Gransnet forums

Chat

Single sex couple on Strictly.

(91 Posts)
Tweedle24 Wed 02-Sep-20 13:43:12

Just heard that, for the first time this year, there will be a single sex couple competing on Strictly.

What do people think about that?

I can’t help thinking that ballroom dancing is designed for a man and a woman. Won’t it be a bit odd?

On the other hand, I have no negative feelings about single sex weddings and feel strongly that people should be allowed to love whom they wish. People’s sex life too, is their business.

I am finding this latest announcement a bit difficult to come to terms with. Am I being narrow-minded?

Charleygirl5 Thu 03-Sep-20 11:11:26

Who will be Nicola's professional dance partner I wonder?
I do like Nicola a lot.

Alegrias Thu 03-Sep-20 15:46:37

I think Strictly has made us think that there has to be a certain frisson between the dancers and that equates into boy dancing with girl. For instance the whole thing about the rumba having to be "sexy".
I'm looking forward to Nicola and whoever her partner might be introducing a different way of looking at this, so that we can just look at the dancing for its own sake. I'd love it if they swapped roles sometimes, one leading and then the other. And the lifting - well some of the celebrities in the past not been able to do lifts, and its not been a problem.

Jayt Thu 03-Sep-20 17:36:47

How much more of this political correctness do we have to accept?

mcem Thu 03-Sep-20 17:51:44

Jayt try substituting 'real life' for 'political correctness'.
Welcome to life as it's lived in 2020!

GillT57 Thu 03-Sep-20 17:51:55

We have to accept political correctness until we stop calling it that Jayt and realise that who people choose to fall in love with is none of our business.

Callistemon Thu 03-Sep-20 18:01:11

I can’t help thinking that ballroom dancing is designed for a man and a woman. Won’t it be a bit odd?

I learnt ballroom dancing at school with another girl as partner. It was an all girls' school. Because she was taller than me, she always took the male part.

I wonder if boys danced with boys at my brother’s school? I never thought to ask.
Probably not, as in my experience the boys from the boys' school were always hopeless at dancing, Grandma70s!

Of course, when putting on Shakespeare plays they had to take the female parts too, as male actors did in Shakespeare's day.

Callistemon Thu 03-Sep-20 18:03:41

My granddaughter says it’s ok because they are all married to each other !!

Lucca if they weren't before the start of the series, they often are after!

Alegrias Thu 03-Sep-20 19:40:40

Nice article and videos about same sex couples (men) in Argentine tango.

www.verytangostore.com/tango-men.html

Chewbacca Thu 03-Sep-20 19:47:39

"How much more of this political correctness do we have to accept?"

Until we accept that the way 2 people choose to live their lives is nothing to do with any one else. If they're not impacting upon, hurting anyone or insisting that any one else has to live the same way as they do, it is no one else's business how they live.

Grandma70s Thu 03-Sep-20 19:57:14

I am quite tall, so often had to take male parts in dancing and school plays. I hated it. I never felt remotely like a boy.

I remember seeing The Taming of the Shrew at my brother’s school with all parts played by boys. The one who played Bianca (I think) was quite disconcertingly pretty!

Alegrias Thu 03-Sep-20 20:02:17

And this might cause some people to implode....

www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJ3McIpkeM4

Olé!

Oopsminty Thu 03-Sep-20 20:05:07

Jayt

As others have said, it's not political correctness

PaperMonster Thu 03-Sep-20 21:09:26

I’ve only ever ballroom danced with another female! And when we went to see Oti Mabuse, her husband and Ian Waite danced beautifully together.

HurdyGurdy Wed 16-Sep-20 19:59:56

Jayt

Until prejudice such as this is a thing of the past, and we are all equals in everyone's eyes. Until couples are seen as "two people" and not "one man, one woman", or "two men" or "two women". Just two people.

Sadly, this is unlikely to be in my lifetime

welbeck Sun 20-Sep-20 15:49:38

anyone remember "rogerina" from the queen video of "I want to break free", over 30 years ago.
i didn't even realise who the schoolgirl was! wonderful.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4Mc-NYPHaQ