivia-Mae’s mum, who’s never sewn on a button in her life, is managing this fiddly job?

Gwenisgreat1 Mon 31-Aug-20 10:35:20

Oopsminty exactly what I did. Mind you I still had all the brownie and guide badges to sew on.

Oopsminty Mon 31-Aug-20 10:36:43

Gwenisgreat1

Oopsminty exactly what I did. Mind you I still had all the brownie and guide badges to sew on.

Ah yes!

My wonderful husband did those smile

I do think that maybe it's genetic.

The sight of a sewing needle seems to cause us all great alarm.

annodomini Mon 31-Aug-20 10:58:56

I bought iron-on name tapes for two of my GSs. The younger one had no objection - probably didn't even notice them. His brother has a 'phobia' about stickers! Yes - stickers! and wouldn't have these name tapes on his clothes. Now he's a teenager I don't know if he still feels this way, but perhaps he's able to sew on his own woven tapes - hmm
I also had the bright idea for scout/cub badges of getting badge glue, but sadly it didn't survive more than a few washes.

Alishka Mon 31-Aug-20 11:22:04

geekesse

I went to boarding school. Three words still make me want to cry, half a century later: ‘Cash’s name tapes”.

Oh yes! grin

watermeadow Thu 03-Sep-20 06:28:58

As stated, these name tapes MUST be ordered from the school. They’re huge and MUST be sewn on the outside of all sports kit.
The academy police make their own rules to maximise profit so no Cash’s nametapes, no stick on, no pens.
Whoever thinks Olivia-Mae has a nanny is very very out of date.

Witzend Thu 03-Sep-20 08:02:04

Sounds like a blatant school rip-off to me, @watermeadow.

Having said that, at my dds’ senior school, their games kit sweatshirts had to be not only named on the inside, but also embroidered on the front with their initials - it was to prevent ‘borrowing’.
I could see the sense in it, but....
I can’t help wondering how many of today’s parents (or their older children) would have the first clue about doing their initials in chain stitch!

Esspee Thu 03-Sep-20 08:07:57

This academy is presumably in the public sector. The government should clamp down on expensive uniforms and nonsense like specific name tapes. It is perfectly OK for identifying names on all school items but the cost of outfitting a child should be affordable.

LullyDully Thu 03-Sep-20 08:15:49

I wonder what they would do if you just ordered name tapes so easy to do on line. ( I avoid Amazon )

I am "chief family sewer on of name tapes".
I keep a stock and recycle as necessary. Grandson is off to a new boarding school this term so the job was longer. I ran out of ones with his name on. Luckily my granddaughter's labels came in handy as the last letter of her first name is the first letter of his, so I did some judicious folding. All done.
She has nothing new, so no work there. Even her school shoes look ok. At 15 she has stopped growing finally.

Nandalot Thu 03-Sep-20 08:40:45

When I started secondary school, my mother got me to sew in all my name tapes. Unfortunately, I have very long first and surname and when she went to the shop to order them she had forgotten her reading glasses so the font she chose was enormous. My name tapes were about three inches long so a lot of sewing!
When DG twins started school, I began by sewing all the names in along all sides. Then it went to sewing just the ends. This year, daughter just wrote on the labels with indelible pen. Lots of the supermarket brand uniform labels have an extra big label with Name and Class printed on!

grannysyb Thu 03-Sep-20 08:43:08

I would moan to school governors and head about having to buy these name tapes . The expectation that everyone can afford stuff like this is outrageous. My brother went to public school and his shirts had separate collars, sewing name tapes into them was a nightmare!

Auntieflo Thu 03-Sep-20 08:50:30

ExD and Callistemon, I thought I was the only one to do that with names either end of the surname. DD thought it very mean of me, but, like lots of others , we were a bit hard up, and every penny counted.

Those Cash's name tapes were very long lasting! I think I still have a couple still lurking in my sewing bits . DS1 and DD are now 57 and 54 !!

Chewbacca Thu 03-Sep-20 08:52:36

DGD's school suggested that the name tapes be sewn (or ironed) in a hidden place, like half way up the inside of a sleeve or half way down the inside of the jumper, because sometimes items of uniforms were stolen and the name tags cut out.

Missfoodlove Thu 03-Sep-20 08:57:51

When my youngest was away at boarding school we got sick of his sports kit going missing despite a cash’s name tape in everything.
Eventually I purchased extra large tapes with his name and number and sewed one on the bottom front of each piece of kit.
We turnEd up at school be weeken

Missfoodlove Thu 03-Sep-20 09:00:18

Woops!!!!

to watch him play cricket, we bumped into a black friend of his wearing his cricket jumper!!!
My husband gave him a hug and said how are you son.
He quickly removed the jumper and fled!!

Bathsheba Thu 03-Sep-20 09:00:49

If that school is in the public sector I would be making a huge stink about that particular demand. How dare they inflict such unnecessary expense on parents? Utterly appalling. I feel quite angry on your behalf angry

Cabbie21 Thu 03-Sep-20 09:06:24

I have only two to sew this year. Neither grandchild has grown, and with only a few months’ wear, their clothes are not torn or need replacing. Just one new skirt and an extra blazer to facilitate more frequent washing.
Brother and sister share the same initial of their first name, so name tapes are valid for either child.

JackyB Thu 03-Sep-20 09:34:10

Can you wash blazers? What on earth are they made of these days?

When I went to school, they were like thick felt (Serge?) and could probably only be dry cleaned, if we had ever thought it necessary.

Froglady Thu 03-Sep-20 09:38:09

When my mum ordered name tags for my two sisters and me she was very crafty and she ordered ones that read my elder sister's first name and then the surname and the next sister's first name. She then just tucked in whichever first name was not needed. When it came to my turn, I just had the surname bit! Money was very tight when I was growing up and this was a brilliant of saving a lot of money.

Marydoll Thu 03-Sep-20 09:38:40

You can now get washable polyester blazers as well as serge ones.

When I was teaching, I used to dread lunch duty with the wee ones. They would inevitably spill yoghurt over their new wool blazers.
It was a devil to clean it off.
I'm all for washable ones.

jaylucy Thu 03-Sep-20 09:46:39

Has anyone ever got actual proof that these name tapes work ? How many of us have children that have lost things at school, never to be seen again?
When my step grandmother was in a home, all of her clothing had to be labelled - that didn't work - she was frequently seen wearing someone else's clothes as the laundry staff used to just bundle everything in together, then the clothing was put all either hanging up in the laundry or bundled into a central cupboard for the staff to take from. Her son was constantly buying clothes for her as most time he visited, she was wearing items that looked the worse for wear - without name labels!

lucyanne Thu 03-Sep-20 09:48:59

It was always easy to find coats, jumper's etc. from lost property when labeled. I used to sew them in the tongue of sports shoes, glue them to equipment, hockey sticks etc. Saved a fortune in replacing items.
Missfoodlove your story certainly gave me a giggle. One to remember.
Found a strip of left over name tags in my sewing box. Made a memory bear from baby clothes I had kept for each child. Use the labels as a ribbon around the neck of each bear.

Witzend Thu 03-Sep-20 10:02:49

I’d forgotten the name tapes for my mother, once she had to move to a dementia care home. The staff would do it if but they were very good and I liked to save them a job. Once it occurred to me to stitch the belt to her new dressing gown, that was one less to do.

grannysyb Thu 03-Sep-20 10:42:22

My daughter had two of
her home economics overalls go missing, my Mil embroidered her name down the front so it could be seen, she managed to hang onto that one!

watermeadow Fri 04-Sep-20 20:48:17

Grandson’s new blazer proudly boasts that it’s made from recycled plastic bottles.
I was pleased to read advise to parents to encourage kids to wear coats in winter but of course they won’t. They wear exactly the same during a heatwave in July or blizzards in January.

Callistemon Fri 04-Sep-20 20:53:22

Usually a shirt, watermeadow (the blazer presumably screwed up in a bag).