Gransnet forums

Chat

Good Morning Saturday

(69 Posts)
12Michael Sat 05-Sep-20 06:15:13

Good Morning Everyone,
Its looking at present like it could be a nice dry and sunny day here in Brackley this morning.
I will be going off on the bus routes to buckingham and bicester , have a free coffee at bicester and return to buckingham, hoping the dealer I normally have got items from on the flea market is there .
Then back home watch the tour on telly , interesting weekends racing in the pyrenes, then maybe a take away later .
Take care ,
Mick

Grandmafrench Sat 05-Sep-20 11:14:18

Good Morning everyone! Bringing up the rear and a last minute gallop for me after having problems logging in to GN today.

I'm the middle of making wonderful courgette soup (70p a kilo at the moment) to have for lunch. Sun shining, birds larking about, animals sunbathing, wonderfully warm - so all is good with my world. The entire house is having an airing due to DH making a big batch of Poppadums earlier today (he's only allowed when all windows can be opened) which we then put in the freezer. (Rather like meringue, they don't freeze so can be used immediately and he can't have a curry without them. )

I am sending you all some Saturday blooms -a share in my lovely little pot which has to be moved constantly because the flowers crumple up in these temperatures. I shouldn't have bought it really but just love the colour, so, it has to always sit in the shade.

Having seen the most beautiful David Austin roses, I am also planning on having some bare-rooted ones sent from England in November. I am on the lookout now for the odd shady spot where I might manage at least a couple with some success.

Going to stretch out and read a book and top up my Vitamin D levels this afternoon. It's been too much to sunbathe during the last month or so, but now with lots of factor 50, and a nice breeze, I can sit safely in some sun again.

Hope you get to do whatever you want this weekend. Was very impressed at Maw's decision to go to the Tate. How lovely and well done her. "Time and tide" etc..,

Ellan what a lovely Daughter to show her lovely Mum what she feels - in the midst of all the mayhem grin. Oh, that was good......I just did the bracket to type 'grin' and then saw I'd typed gin instead!! Do we perhaps need a little Gin emoji - as well as the gin?

Stay safe and stay calm - and enjoy everything you have.
Hugs from France.

Gwenisgreat1 Sat 05-Sep-20 11:15:19

Good Morning all from nondescript Harrogate. Today we are celebrating DH's 80th Birthday. DD1 organised a trip yesterday to his old home, a farm he was brought up in, which he he enjoyed with a fish supper after. His sister lives nearby so we picked her u to jin us and she is here just down, my DD1 has organised a small party for DH.
Good Luck with Hairdresser Kitty - I haven't been back yet and will need more than luck to get me there!!

Hope all are managing to enjoy the day

Grandmafrench Sat 05-Sep-20 11:19:33

Gwen what a clever and unusual idea. Bet your DH was thrilled. Wishing him a very Happy Birthday today and hope you all get the benefit of a family 'do'.

Urmstongran Sat 05-Sep-20 11:23:35

Admire your decision Maw I hope you really enjoy your day. The only thing I recall about Andy Warhol’s art is his Campbell’s soup tins! And Marilyn Monroe (I think). Modern art always makes me a bit ‘emperor’s new clothes’ as I’m such a sceptic (and don’t really understand the concepts!).

Kalu Sat 05-Sep-20 11:25:01

I missed your joining us Alegrias. A warm welcome to our lovely thread.

Kalu Sat 05-Sep-20 11:34:09

Happy Birthday to your DH Gwen. What a lovely DD to arrange the trip and a visit with his sister.

I haven’t been to the hairdressers yet either...it’s obvious?

MawB2 Sat 05-Sep-20 11:38:39

Urmstongran I have to admit I am not all that impressed by Warhol, but as a member, the Tate is free and I just needed a trip out!
The Turner Exhibition at Tate Britain from October is more my cup of tea, but I need to work up to a “train +bus or tube “ journey! grin

EllanVannin Sat 05-Sep-20 11:48:44

What a beautiful colour that plant is,Grandmafrench. First glance I thought it was " St Paulia " variety of African violet but I don't think it is, is it ?

Beechnut Sat 05-Sep-20 11:56:14

Wishing MrGwen a very Happy 80th Birthday ??

Beechnut Sat 05-Sep-20 11:59:34

They are lovely flowers. I think they are called Platycodon EllenVannin.

CherryCezzy Sat 05-Sep-20 12:09:26

Wishing your DH a very happy birthday Gwen ?

Welcome Alegrias ?, missed your post yesterday. Hope you enjoy being on GN and this lovely thread.

Mapleleaf Sat 05-Sep-20 13:14:04

Welcome, Alegrias and to any other new posters. ?

Grandmafrench Sat 05-Sep-20 13:29:14

Beechnut

They are lovely flowers. I think they are called Platycodon EllenVannin.

Platycodon they are indeed, Beechnut. I chose it for the colour Ellan ! Balloon flowers are very distinctive in that the actual flower opens from a balloon of colour into the final shape. They are apparently very easy to look after and can be grown from seed. They do like sun but it's the heat that bothers mine, I think, so I shall keep them in pots to avoid any planting location mistakes !

Taichinan Sat 05-Sep-20 14:02:27

I popped back in again to see if Gillybob had put in an appearance - maybe tomorrow. ?. Alegrias welcome to this lovely thread. I too was a Fifer and went to school in beautiful St Andrews. I too love the colour of your plant Grandmafrench. It's a lucky plant to be so well looked after! And happy 80th birthday to Mr Gwen. Now off I go to do not a lot of anything - a lesson I learned well during lockdown!

Marydoll Sat 05-Sep-20 14:08:54

I messaged Gtilly, but no reply, which is unusual. ☹️

Auntieflo Sat 05-Sep-20 14:20:31

Have just popped back in to see if Giily had surfaced. That is a bit worrying Marydoll, hope that all is well .

EllanVannin Sat 05-Sep-20 14:20:44

Always a bit of a worry when that happens Marydoll. Let's hope it's a telecom problem and nothing else.

Urmstongran Sat 05-Sep-20 16:24:27

? Maw