Gransnet forums

Chat

Why do.......?

(87 Posts)
Bluebellwould Tue 08-Sep-20 14:33:47

Manufacturers make ground black/white pepper pots with such large holes? I don’t want a dessert spoonful on my dinner ?.
What other things strike you as stupid?

nipsmum Wed 09-Sep-20 18:07:34

I once had to use a hammer and chisel to get into a bottle of tablets that came as a prescription from the chemist. They usually come in bubble packs in s cardboard box. The chemist said they had to be childproof and had no reply when I said the usual ones were not childproof.

Bazza Wed 09-Sep-20 17:21:28

In University Challenge why won’t Jeremy Paxman give the answer to the last question when the bell goes for the end of the programme? I just need to be sure that I’ve got it right?

Kryptonite Wed 09-Sep-20 17:15:57

Cucumber wrapped in tight fitting plastic even though it's already in a plastic wrapper.

ss1024 Wed 09-Sep-20 17:12:06

Hard plastic packaging which is difficult to get open. Also, despise excessive packaging as well as a multitude of advertising tags on new clothing.

Bathsheba Wed 09-Sep-20 17:07:41

Why are jars of hot chocolate much taller than the length of a teaspoon, which is what the instructions tell you to measure the stuff with? Impossible to spoon out when the jar gets low.
And why are many herb and spice jars too narrow for a teaspoon, or a standard measuring spoon?

hicaz46 Wed 09-Sep-20 17:04:38

I love shampoo bars but not conditioner bars which seem very ineffective. Switched to bars to try to stop using plastic, but have had to buy conditioner. Why don’t more suppliers use refills?

4allweknow Wed 09-Sep-20 16:39:56

Small feint print on items, nightmare. Why to pump action containers always have about an inch of liquid stuck in the container that the "straw" doesn't reach. Absolute waste.

elleks Wed 09-Sep-20 15:54:36

@Wheniwasyourage; and Marmite jars!

rowyn Wed 09-Sep-20 15:32:54

Jillybird, I assume that you don;t know where you got it from!! Can we have a picture?
And Rufus 2, easier said than done! Grandchildren 200 miles away and I don't think anyone would recommend me challenging a random child with a bottle of bleach!!
Bluebellwould, I'm not sure if we're thinking of the same thing, but I find that an old fashioned tin opener will often lift a jar lid enough to be able to turn it.

Knittynatter Wed 09-Sep-20 15:16:22

Those loops of ribbon that you are cutting off your clothes - they are very useful to crafters - especially card makers! ?

Witzend Wed 09-Sep-20 13:24:19

Oh, yes, never mind children - so much packaging is me-proof!

Those of you who use shampoo bars, how about conditioner bars? Are they as good/easy to find?
I have to use conditioner (currently Simple, very nice) or my hair’s a nightmare.

Mealybug Wed 09-Sep-20 12:39:09

Why does the print rub off on packets of food so you can't read the cooking instructions.

eazybee Wed 09-Sep-20 12:27:05

The several folds of unreadable labels sewn inside M & S pants, and why?

Ladyleftfieldlover Wed 09-Sep-20 12:23:34

seacliff

Why do they sell matching hair shampoo and conditioner with conditioner being in smaller size. I run out of it when shampoo still going. They must assume the majority use more shampoo than conditioner.

And why don't they put a big S or C on bottles so I can easily see what's what with no glasses on under shower.

I put shampoo on the right of my shower holder thing and conditioner on the left.

Bluebellwould Wed 09-Sep-20 12:21:58

The lids where you have to press down and turn, the clicking when it goes wrong ?.

Rumpunch Wed 09-Sep-20 12:20:09

TV has all sorts of problems - shrinking credits, loud music over speech and hardly any light in in a dark scene so you cannot see what is happening!
some manufacturers now put their shampoo and conditioner in either different shaped bottles or have one that stands on their lid !
But vacuum packed items can be so difficult to open with no obvious way in.

Rufus2 Wed 09-Sep-20 12:16:09

Never mind childproof - they're arthritic proof!!
rowyn Find yourself a child! They'll have it open in a flash! no arthritic wrists involved. hmm\

Lexisgranny Wed 09-Sep-20 12:07:52

Another thought........ I take a number of tablets, but by far the teeniest tiniest one is that for Rheumatoid Arthritis. Difficult to pick up for anyone, but a major challenge for anyone with RA in their hands.

Lindylou57 Wed 09-Sep-20 11:55:56

Shrink the screen and talk over the end credits on TV? I find it so annoying especially if I want to check the name of the actor or title or singer of a song used in the production!

MissAdventure Wed 09-Sep-20 11:50:59

The long number on my debit card WAS silver.
Now it's wearing off, in parts, and I have to find a source of light, and squint whilst I angle it all different ways.

Jillybird Wed 09-Sep-20 11:46:17

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

grandtanteJE65 Wed 09-Sep-20 11:45:27

Why are clothes labels sewn into a seam, so you either have to cut the label, which leaves a scratchy edge that frays, or unpick the seam?

And why are they all synthetic even when stating 100% cotton!

nipsmum Wed 09-Sep-20 11:41:13

Oh I so agree with all of these things. Are they only problems as we get older or do we just notice them more.

rowyn Wed 09-Sep-20 11:28:59

Those bottles of bleach where you have to squeeze both sides of the cap whilst gripping and turning as well. Never mind childproof - they're arthritic proof!! And despite a lot of searching, no one has come up with a device for opening them, other than wandering outside and challenging any passing stranger to have a go!

Tweedle24 Wed 09-Sep-20 11:27:09

Why do they shrink the credits at the end if a programme on the tv to a small square in the corner and use the rest of the screen to advertise another programme or introduce the next one?