Gransnet forums

Chat

Spider exodus

(52 Posts)
Grandmabatty Sat 05-Sep-20 09:54:36

Either I have a basilisk hiding in the plumbing a la Harry Potter, or the spiders are migrating through my house. Is there a spider moses saying "let my people go?" I'm inundated with enormous hairy beasts that just love my bedroom ?. I send them on their way outside but I wish they would get it over with and go! Anyone else got lurking spiders at the moment?

Auntieflo Sat 05-Sep-20 10:04:58

Not seen any inside just yet, but this is the rime of year when they suddenly appear in the middle of the carpet.

In our house they are all called George.

ninathenana Sat 05-Sep-20 10:11:10

Conkers placed on window sills are an effective deterrent.

Spiders are Boris' in our house, it's what my dad always called them.

Sarnia Sat 05-Sep-20 10:12:46

Spider season is upon us, like it or not. I usually collect conkers and distribute these around the house in the hopes it might deter them. As you put them outside, perhaps it is the same one coming back. They are called house spiders for a reason. I will offend some by saying any arachnid foolish enough to cross my path gets my size 7's on it, not a helping hand outside.

tanith Sat 05-Sep-20 10:29:18

I’ve had a couple but collected conkers this morning to scatter in corners they usually work well.

Callistemon Sat 05-Sep-20 10:29:22

I think a large spider may have given birth to a hundred babies in the conservatory.

Peppermint oil has not deterred them. ?

Grandmabatty Sat 05-Sep-20 10:46:23

Callistemon???. Yuck. The ones I am seeing at the moment are enormous ones. I don't mind them really and will happily remove them under a glass and throw them out.

Callistemon Sat 05-Sep-20 10:49:51

I keep finding tiny ones at the moment; the large ones must have a clever hiding place or are too high up to reach.

EllanVannin Sat 05-Sep-20 11:01:32

I know I have a large " Boris " underneath a display cabinet as I glimpsed it last week when hoovering. The design of the cabinet with hollow block stands makes it difficult for me to twist the hoover around into the corner and there's no way I can move/ pull the cabinet out.
The corner of my eye is on permanent alert in case it shows itself. I have my spider-catcher beside me at the ready grin

Oopsminty Sat 05-Sep-20 11:05:19

We also have a few that potter round here and there.

Ours are called Twiggy

I help them outside when I can. We have a spider ladder in the bath to assist with evacuation if they ever find themselves in that predicament.

I'd never kill one.

Oldwoman70 Sat 05-Sep-20 11:15:40

I rarely see a spider but every morning I have to deal with webs. Perhaps my spiders are transient and spend their nights in my house before moving on! Either that or they have excellent day time hiding places and only come out at night to party grin

Grandmabatty Sat 05-Sep-20 12:39:12

EllanVannin I would leave 'Boris' hiding where he is! ☺ I love how you all have names for the beasties. Oopsminty, Twiggy is unusual though. Any particular reason?

jeanrobinson Sat 05-Sep-20 12:52:26

I decided my spider phobia had to go, so I began studying them. I bought a book called Spider Silk by Leslie Brunetta and Catherine L Craig. It is the most incredible stuff, which scientists have tried and failed to reproduce. I also was lucky enough to know an Oxford academic, who kept free range Golden Orb spiders (they spin golden webs) and took me to see them.

MissAdventure Sat 05-Sep-20 13:03:00

I really really dislike spiders.
I'm ridiculously frightened of them.

phoenix Sat 05-Sep-20 13:09:21

Auntieflo there was a song by The Who called "Boris the Spider"

Grandmabatty Sat 05-Sep-20 13:19:11

MissAdventure my daughter is likewise terrified of them. It is definitely the fault of her big brother who tormented her with a fake one when she was little. Now, her husband has to be on spider watch.

MissAdventure Sat 05-Sep-20 13:22:23

I've trained myself not to run screaming out into the street if I see a small one, but those big hairy monsters are too much to cope with.

Starblaze Sat 05-Sep-20 13:29:22

People say (not people that I am particularly fond of for saying it so apologies in advance) that house spiders are always around. Just during mating season they move about a lot rather than keeping to their crevice.

I have a lot of old and loved floorboards. With many crevices.

When my husband suddenly declares "don't move" I know there is one near me or I'm moving towards it and I immediately lose all control of any dignity.

I hate them.

The spindly balls on legs don't bother me nearly as much.

MissAdventure Sat 05-Sep-20 13:32:12

I don't like the spindly ones either.
Anything spider shaped.
Crabs, tomato stalks..

Spiders with knees or ankles are the worst.

Nannatwiglet Sat 05-Sep-20 13:50:09

Most of the large hairy spiders in our house live in/hide under my upright piano...they always seem to make a dash across the lounge floor from underneath it...not necessarily when I’m playing !..but usually in the autumn evenings. My H catches them under a glass and takes them outside.
I agree with tanith&* athenathenana*...they don’t like the smell of conkers!

Grandmabatty Sat 05-Sep-20 13:50:22

MissAdventure ??? those sort usually get a Dyson funeral in my home.

Oopsminty Sat 05-Sep-20 14:01:00

Grandmabatty

EllanVannin I would leave 'Boris' hiding where he is! ☺ I love how you all have names for the beasties. Oopsminty, Twiggy is unusual though. Any particular reason?

Silly reason, Grandmabatty!

I was originally nicknamed Twiggy by my adoring (not) sister

I had very long spindly legs and was also often referred to as a spider by the same loving (not) sister

So over the years we evolved into calling the spiders Twiggy!

SueDonim Sat 05-Sep-20 14:08:39

Like MissA I’m terrified of sp*ders. So why do I feel obliged to open any thread that has that word in the title? ?

So far, we’ve not had any monsters in yet but my dd had a gigantic hairy brute in her bath. Her Dh puts them outside, whereas like Sarnia, I need to them to be underneath a hefty boot before I feel safe to emerge.

MissAdventure Sat 05-Sep-20 14:10:09

I have an electric tennis racket, which enables me to live independently.
I can hold it at arms length and wack 'em.
They stick to the wire of the racket and I then bang the racket over the bin. Phew!
(Hope none of the people on the 'hunting' thread read this!)

MissAdventure Sat 05-Sep-20 14:13:25

I have to take my glasses off, first, so I can't see any ankles, knees or hairs.