Gransnet forums

Chat

Single sex couple on Strictly.

(90 Posts)
Tweedle24 Wed 02-Sep-20 13:43:12

Just heard that, for the first time this year, there will be a single sex couple competing on Strictly.

What do people think about that?

I can’t help thinking that ballroom dancing is designed for a man and a woman. Won’t it be a bit odd?

On the other hand, I have no negative feelings about single sex weddings and feel strongly that people should be allowed to love whom they wish. People’s sex life too, is their business.

I am finding this latest announcement a bit difficult to come to terms with. Am I being narrow-minded?

Oopsminty Wed 02-Sep-20 13:47:36

It doesn't bother me in the slightest.

I really like Nicola. She comes across so well in interviews. Lovely girl

I wouldn't say you are being narrow minded. It's something different. Not everyone will be happy about it but in my eyes it's quite normal.

Oopsminty Wed 02-Sep-20 13:48:00

Whatever normal is!

Lucca Wed 02-Sep-20 13:49:44

Has strictly been recorded ? Otherwise how can they do it ? (My granddaughter says it’s ok because they are all married to each other !! )

Lucca Wed 02-Sep-20 13:50:13

Not much SD in an Argentine Tango

EllanVannin Wed 02-Sep-20 13:50:26

So what ? There were two men skating together, what's the big deal ?
I like Nicola the boxer, she's soooo pleasant.

Illte Wed 02-Sep-20 13:53:28

Due to a surfeit of women at dancing classes quite a lot of us learnt the steps with a same sex partner. Taking turns to "be the man"

It didn't feel odd but it wasn't romantic?

Illte Wed 02-Sep-20 13:54:51

Actually I think in the War it was quite common for two women to dance together.
An accepted way of enjoying a dance.

NanKate Wed 02-Sep-20 13:56:46

Nicola is lovely. I just wonder whether they will both wear dresses.

Next year we will no doubt have trans people.

Tweedle24 Wed 02-Sep-20 13:59:09

EllenVannin I did not say it was a ‘big deal’. I just said that, personally, I am finding it a bit strange, that’s all.

Smileless2012 Wed 02-Sep-20 14:03:33

I thought it was odd that the BBC were making such a fuss about it especially as Dancing on Ice had a male same sex couple at the beginning of the year.

M0nica Wed 02-Sep-20 14:10:38

I do not think about it at all and cannot work out what it is I should be thinking about.

Ladyleftfieldlover Wed 02-Sep-20 14:17:24

The Beeb aren’t making a fuss. The tabloids certainly are.

GillT57 Wed 02-Sep-20 15:15:55

The Beeb aren’t making a fuss. The tabloids certainly are

And there we have the truth. Who someone chooses to spend their life with is nothing to do with their dancing skills which is surely the purpose of the programme. I too like Nicola Adams, she is a super athlete and should do very well with the stamina and rigour of ballroom dancing.

eazybee Wed 02-Sep-20 15:17:52

Not enthused.

BlueBelle Wed 02-Sep-20 15:37:50

I thought they d already done it with guys but as someone up thread said that was skating I don’t watch either all too contrived and fake for me
Oh for goodness sake what a blooming fuss about nothing I ve got photos of my Nan ballroom dancing with a female friend if there were no men around, women would dance with women while the husbands sat talking or drinking their beer at the bar
Don’t understand what’s strange about it tweedle? Who says that it has to be a man and a woman (just because that’s the convention way ) dancing is for enjoyment fun and pleasure Not for worrying ‘how it looks’

Galaxy Wed 02-Sep-20 15:42:46

I really like nicola Adams. I know it's not the point of the thread but how will they social distance, it wont be quite the same if they are in ppe ?

sodapop Wed 02-Sep-20 15:49:04

It's just different Tweedle24 reflects the way we live our lives now, I'm surprised its taken this long. At least Strictly may be a bit more interesting now.

LauraNorder Wed 02-Sep-20 15:49:30

PPE with sparkles

Starblaze Wed 02-Sep-20 15:51:17

I forget this is an issue still at times.

The other day I saw a stunning picture of two women and their dog after getting married in Aus and underneath it said something like:

"here is our beautiful puppy being flower girl at our wedding, just two years ago this was illegal"

Not the exact words but, I sat there scratching my head thinking why would it be illegal for a dog to be at a wedding.... Until I remembered that homophobia is a thing and it was the actual marriage that was illegal before.

I don't think same sex dancers or trans dancers would have really had much of an impact on me at all lol

Marriage is about love and dancing is about movement

welbeck Wed 02-Sep-20 15:52:06

i don't think nicola adams goes in for, or to, big flouncy dresses. but who knows. remember anne widdecombe descending on a wire. who'd a thunk it.
in traditional societies, eg, strict jewish, men only dance with men, ditto women only with women.
OP, many unfamiliar things seem odd at first.
i think same sex sounds better than single sex.
i disapprove of boxing, but i approve of nicola adams.

Jane10 Wed 02-Sep-20 15:57:41

Remember Joyce Grenfell and 'Stately as a galleon'?

honeyrose Wed 02-Sep-20 15:57:44

It will certainly be different. I don’t really know how I feel about it, but i’ll watch it anyway. Nicola is lovely - with a real passion for life and with a great sense of fun. People can’t help their sexuality so I think i’ll be fine with it. DH is a little more prejudiced however, but that’s his opinion on the matter.

Chewbacca Wed 02-Sep-20 16:09:34

Don't understand what the issue is here? Same sex dancers on Strictly? So what? confused

Maggiemaybe Wed 02-Sep-20 16:10:33

Lucca

Has strictly been recorded ? Otherwise how can they do it ? (My granddaughter says it’s ok because they are all married to each other !! )

I think they’re having a shorter series, Lucca. No audience and all the participants will be living in the same hotel.

I’m a bit of an occasional Strictly viewer, but will watch this series for Nicola and Caroline Quentin. I can’t see anything to think about re the single sex partnership. At my girls’ grammar we only ever danced with other girls, whether in PE or at the occasional school disco.