Gransnet forums

Chat

I don't want a robot friend

(68 Posts)
annep1 Tue 08-Sep-20 02:30:25

Just wondering if anyone has views on this. My daughter sent me the link. She is shocked at the idea. I find it depressing.
www.theguardian.com/society/2020/sep/07/robots-used-uk-care-homes-help-reduce-loneliness

starbird Tue 08-Sep-20 14:31:37

Lancslass1 Could it be that the care home needs to have someone take the call and put it through - maybe even be around to retrieve phone afterwards? Perhaps they even monitor it?

PenJK50 Tue 08-Sep-20 14:31:51

I worked on a Saturday when I was 17 in a care home where I helped the nurses with their duties -washing them, serving their lunches etc. But what I remember most vividly was the gratitude for the fact that I was there and willing to read them letters from their families or maybe a chapter of a book.

I saw the item on BBC News last night with the interaction between the elderly gentleman and the robot. I have no problem with this as it seemed he was enjoying it but clearly it is no substitute for the human touch. However we are in various stages of lockdown and the saddest part of this moment in time is the fact that families cannot visit their loved ones so another solution has to be found.

Any idea is worth investigating but I do hope we can soon return to normal although I’m not very hopeful.

BlueBelle Tue 08-Sep-20 14:35:47

When mum was in a care home I used to visit every day for an hour before going home from work That left 23 hours She had dementia and often didn’t know me or only vaguely she had a doll that she treated just like a baby picking it up pushing its hair out of its eyes, rocking it, it wasn’t even a realistic looking doll but it was her baby once she got very angry and threw it across the room (I don’t think she ever did that with me ?)
She would have adored a cat or small dog or baby to react to her so although I agree it should never take the place of human touch I can see as an ADDITION it could be very helpful
Don’t wipe the idea out

Antonia Tue 08-Sep-20 14:41:14

Absolutely agree with Monica. It's complex though. As one ages, old friends die and it's hard to make new ones with whom you have something in common. Also, reaching out to someone for friendship can come across as being needy, intrusive or over familiar, which isn't the image many people want.
I am reminded of a recent thread about how cliquey Women's Institute members can be. This type of attitude makes it hard for people to join in events like these.

Lancslass1 Tue 08-Sep-20 14:59:41

Starbird,as I understood it the phone calls were to be made to people living alone and who would like to have a chat with someone.

suziewoozie Tue 08-Sep-20 15:20:37

I agree with those who see the robot as an addition not an instead of. It’s simply not true however that care home visits are impossible - the government needs to revisit its guidance and some care homes need to give their collective heads a wobble. The other aspect of care home visits is what it means to the visitor - even when the resident may not be aware or fully aware.

Westcoaster Tue 08-Sep-20 15:23:55

We saw this on the news last night and decided that whoever is left after the first pops the clogs should get a wee robot for company!

I do go out and about a bit (or used to pre-covid) but DH doesn't, so it would be perfect for him I think, specially if it could do things around the house too ... or even just remind him to change the bed etc!!! grin

BlueBelle Tue 08-Sep-20 16:18:15

I feel your answer is too black and white MOnica whilst I totally agree with your sentiments what about people who can’t relate to other humans either through dementia, mental health issues, or just having no one nearby what if they would get something g out of having a robot pet or a robot companion certainly better than nothing isn’t it especially if they were programmed to remind you of taking tablets etc
Not everyone has family nearby or friends my have all died off neighbours may not be good ones is it best to be isolated or have something What if family visit and do what they can but there are still long periods alone
It’s not one or the other surely it’s an addition

I think I d quite like a pet that didn’t poo or need walks if I was all alone In the world

Sadgrandma Tue 08-Sep-20 16:20:05

Did anyone see the TV series 'Humans' where everyone had an android home helper and an elderly man had an android carer? The androids developed consciousness and revolted. Is this the future?

GrumpyGran8 Tue 08-Sep-20 18:47:14

25Avalon

Have you read “Origin” by Dan Brown? The super computer in that makes you feel it’s human - the future of AI.

Having something to talk to seems to be better than nothing but so sad if that’s all there is.

You've just reminded me of "Robot & Frank", a film about an elderly retired jewel thief who is given a robot carer to look after him; missing his old trade, the man tricks the robot into helping him commit burglaries. It's both funny and sad,so look out for it.

annep1 Tue 08-Sep-20 19:34:31

I must watch the film some of you have recommended.
Good to read all the different views.
I initially felt just like Monica, and I still think that if they were used to replace human contact and interaction, then it would indeed be a sad reflection on how uncaring we had become.
I don't like the idea of technology taking over where human contact is possible and preferable. Older people want the warmth of human company as Monica described.
However, I can see that as an addition it could be useful. Thinking about it, I'm sure my own mum could have benefitted from a robot pet. It would have eased our minds when we had to leave her too. I
And it would be impossible for care homes to give residents attention all day, so it could supplement this and improve the wellbeing of residents with dementia.
My one fear would be someone plonking a robot in front of me, and my grandchildren laughing at granny talking to a machine. They once told me emphatically.. No one wants to be seen in Nandos with their granny! I would hate that.
But we are going to see an increase in people with dementia and many lonely older folk in the future and perhaps we have to think of new solutions. And if robots can be programmed to remind about pills etc then even better.

Aepgirl Wed 09-Sep-20 07:18:32

Loneliness is probably one of the worse emotions anybody at any age, can experience - most of us know what loneliness was like during lockdown. It must be multiplied many times if you know it is most likely to be permanent. Surely a robot is not the answer, and it is so sad that it could even be considered. There should be a better way.

Mbuya Wed 09-Sep-20 07:24:40

I agree that the ideal situation is human contact. However, the increase in the ageing population in Japan, for example, has spearheaded the development of sophisticated robots-even robotic dogs as companions. Although costly, robots are an option we have to seriously consider for the future. We are increasingly being occupied by laptops, phones etc. So robots can be seen as a natural progression.

Kim19 Wed 09-Sep-20 09:22:55

I wouldn't be against it. Alexa with a body.

ExD Wed 09-Sep-20 12:14:56

Its a bit like a (very expensive) toy. But I'd feel better if the money was going towards employing a real person to do these tasks.

Summerfly Thu 10-Sep-20 14:23:05

I think it would be great to start with, but once the novelty wears off it would become more than obvious that a robot has no feelings. Nothing can replace the warmth of a human being to chat to or take comfort from.

Davida1968 Thu 17-Sep-20 20:05:50

Thanks to TerryM mentioning "robot cats" (page one) I had one sent to my elderly mum, who has dementia, is in her late 90s, and lives in a care home. Mum is delighted with it and takes it everywhere with her! We don't know whether she knows it's not real, but truly this doesn't matter - it's such a comfort to her. (And to me!)