Gransnet forums

Chat

Good Morning Saturday

(69 Posts)
12Michael Sat 05-Sep-20 06:15:13

Good Morning Everyone,
Its looking at present like it could be a nice dry and sunny day here in Brackley this morning.
I will be going off on the bus routes to buckingham and bicester , have a free coffee at bicester and return to buckingham, hoping the dealer I normally have got items from on the flea market is there .
Then back home watch the tour on telly , interesting weekends racing in the pyrenes, then maybe a take away later .
Take care ,
Mick

cornergran Sat 05-Sep-20 08:13:07

Morning Mick, morning All from a bright, blowy corner of Somerset. Out for some air this morning after depositing a couple of bags at a charity shop, one of the few in the area welcoming donations. Hope you enjoy the Bishops Palace, nanKate, not sure how well tended the gardens will be this year. There are some lovely views from the walls and across to the Cathedral from the gardens. You’ll be fine kitty, a change isn’t a bad thing. Another one here with a flu jab booked in a couple of weeks, always have one. Take care everyone, special thoughts for those with worries.

Aldom Sat 05-Sep-20 08:14:12

grandMattie Yesterday I had an email from the surgery offering a flu jab. As I have already booked an appointment for mid September, at Boots, I have declined the offer.

Urmstongran Sat 05-Sep-20 08:19:58

Good morning everyone from Malaga where we have grey clouds over the mountains! The forecast is for sun though from 11am and highs of 28°C so I’m happy ?

My sister moves into her new apartment today. They’ve been staying in an hotel in Estapona while they waited for connection of water and electricity (it’s a new build). They have a penthouse with a wrap around balcony - it does look mighty fine. They’ve been out & about in their hire car, ordering new furniture so she’s been quite enjoying herself. A ‘new start’ indeed for their retirement!

The gardens were very quiet yesterday afternoon (see photo). The Spanish vacations are over and no-one seems to be flying in to take their place. September is usually very popular with retirees. With everything at present I don’t blame them one bit for staying put.

Hope Saturday is kind to us all. Keep safe everyone that’s the main thing. x

Marydoll Sat 05-Sep-20 08:22:22

Good morning Mick and all from a very breezy Glasgow.
My friend's son is getting married today up in the Highlands and the men are all wearing kilts!!! A bit of a risky business, I would think, in that breeze!!??
MOBB, I hope the walk is going well. If you pass a wedding at the foot of a Ben, could you give a wave from me.?

We have no plans at all for the day. My DD and SIL usually come up on a Saturday to cadge lunch for a visit, but as we are unable to have anyone in the house, due to a lockdown, it will be a quick drop off of the shopping and then home.

For those being offered the flu jab, I can't even get my bloods done at the surgery, let alone the flu jab, they are five months late!! I have been offered the flu jab for as long as I can remember, due to my health. I always accept, I need as much armour as I can get.?

Nortsat, yesterday was indeed particularly unpleasant on GN , but try to remember that it was caused by a thread, which was obviously going to cause trouble, until GNHQ took it down. One single poster does not make GN. You know from this lovely thread, that there are so many kind and friendly folk on here.
However, it is a timely reminder that everything on here is in the public domain. Be careful what you post.?

Kate, I'm so disappointed on yours and my behalf. I was so looking forward to hearing about your bargains.☹️

It is a worry about, Gilly, I know she uses her phone to post, I hope it's a phone problem and nothing else.
Kalu, I hope you managed some sort of celebration yesterday.

Enjoy your Saturday, everyone.

Taichinan Sat 05-Sep-20 08:26:57

Good morning from a sunny Angus coast. That's a good idea about the free coffee Mick. Our local car wash works the same system - it always feels good to get something free. I like your rope fence Gelisajams. You have brought back many happy memories for me Brook with your account of your walk around Loch an Eileen. It's such a beautiful area. Nothing exciting on my agenda this weekend but on Monday I shall start my long list of phone calls about the re-starting tai chi classes. I hate using the phone, to the extent that it's almost a phobia, so this weekend is like taking a long deep breath! Have the best day you can everybody, and make the most of every ray of sunshine. ???

Stilllearning Sat 05-Sep-20 08:38:21

Morning from S Lanarkshire and glad to read your post Grandmabatty, Unusually I have been awake for ages and just beginning to feel a ‘down’ day coming on. Your happy plan to ‘potter’ has made me give myself a shake!
A good day to everyone else.

GrannySomerset Sat 05-Sep-20 08:40:13

Awaiting arrival of gardener who should have been her on Thursday but was rained off. Grass needs to be kept under control at this time of year or it looks lumpy all winter, so I am glad he is coming. Need to sort out few remaining tomatoes and runner beans and compost the plants. Not done as well as usual with them this year - don’t know why.

Otherwise yet another formless day but I am sure we will find something to fill it. Hope all is well with our absentees and those unwell or unhappy.

Susan56 Sat 05-Sep-20 08:42:59

Good morning from Shropshire.

We had a good day yesterday and slept well after our bracing walk by the sea.

DGD cried and cried going into school which set DD off but the teacher sent a picture of her mid morning happy as can be.
She had a good day apart from the fact her newly fitted start rite shoes gave her blisters?

DH and I are off on a first aid course this afternoon.Seemed like a good idea when we booked it?

Hope you are ok gilly?

Have a good day everyone and thinking of all with worries and illness and hope to see some of our missing posters back soon.

NannyJan53 Sat 05-Sep-20 08:49:22

Good Morning from a bright and sunny Black Country.

Urmston Jet2 have suspended all flights to mainland Spain and Croatia for the remainder of the summer. We had an e-mail from them confirming our flight on 27th September is cancelled. At least we can now have a refund or credit towards a flight next September.

My two DGD's had a good first day day at school. The youngest who started year 7, seemed quite happy about it when I spoke to her last night, she said the Math's teacher wasn't very nice though! The eldest who has started 6th Form said they do not have to be in school when not timetabled (because of Covid) Friday is a day for just study, so she is quite happy about being at home all day. I hope she realises she still must study grin

Nankate I have never been to that shopping village when in that area, so I think I will give it a miss smile. We will be down that way from Thursday, so hope to visit Wells next Saturday.

Housework and pottering today.

Thinking of gilly and hope all is well with her and her DH. It is always concerning when regular posters stop for a while.

Grandmabatty Sat 05-Sep-20 08:49:33

Stillearning I'm glad I made you feel better! I've been retired from teaching for two years and it took me a while to settle into a more relaxed way of living. Marydoll and Nortsat I saw that particular thread and was struck by how angry the OP seemed to be and stuck in her/his own head. I rarely see that kind of vitriol on GN thankfully. It must have been upsetting if you were involved in any way. ?

Mapleleaf Sat 05-Sep-20 08:54:28

Good morning all,

It's a bright but cloudy and breezy morning today. I suspect it might be chilly too, but haven't ventured outdoors yet.

I've had a busy week, being out and about for the first part and then getting ready for some electrical work which involved lifting a carpet to enable access to some wiring, so in order for the carpet to be lifted, furniture had to be moved, shelves cleared, etc, so it was a big job preparation wise. Then it all had to go back, of course. All done now though, and the electrical work has made a big difference. So, in essence, I've not had time to post much at all this week, but I have skimmed through. Glad to see that most of you are ok and also hope that gilly is alright, along with others who usually post but haven't for a while. ?

Not sure what is on the agenda today, but definitely no furniture moving! ?

Anniebach Sat 05-Sep-20 08:55:57

Good morning Auntyflo and all x

grannysyb Sat 05-Sep-20 09:03:33

Bright and sunny here, DH is going to visit his son and grandson, and I am staying home and pottering. Furniture restorer coming to look at our dining table which needs French polishing. Also must make some soup and do some gardening. Hope Gillybob is OK. Have a good day everyone.

MellowYellow Sat 05-Sep-20 09:08:07

Oh Susan, how kind of that teacher to send a happy photo!!

mrswoo Sat 05-Sep-20 09:08:18

Good morning from a bright and breezy Newcastle. I suspect it's also quite chilly out.
I had a dreadful nights sleep and I'm putting the blame on the kippers we had for supper last night. They were delicious but they definitely took their revenge in the middle of the night.
Nothing much planned for today apart from getting washing on the line to take advantage of the weather.
I too hope gilly is ok. It's been a few days since she last posted.
MMB hope you are enjoying the West Highland Way. DH did it several years ago. He had had a heart attack some years beforehand - and it was only once he was back home - thankfully safe and well - that he informed me that he had left all his medication at home by mistake. I'm so glad I didn't know it at the time!
I'm having my flu jab at Asda this year as they they are doing them on behalf of our GP practice who are still not seeing patients in the surgery. I really think it's time that they started working normally again.

Wishing everyone the best possible day.

Greyduster Sat 05-Sep-20 09:08:56

Good morning, Michael, and all GNs. Maple has given you our South Yorkshire weather; hope it improves a little through the day. Definitely a nip in the air. We had a full on afternoon yesterday. Called in at a furniture shop for a look and came out having bought two sofas, followed by a walk in the woods before landing on DD’s doorstep for coffee and a catch up with GS after his first two days at school, which went OK apparently! Making elderberry cordial today if I can find enough bottles to put it in. DH hopes this will herald an end to my foraging for this year - or any year, come to that! Have a good safe day folks.

Auntieflo Sat 05-Sep-20 10:03:01

Good morning Mick, Annie and all, from our bright and sunny bit of Berks.
As it was nice, I turfed DH out of bed and whipped the bedding away to be washed. Should be ready in a short while.

As my friend came yesterday afternoon, I didn't do any shopping while DH was volunteering. So will probably have to go and do it a bit later.

Commiserations * MrsWoo*, shame about the kippers. I love them.
I didn't see any of the nastiness yesterday on GN. I thought that after the unpleasantness that has been going on over the past few weeks, that it had all blown over. I kept away for quite a while, but have recently dipped my toe back in , so was hoping for a peaceful time.

I am also wondering how Gillybob is, as I realised that I hadn't seen her for a few days.

Later I shall try and sort out where my new plants are going to live.
Have a good day one and all.

MawB2 Sat 05-Sep-20 10:14:36

Good morning from sunny but crisp N Bucks.
My morning has just been brightened up by a FaceTime with D in London and little DGS (4) looking for his bedtime story which was missed last night as his other Grandpa was babysitting. So I read one of his favourites a Shirley Hughes Alfie story.
Conscious of cabin-fever I have made an executive decision to go to London tomorrow to see the Andy Warhol Exhibition at Tate Modern. It’s a direct train to Blackfriars and a short walk to the Tate, so no buses or tubes and my thinking is if I don’t do it now, I think conditions will get worse as the Autumn and Winter approach. Not meeting up with or visiting either D much as I would like to, as that would involve either them or me using the tube. It will feel strange though.
Anyway, I hope you all have as pleasant a day as you can.

Georgesgran Sat 05-Sep-20 10:15:29

Good morning from a bright blustery Durham. I’ve not been on GN long and enjoy the general chit chat. So many others in both similar and different situations. Didn’t see ‘nastiness’ yesterday, thankfully.

I’ve a purse full of those coffee loyalty card things - but not going anywhere to use them.

I’m in the same boat as Mrs Woo! Up half the night, so had a bit of a lie-in. Washing to do and it’ll dry quickly in this wind. Might do our walk earlier now, as DH is really ‘done in’ by evening time and up here, it’s almost dark by 8pm.

Concerned about Gillybob - hope she’s only having ‘phone trouble - I’ve always made a point of reading her posts.

Wish a good weekend to all. X

EllanVannin Sat 05-Sep-20 10:32:03

Good Morning All x
Weather's not so spicy this morning with the threat of rain by the look of things. The leaves on the trees are blowing and showing their " undersides " which is a sure sign of rain if you follow how nature works.

A lovely visit from D yesterday before she picked all the children up from school, then an equally lovely video-call from our friend in Holland. She was due to visit for a week next month, but that was " off ", so disappointing. We'll see her next year now. She has adopted us all since a relationship online 13 years or so ago with my GS and even gained British status/ nationality to live/work here which she did some years ago. GS had done the same in Holland.

I've got a chicken to roast today for my dinner tomorrow-----still haven't got my dried peas though sad so I'll make do with carrots and froz. sprouts which I cook to death.

Sun's trying its best but I think washing will be a bit risky though there's nothing that can't wait until it bucks up, which means that there's little else I'll be doing today apart from a bit of tidying up.

Perhaps Gillybob is inundated with orders ? We hope. Nevertheless I hope all's well in their household x.

Hope everyone's fit and well and staying germ-free since children are back at school, sadly I think it's only a matter of time before the bugs break free.
However, enjoy your day whatever you do and stay safe. My thoughts to " absent " friends [flowers ] Gilly included. xx.

P.S. D had bought a huge fluffy teddy for me with a heart cushion attached saying " World's Most Wonderful Mum ". She'd said it was the last one. What's she like ? I filled up after she'd gone.

P.S.S. Bad news for my area with the virus surging and a threatened lockdown with data suggesting 85% chance of it becoming a hotspot in the next two weeks sad

Taichinan Sat 05-Sep-20 10:35:06

Gingster you voiced my feelings about the jab. I went through a few years (about 59 years ago now!!) when I got flu every year, and then since then, never. Taking the jab seems silly in the light of that. But in the light of Covid and my age it seems silly not to. Oh, I still don't know!

Kalu Sat 05-Sep-20 10:40:09

Good morning all from a breezy Glasgow, but it’s dry?‍♀️.
Marydoll, we had DD’s present plus a pair of trousers I had ordered for GD1 so I decided, as it was dry, to go to DD’s for a surprise garden visit. GD’s, in on the surprise, let me know when they were home from school and I arrived at their patio doors holding a bunch of sunflowers, DD’s favourite. The look on her face when she saw me was priceless. I drove home with a smile on my face.

I will take a gamble on hanging some washing out hoping it stays dry.? Time to cut back and tidy any dead plants and do a much needed power wash.

What a shame there was no One Hundred Stars shop for you to visit Kate. I love a bargain but no use when it is clothes I would never wear☹️

I’m hoping no news is good news gilly but also hope you are ok.

I have a vague idea of where you are today MOMBEnjoy the next part of your walk.

Best wishes for a good day to all and kind thoughts to our GN friends who are struggling.

Kalu Sat 05-Sep-20 10:54:37

We are swithering whether to have the flu jab too Taichinan, also the pneumonia jab in the hope that we can at least avoid the virus that hit us last December, all the symptoms of Covid-19 including shortness of breath which many of us on here also suffered.

CherryCezzy Sat 05-Sep-20 11:02:37

Good morning everyone. It's a beautiful early autumn day in the Gower.

I only woke up at 9:30am this morning. I had a very disturbed night because my neighbour was ranting shouting and banging around ?. I was so tired after a visit to Swansea city centre, where I haven't ventured to for eons, that it's something I could've done without.

A quiet day for me today, I don't think I'm up to much else ?.

I've been having a flu jab every year for years, usually done at the GP practice. The last couple of years I've had it done at the local pharmacy but both years I've ended up having flu anyway ?, that never happens when it's done at the practice. I will have the jab, usually October I find best, but hopefully at the practice.

I'm glad I missed that thread yesterday, it's unpleasant when that happens. Don't let it put you off Nortsat, it's best ignored.

Susan, you've said previously that your DGD is a sweet sensitive soul, the idea of going off to school obviously got to her, bless her. It was incredibly good of her teacher to send a photo of her smiling. I hope she settles in, I'm sure she will, and enjoys being in school and making lovely new friends.

No gillybob again, I hope she's are alright.

Thinking of our missing posters, I'm hoping that day by day they are getting stronger. ??? for you all.

Have a good Saturday folks and be kind to yourselves ❤️

Alegrias Sat 05-Sep-20 11:13:48

Morning from sunny Fife, although its clouding over now. Thank you all for the messages of welcome smile. Housework day today, nothing special.
Have a good day everyone.