Gransnet forums

Chat

Spider exodus

(53 Posts)
Grandmabatty Sat 05-Sep-20 09:54:36

Either I have a basilisk hiding in the plumbing a la Harry Potter, or the spiders are migrating through my house. Is there a spider moses saying "let my people go?" I'm inundated with enormous hairy beasts that just love my bedroom ?. I send them on their way outside but I wish they would get it over with and go! Anyone else got lurking spiders at the moment?

Starblaze Sat 05-Sep-20 14:15:21

My kittens are absolute death on anything small and mobile which is great except if you are in a room with 2 kittens and a moth and you cease to be anything other than an easily climbable higher launching point

MissAdventure Sat 05-Sep-20 14:18:28

My daughters dog would come running in like a maniac if she heard a sharp intake of breath - hunting everywhere for spiders.
Quite annoying when there wasn't a spider though.

trustgone4sure Sat 05-Sep-20 14:21:18

I can`t stand them one fell on my chest years ago and that was that,fear ever since.
Tea tree oil/ peppermint oil sprayed by windows/doors/skirting boards and even key holes have helped this year.

Auntieflo Sat 05-Sep-20 14:25:40

Phoenix ?. If our spider heard us say Boris, he would just turn his back and toddle off.
His name is George, don't ya know? grin

Jaxjacky Sat 05-Sep-20 14:29:20

They don’t bother me, will pick them up with my hand and put outside, my husband hates them, so I’m the spider catcher.

Moths, slugs and particularly things that begin with m that flies make are entirely another matter...particularly the m’s...??

Juliet27 Sat 05-Sep-20 14:29:42

We get sweet little dark jumping spiders called Peter

Beechnut Sat 05-Sep-20 14:32:47

They are called Harry The Spider in my house.

SueDonim Sat 05-Sep-20 14:47:45

Oh, do those electric racquets work on spiders, MissA? We used to have them for mosquitos when we lived abroad. If you frizzled one that had just gorged on blood, it didn’t half stink. hmm

6yo Dd2 was an ace at whacking them, we think because she was short and so looked up and could see them against the white ceiling. grin

MissAdventure Sat 05-Sep-20 15:06:40

Yep.
They work like a dream. smile

Grandmabatty Sat 05-Sep-20 16:36:30

Goodness, lots of spiders bring called nice names! Oopsminty thank you for the update! What a kind sister - not. MissAdventure I like the sound of your spider catcher being an electric tennis racket.

AGAA4 Sat 05-Sep-20 17:34:49

We had an enormous one called Sid. He used to run along a low shelf then jump to the floor. He was so big you could hear him land on the carpet.

NotTooOld Sat 05-Sep-20 18:24:35

I'm terrified of the big ones. So far we've had two in the house this season. Luckily DH can pick them up with a tissue and put them outside but I walk around the house at this time of year with my eyes on stalks. When I see one I can't take my eyes off it until DH arrives in case it temporarily disappears and I don't know where it's gone. So ridiculous. I wish I didn't have this phobia as it makes me hate September and half of October. I'd really like to move to a new build house where I think there might be fewer of the wretched things.

MissAdventure Sat 05-Sep-20 18:35:57

At a school open evening, the woman next to me was walking with 2 crutches, and had a blue cast from her knee down to her toes.

I could see she was in a lot of pain, and asked what she'd done.

It was a spider bite, and this was 4 years later, after a series of operations.

She had just had her heel removed, and her ankle fused, having had infection after infection after infection.

When we met outside, she was using a mobility scooter.

Starblaze Sat 05-Sep-20 18:40:23

This is why I never knew the film Arachnophobia is meant to be a comedy until a few months ago

shiver

grannyrebel7 Sat 05-Sep-20 18:48:15

Please don't kill them! They have every right to live the same as us.

MissAdventure Sat 05-Sep-20 18:51:02

If there was a safe way of catching them then I would put them outside.

The paper and glass method doesn't work for me; too close, too close by far.

jdga Sat 05-Sep-20 18:53:32

Bites from brown recluse spiders can turn v nasty! We have a Golden Orb Weaver spider that builds beautiful webs for us to admire each morning. (outdoors) I live in the Deep South, spiders are daily life for us, lol.

Grandmabatty Sat 05-Sep-20 20:48:33

Living in Scotland can be wet and dreary at times, but the local spiders aren't particularly vicious! That's a shame for that lady who was bitten MissAdventure

MissAdventure Sat 05-Sep-20 21:03:51

Oh, I love Scotland!
Wet and dreary, but breathtakingly beautiful.
Placid spiders is another plus. smile

Yes, the poor woman, she was only in her mid 30s.

GrandmasueUK Sat 05-Sep-20 21:47:21

My daughter came home the other night and shouted "Mum"! I was sitting on the light coloured sofa and out of the corner of my eye I saw something coming towards me - I thought she had shouted "Mouse". It was a huge spider. Even though I have arthritis in my hips I shot off the sofa and I would have beaten Usain Bolt through the door. grin

MissAdventure Sat 05-Sep-20 21:55:28

grin
It's a strange thing, but I can often sense a spider in the room before I've seen it.
I was chatting to a friend at my back door once, and her eyes strayed to my chest area.
I knew by her face I had a spider on my t shirt and I tore it off, and we both jumped up and down on it.

JuneRose Sat 05-Sep-20 22:36:39

I actually can't bring myself to read all the comments. I'd never sleep ?

lemongrove Sat 05-Sep-20 22:37:11

Starblaze

People say (not people that I am particularly fond of for saying it so apologies in advance) that house spiders are always around. Just during mating season they move about a lot rather than keeping to their crevice.

I have a lot of old and loved floorboards. With many crevices.

When my husband suddenly declares "don't move" I know there is one near me or I'm moving towards it and I immediately lose all control of any dignity.

I hate them.

The spindly balls on legs don't bother me nearly as much.

I could have written your post???
Autumn is mating season which makes them bold! The larger ones are females.
They don’t make webs ( the large hairy house spider) as they are hunting spiders not web ones.

lemongrove Sat 05-Sep-20 22:39:27

I was once bitten by a brown recluse spider, it felt like a pin pushed into my hand.

Starblaze Sat 05-Sep-20 22:42:02

lemongrove I think the spindly ones don't bother me because they are so ridiculous... What do they need that much leg for? They definitely don't have enough control over them for the length to be useful. They would be better off just rolling their weird little ball self around the place lol