Gransnet forums

Chat

S and P or not

(135 Posts)
Lucca Wed 09-Sep-20 07:12:45

when I married my ex he automatically put salt on his food as soon as the plate was in front of him. I asked him why he didn’t taste it first. So he got out of the habit! My mum always said it was rude to the cook as it implied they had not seasoned the food during cooking. My current bloke did the same and also stopped (I’m very bossy). I actually never put salt and pepper on the table. Does anyone still shake salt over their food as a matter of course?

BlueSky Sat 06-Feb-21 18:18:31

Hetty after avoiding salt all my adult life because of high BP, I found out my salt level was low. When I mentioned to the GP that I don’t use salt she asked why and said it only needs to be avoided/restricted if advised by the consultant!

M0nica Sat 06-Feb-21 18:20:55

I have never put salt and pepper on the table. If anyone wants it, they have to ask for it. I have also rarely ever used it in cooking.

TerriBull Sat 06-Feb-21 18:25:47

I don't put salt on the table, but I love a bit of sea salt, I sometimes roast new potatoes tossed in oil, sea salt and Rosemary, but I'm aware that salt isn't really good for us, so don't do it that often.

TerriBull Sat 06-Feb-21 18:29:20

If I were to think about it, I really like certain salty foods like anchovies for example, not everyone's cup of tea.

FannyCornforth Sat 06-Feb-21 19:59:19

Spangler

When you have a very expensive set of Aga cruets, you show them off!

Ha ha! This is sooo Spangler. grin

sodapop Sat 06-Feb-21 20:15:21

The idea of insulting the cook is about trying the food first to see how it tastes before adding seasoning. If you try it first then want to add salt or pepper that's fine. That's the rule in our house anyway.

crazyH Sat 06-Feb-21 20:18:50

Spangler, what’s the 3rd one for ?

FannyCornforth Sat 06-Feb-21 20:25:10

crazyH

Spangler, what’s the 3rd one for ?

Don't tempt me! smile
To be honest I wondered that H, but on closer inspection I think that those are the available colours.
(Spangler left the building a while ago.)

muse Sat 06-Feb-21 20:52:27

S+P always on the table. I don't season anything I cook but do put sea salt on eggs and tomatoes. Pepper on quite a few things. Enhances the flavour for me.
Husband has salt and pepper on everything. He's no BP problems but gets cramp attacks. Not through dehydration/exercise. As well as salt on food he will drink a salt solution when in absolute agony with cramps in both his legs as well as a magnesium spray/rub, which helps slightly.