Gransnet forums

Chat

S and P or not

(135 Posts)
Lucca Wed 09-Sep-20 07:12:45

when I married my ex he automatically put salt on his food as soon as the plate was in front of him. I asked him why he didn’t taste it first. So he got out of the habit! My mum always said it was rude to the cook as it implied they had not seasoned the food during cooking. My current bloke did the same and also stopped (I’m very bossy). I actually never put salt and pepper on the table. Does anyone still shake salt over their food as a matter of course?

hallgreenmiss Wed 09-Sep-20 09:59:22

Spangler

When you have a very expensive set of Aga cruets, you show them off!

Ooooo get you ?

Marjgran Wed 09-Sep-20 10:04:45

Automatic salting sounds rather old fashioned! I always salt potato and eggs, and a pinch in baking / porridge etc. Oversalting is not good for us but I think the dangers of any salt are being questioned.

Maggiemaybe Wed 09-Sep-20 10:07:53

Interesting to read about the salt tablets. My dad suffered from awful leg cramps, and was prescribed these. They worked for him.

win Wed 09-Sep-20 10:14:29

I love salt and have masses on everything, there is never enough season on anything for me. It is not doing me any harm, I do not have high blood pressure am skinny and well. Touch wood.

trustgone4sure Wed 09-Sep-20 10:14:52

I don`t use salt or pepper at all,never have.
And i find it very rude when people put s or p on their food without tasting it first.
Before Covid19 we were in an all you can eat Chinese buffet and this man put so much salt on his food i couldn`t help but wonder if he could actually taste the food itself.

MiniMoon Wed 09-Sep-20 10:19:56

I rarely need to put salt on food either at home (where I have cooked it) or when eating out. DH has high blood pressure so I've cut down on salt and only use a very little in cooking.
We do have both black and white pepper though. I especially love black pepper on vegetables.

Coco51 Wed 09-Sep-20 10:22:24

I never put salt in cooking so people can choose for themselves. I use low sodium salt on my meals because anything else is too salty. There’s way too much salt in roasted nuts and crisps for my liking.

Mazzy9 Wed 09-Sep-20 10:22:52

Yes I do. I don't cook with salt but if I don't have any salt I get terrible leg cramps. I have always eaten a lot of salt and feel my body needs it. At 74 with bp of 120 over 70 I'm doing ok.

quizqueen Wed 09-Sep-20 10:23:14

I haven't had salt in the house for years. I prefer the taste of the actual food.

jaylucy Wed 09-Sep-20 10:25:24

My mother was a bit of a nightmare with salt in cooking - she always reckoned that you had to "put enough in so you can taste it" and on one occassion, she put so much salt in the broccoli it was inedible!
My dad always added salt without tasting - maybe it is a generational thing - he reckoned that during WW2, most food was so bland that you had to add salt !
Since then, I don't add salt to cooking - use herbs and sometimes pepper instead and other condiments such as Worcestershire sauce has more than enough salt in it anyway!
I tend to use Lo Salt - sorry, can't eat roasties, chips or egg without salt that I do put on after cooking !

jenni123 Wed 09-Sep-20 10:35:08

I do, I always put salt on my food before tasting and I have never found it too salty. I do use himalayan pink salt as I was told it is better for you.

EllanVannin Wed 09-Sep-20 10:35:51

Salt is used in saline drips to rehydrate patients. Those who had gastro problems or a keto episode in diabetics. It acts as a fluid balance to replace salt loss in the body, so we need salt but in small doses, particularly in hot weather.

Purpledaffodil Wed 09-Sep-20 10:38:41

I stopped salting food when cooking when it was also liquidised for baby food in 1978! Rarely add now except a little in mashed potatoes. DH used to be horrified at the Rotarians who salted their dinner liberally without tasting first. ?

Jaxjacky Wed 09-Sep-20 10:45:44

I don’t salt when cooking and we use Losalt at the table, OH always uses, I do occasionally. But I’m dreadful for sauce, especially mint.

henetha Wed 09-Sep-20 10:48:20

I don't use salt due to high blood pressure. But I like pepper on almost everything.

Witzend Wed 09-Sep-20 10:53:12

People’s tastes do vary. I do sometimes add a little S, and often lots of P - dh rarely adds either.
IMO it’s a bit presumptuous of the cook to think that everyone’s taste buds are the same as theirs. Or that they ought to be.
I always put S and P on the table.

paddyanne Wed 09-Sep-20 10:53:13

I always put S&P on the table ,I think it would be very arrogant to believe my taste in seasoning is everyone else's.I have a friend who used to bring chilli sauce with her as she liked everything extra spicy.Was I offended ,not a bit .Its her who eats it not me so not down to me to dictate what she does.

I use salt when cooking ,and I like a lot of pepper on anything with cheese

Gwenisgreat1 Wed 09-Sep-20 10:54:41

My DH automatically 'seasons' his food without tasting it. I've suggested he should at least taste it first, but as usual he knows best!!

Tweedle24 Wed 09-Sep-20 10:55:24

Escoffier is said to have thrown a temper tantrum when someone either added or asked for salt. He said he did not expect his guests to cook at the table.

I was brought up not to put salt or pepper on a meal until tasted. I was also told to put it in a neat pile at the side of the plate, not sprinkle it over the meal. I suppose that goes back to the days when salt was put on the table in a little salt cellar with a sooon.

MissAdventure Wed 09-Sep-20 10:55:40

It seems a bit strange to put salt and pepper out, then consider it rude if someone uses them.

I have lots and lots of pepper, and a bit of salt.

Tweedle24 Wed 09-Sep-20 10:56:16

SPOON, not sooon

Ngaio1 Wed 09-Sep-20 10:57:12

I use salt and pepper during cooling. I would never add salt and/or pepper to a dish someone else had cooked until i had tasted it. I was taught to put a little salt on the side of the plate to use and Never to shake over food.

ninathenana Wed 09-Sep-20 11:09:17

Only thing I add salt to at the table is chips.
I use salt and pepper sparingly when cooking

geekesse Wed 09-Sep-20 11:16:26

After many years in the Arabian Gulf, I got used to adding a pinch of salt to fizzy drinks and squash. When I first went, we had daily salt tablets, but the company tropical medicine doc said it was better to take smaller amounts of salt in food and drink. I still haven’t quite accustomed myself to unsalted coke, Fanta and barley water.

SillyNanny321 Wed 09-Sep-20 11:20:00

Remember years ago when cooking dinner for my DM & DF. Mashing potatoes when he asked if I could use salt in them one day. Told him it is easy to add salt after cooking but if no one else liked salt in their mash it could not be taken out after cooking. He was a very intelligent man but could not get his head around the idea that some of us do not like salt in everything! So guess it is an age thing.