Gransnet forums

Chat

Why do.......?

(87 Posts)
Bluebellwould Tue 08-Sep-20 14:33:47

Manufacturers make ground black/white pepper pots with such large holes? I don’t want a dessert spoonful on my dinner ?.
What other things strike you as stupid?

Callistemon Thu 17-Sep-20 11:25:40

Four for the price of three on the Tesco site Spangler!

Spangler Thu 17-Sep-20 08:17:57

Why does Morrisons sell their quarter size wine bottles for two pounds, but sell three for five pounds?

Why can I never resist such temptation? I'm not exactly short of a quid, so you would think, "just get one bottle for two pounds. But no, I can resist anything, except temptation.

Grammaretto Thu 17-Sep-20 08:08:27

Wheniwasyourage absolutely agree about people who don't indicate. including DH
He says "there were no cars coming". Yeah, no cars but maybe a person walking or waiting to cross.

Eloethan Wed 16-Sep-20 15:57:03

Why don't they put tomato ketchup in jar, rather than glass bottles? The squeezy bottles are much easier but I have read that there is chemical migration from plastic into the foods we eat.

Luckylegs Wed 16-Sep-20 14:14:19

Those loops on clothing - I always cut them off and throw them in a drawer, assuming one day I will find a use for them! I’ve chucked them all now but it does seem a waste. Is it required by law to have them on?

Wheniwasyourage Wed 16-Sep-20 13:58:42

Why do so many plastic food containers (yes, Tesco, I'm looking at you and your own-brands (other supermarkets are available, but I don't have access to them, so don't know if they're as bad)) say either "Check local recycling" or "Widely recycled", but do not tell you which number of plastic they are? Our council, like others, will only take 1s or 2s, so we need to know!! angry

Callistemon Mon 14-Sep-20 19:44:04

Oh No!
I didn't highlight that - it did it all by itself!!

Sorry.

Callistemon Mon 14-Sep-20 19:43:14

Rechargeable toothbrushes.
They wobble then fall down.

Tiny print on shampoo and conditioner bottles.

TK MAXX labels (come off tiny bit by tiny bit if they come off at all).

The man with the awful voice who does adverts for confused.com - ban him!)

watermeadow Mon 14-Sep-20 18:02:49

A whole book full of labels on a tiny pair of child’s pants.
Minute print, sometimes white on yellow, on instructions. Oh, silly me, I’m meant to carry a magnifying glass at all times. Plus scissors, to open all the packaging I can’t tear.
Ring pulls I can’t pull, on cans which you can’t open with a can opener.
Cats who love one food so you buy loads then they refuse to touch it ever again.

Wheniwasyourage Mon 14-Sep-20 13:08:29

Why do so many drivers not regard pedestrians as fellow road users? I am fed up with waiting to cross a road and finding that the car I am waiting for is turning off, but the driver doesn't think that I am worth indicating to. (Perhaps the wee soul is worried about flattening his/her battery by over-using the indicators.) Hope that makes sense...

moggie57 Sun 13-Sep-20 15:18:57

music used as back ground on tv programmes/films ..trying to hear whats being said and all i can hear is the music..

Georgesgran Thu 10-Sep-20 19:24:16

Thanks Bathsheba - I did see the shelf, but everyone else was struggling with those little wheeled baskets with long handle at the checkouts.

It’s fine if you’ve popped in for a couple of items, but I won’t be going back.

TrendyNannie6 Thu 10-Sep-20 18:53:41

Small print on packaging and looking everywhere for the best before dates ?

Kate63 Thu 10-Sep-20 18:45:51

My issue is the inability to read red type on black background.
Doesn't make sense!
I agree about the minute writing on packaging

cupaffull Thu 10-Sep-20 13:05:11

Jillybird

rowyn, same problem here. I have, though, an 'opener' which is intended for jar tops and find if I use the smallest ring, which has an additional 'nose' (a couple of lumps sticking out) I can squeeze in just the right place to release the "child-proof" mechanism. Two neighbours come to me to borrow it occasionally, both of whom would buy one of their own if only I knew where I got it from...

My mum always used a door jam to open tight bottles . I've just tried it on a press type medicine container and it works.. Remember mums doorjambs were a bit marked tho

cupaffull Thu 10-Sep-20 12:26:09

Why is tinned corned beef still in those ridiculous cans that have to be opened with a "key".
Elf and Safety have missed a trick I feel.

Why is there not a flat back to a toothbrush so it doesn't topple sideways when its had toothpaste put on. If you put the brush down for a minute, you're guaranteed a sticky mess.

blubber Thu 10-Sep-20 12:22:26

I use a shampoo bar and conditioner bar from the "Soap Mine". Hand made in Beddgelert in north Wales and superior to anything I have tried previously.

Bathsheba Thu 10-Sep-20 12:08:58

Georgesgran

Why do the checkout staff at Lidl and Aldi seems to be on time trials? Items are hurled past the scanner and deposited on a tiny shelf at breakneck speed! Packing is almost impossible before they’re demanding payment.
A friend introduced me because of the low prices (obscure makes) but I gave up with it and will stick to Sainsbury’s and M&S with occasional forays into Waitrose, if (and when) I ever venture into Newcastle.

They have a shelf all along the windows across from the checkouts - you are expected to throw your items straight back in your trolley, then go over to the shelf and pack. This speeds up the checkouts, which all helps to keep the prices down.
Unfortunately they don't have signage to that effect, so people just keep on packing at the checkout and holding everyone up.

JackyB Thu 10-Sep-20 10:59:03

Why does the writing on labels (bras in this case) wash out just when you want to look up the size and model number. It takes ages to find a bra that fits, and when you want to buy another one, you can't read the label!

Georgesgran Thu 10-Sep-20 10:55:16

Why do the checkout staff at Lidl and Aldi seems to be on time trials? Items are hurled past the scanner and deposited on a tiny shelf at breakneck speed! Packing is almost impossible before they’re demanding payment.
A friend introduced me because of the low prices (obscure makes) but I gave up with it and will stick to Sainsbury’s and M&S with occasional forays into Waitrose, if (and when) I ever venture into Newcastle.

Bluebellwould Thu 10-Sep-20 09:45:30

Constant updates on computer, when I have to press more buttons than before/can’t find anything.

Lucca Thu 10-Sep-20 08:53:47

Bazza

In University Challenge why won’t Jeremy Paxman give the answer to the last question when the bell goes for the end of the programme? I just need to be sure that I’ve got it right?

Google!

Gingster Thu 10-Sep-20 08:30:05

Subtitles on the tv obscure the picture and sometimes even In the middle of the screen. Why,!

Janet29 Thu 10-Sep-20 08:17:33

Why do shampoo and conditioner bottles look almost identical?

I put a dot of nail varnish on the conditioner, problem solved!

Alioop Wed 09-Sep-20 19:36:13

Open packaging of a large tub and find its only filled two thirds of the way up. Make the packaging smaller & save money!