Gransnet forums

Chat

Single sex couple on Strictly.

(91 Posts)
Tweedle24 Wed 02-Sep-20 13:43:12

Just heard that, for the first time this year, there will be a single sex couple competing on Strictly.

What do people think about that?

I can’t help thinking that ballroom dancing is designed for a man and a woman. Won’t it be a bit odd?

On the other hand, I have no negative feelings about single sex weddings and feel strongly that people should be allowed to love whom they wish. People’s sex life too, is their business.

I am finding this latest announcement a bit difficult to come to terms with. Am I being narrow-minded?

ginny Wed 02-Sep-20 16:43:41

I don’t have any problem or think it ‘odd’.
My main thought was that which one would have the strength to lift the other.

Sparklefizz Wed 02-Sep-20 16:44:56

I'm not the slightest bit bothered about same sex dancers on Strictly but I do think it limits some of the moves they can do, and this was noticeable with the same sex skaters in Dancing on Ice, even though one of the men was slight.

I expect Nicola Adams is very strong and fit as she is an athlete but even so, she still may not be able to lift another woman above her head or whatever, so the routines will have to be adapted to take this into account.

I didn't recognise Caroline Quentin with her new hairstyle when she appeared via video link on the One Show last night.

Sparklefizz Wed 02-Sep-20 16:45:19

SNAP ginny

Maggiemaybe Wed 02-Sep-20 17:01:06

My money’s on Nicola being up to the lifting!

BlueBelle Wed 02-Sep-20 17:02:35

I have to say I ve never heard of Caroline Quinton so I googled her and never watched any of the programmes she’s been in so not familiar with her Certainly know Nicola Adams though

Kalu Wed 02-Sep-20 17:16:15

Considering what gays and lesbians endured in the past. Made to feel ashamed and everything else they had to suffer simply because, they were not like us and shunned by society. I am pleased the ridiculous law was changed to accept, we are not all the same.

Good luck to this couple in their effort to win the Strictly trophy.

LullyDully Wed 02-Sep-20 17:47:48

It doesn't sorry me but Mr LD may be a bit queasy until he gets used to it.
Being tall,smile and at an all girls school, I always had to dance the man's part when we did ballroom.
(We did the quick step to In Our Mountain Greenery.)smile

BlueSky Wed 02-Sep-20 17:51:39

Well said Kalu!

lovebeigecardigans1955 Wed 02-Sep-20 17:52:57

I don't watch Strictly but as it's on at tea-time, what would you reply if a small child were to say, "Look Gan Gan, there are two women/men dancing together!" Would you just smile and say, "Oh yes, so there are" and leave it at that?

GillT57 Wed 02-Sep-20 18:07:58

Yes that's exactly what I would say lovebeigecardigans, why? would you then launch into an explanation of their presumed sex life ? Nobody's business and hopefully our grandchildren's generation will not give a fig for a person's sexuality, on or off of Strictly.

kittylester Wed 02-Sep-20 18:23:35

I just hope her mum doesn't come on gn. grin

Chewbacca Wed 02-Sep-20 18:25:23

I doubt that it would even register with a child that 2 men, or 2 women, were dancing together. Children are far more accepting and open minded than adults, until they're taught otherwise.

Kalu Wed 02-Sep-20 18:30:15

Thank you BlueSky

Some women prefer to be with women, some men prefer to be with men. It really is that simple and both DDS and GDS at a younger age, accepted this until age appropriate explanations were discussed.

Kalu Wed 02-Sep-20 18:32:52

I don’t think Susannah Reid will be competing this year kitty ?

mcem Wed 02-Sep-20 18:35:19

At 5 my DGD was flower girl at her aunt's wedding to my Dil and loved the whole thing. Oh the glamour of having 2 brides!
Shortly after, we stopped to watch a 'traditional' wedding at a local church.
She questioned the fairness.
'I know girls can get married and a boy and girl can too but I have never seen 2 boys get married so that's not fair!' She was assured that 2 boys can and was pleased when a year or so later she saw the pictures of family friends at their all-boys' ceremony.
Children accept what they see as fair just as long as no-one makes a big fuss about it.
"Out of the mouths of babes........."

BlueSky Wed 02-Sep-20 18:35:31

GillT57
Nobody's business and hopefully our grandchildren's generation will not give a fig for a person's sexuality, on or off of Strictly.
Let's hope so Gill

Starblaze Wed 02-Sep-20 18:43:35

Disgust is an important instinct that keeps people safe. Learning that certain smells or tastes mean do not eat this...

Disgust is also something that is taught to the younger by the older, its a literal biological instinct to register disgust happening around you as something being unsafe or unhealthy.

Children do not know what is safe and what isn't until registering the look on a parents face and they learn to recognise the look before the language.

Disgust at situations is taught.

Children are not born having any preconceived disgust at different sexualities, it is taught.

This is evident of a child that grows up on a farm with manure smells around, to them that smell is not disgusting because the adults around them are not disgusted by it. They may even like the smell and find it comforting.

There's a lot of research into OCD being born of this instinct

Oopsminty Wed 02-Sep-20 18:46:06

lovebeigecardigans1955

I don't watch Strictly but as it's on at tea-time, what would you reply if a small child were to say, "Look Gan Gan, there are two women/men dancing together!" Would you just smile and say, "Oh yes, so there are" and leave it at that?

I just can't imagine a small child noticing this.

Why would they?

NanKate Wed 02-Sep-20 18:59:56

I suspect that anyone who has an opposing view to the comments on this thread, would not have the courage to say anything as they are likely to be shot down.

I do miss free speech.

Starblaze Wed 02-Sep-20 19:03:40

You do have the liberty to say what you like NanKate, what you dont have is a guarantee that others will like or respect you for it or use their own liberty to tell you so.

Which has always been the case, it's just that the Internet exposes you to more people who don't think or feel as you do.

HurdyGurdy Wed 02-Sep-20 19:10:13

Am I imagining things or did they have two men dancing together last year. Not as a contestant, but as a show dance?

I seem to recall Graziano was one of them.

I've no issue with same sex couples at all. I did enjoy the two men skating together on DOI

GagaJo Wed 02-Sep-20 19:16:27

NanKate

I suspect that anyone who has an opposing view to the comments on this thread, would not have the courage to say anything as they are likely to be shot down.

I do miss free speech.

Ah yes. 'Political correctness gone mad.' The freedom to say what you like no matter how bigoted.

Lucca Wed 02-Sep-20 19:18:12

I still don’t see how they can do strictly with social distancing
Be it two men two women one of each or whatever.

Lucca Wed 02-Sep-20 19:19:15

Starblaze forgive me but who said anything about disgust ?

Kalu Wed 02-Sep-20 19:21:27

I would read/listen to anyone’s opinion. There will always be others whose views do not concur with mine Nankate but I would never shoot them down of their right of free speech.