Gransnet forums

Chat

S and P or not

(135 Posts)
Lucca Wed 09-Sep-20 07:12:45

when I married my ex he automatically put salt on his food as soon as the plate was in front of him. I asked him why he didn’t taste it first. So he got out of the habit! My mum always said it was rude to the cook as it implied they had not seasoned the food during cooking. My current bloke did the same and also stopped (I’m very bossy). I actually never put salt and pepper on the table. Does anyone still shake salt over their food as a matter of course?

SueDonim Wed 09-Sep-20 14:26:15

I never use salt in cooking, except when making bread in my bread maker, as I’m told it’s needed to make it rise.

My Dh sometimes uses Losalt on his food but I only have salt on boiled eggs. I did accidentally put salt on scrambled eggs the other day, as I hadn’t noticed I’d picked up the salt grinder instead of the pepper grinder. I always put both on the table even though they don’t get used very often. confused

When my Dh was in his 30’s he put on a fair bit of weight at one time. He read that reducing salt intake could help so he did just that. The weight fell off him, about two stone in all, and he’s never been that heavy again. I wish it worked for me.

We never took salt tablets living in the tropics but I’d make my own rehydration mix if we felt a bit dehydrated. It’s a mix of salt and sugar dissolved in water.

kjmpde Wed 09-Sep-20 14:47:37

i think you must be from north of B'ham? i say that as i understand that it is considered rude up North but not so when below Brum

BrandyGran Wed 09-Sep-20 14:49:43

Why does the salt cellar have one hole and the pepper pot have several holes?
Will post answer later.

Lucca Wed 09-Sep-20 14:54:19

kjmpde

i think you must be from north of B'ham? i say that as i understand that it is considered rude up North but not so when below Brum

Never heard that

Starblaze Wed 09-Sep-20 14:59:29

I actually don't add salt or pepper to cooking unless it's in the recipe and we all season afterwards depending on taste... I think this comes from many years of cooking for children

Meta Wed 09-Sep-20 16:14:20

We don’t add salt when cooking but I add Himalayan pink salt afterwards - it has cured my leg cramps. Also I have been told it is not good to have too little salt if you have low blood pressure.

4allweknow Wed 09-Sep-20 16:34:10

Always taste first and in reality rarely add salt. Sometimes a but of pepper. Always remember how Joan Collins asked for salt and pepper in a Gordon Ramsay restaurant and he told her to leave. Considered it an insult to his cooking!

hicaz46 Wed 09-Sep-20 16:54:55

I couldn’t eat tomatoes or chips without salt. I do use a salt and pepper grinder at mealtime because I know our veg won’t have been seasoned as they are always cooked in a steamer. When eating out I always rely on the restaurant to get the seasoning right so happy not to see it on the table.

Kim19 Wed 09-Sep-20 17:07:29

Not at all rude to the cook. We all gave different tastebuds and I'm sure any cook (worth her salt!!) simply wants people to enjoy what they're eating. Let's face it, a lot of consumers may have actually spoiled it for themselves by not tasting first.

ayse Wed 09-Sep-20 17:09:24

Witzend,

I lived for a while in Turkey and couldn’t understand why I was getting cramp in my sleep. Someone suggested I should eat a couple of salted biscuits daily. Bingo, the cramps went.

DH got sunstroke in Turkey. I remember my daughter’s friend had a bad case of Delhi belly whilst she was travelling. The doctor advised her to drink Coca-Cola. I remembered this and made DH drink Coca Cola. When the Turkish doctor arrived he told me that DH would have been hospitalised had I not made him drink C-C. Apparently it has just the right balance of salt and sugar for rehydration.

I rarely add salt to anything except eggs.

cupcake1 Wed 09-Sep-20 18:08:16

I never salt anything which worked against me when I was given a date for my hip replacement op. Three times it was put off because my sodium levels were to low. I had to eat gammon steak, pasties and highly laden salt dishes to try and bring my levels up. I really dislike salt so it was a very unpleasant experience! I’m on blood pressure tablets as well but the doctors still insisted they would not do the op whilst my sodium was low. Perhaps that’s why I get dizzy at times as I soon reverted back to my no salt routine unless food prepared by either family or restaurants (and the occasional M&S meal blush) had added it.

Clevedon Wed 09-Sep-20 18:15:50

Never cook with salt, not on the table but available if it's asked for. Personally I only put salt on chips or roast potatoes

Graygirl Wed 09-Sep-20 19:09:32

I steam all my veg, most of my fish . Always put a pinch or two of salt in steamer have done this after my first stint in kitchen with a Polish chef, he lobed things at everyone. I can't repeat his words of he saw a salt pot reached for before tasting . He could say words in about a dozen languages .He had me running to get something one day I fell ,told me that was a double lesson, never run in a kitchen, and always dry a floor after washing, bit of topic but reading this brought back very happy memories from half a century ago

Chewbacca Wed 09-Sep-20 19:11:48

My father used to chuck sprinkle so much salt and white pepper on his meals, before he'd even tasted it, that it made the poor unfortunate person sitting opposite him, convulse into paroxisms of sneezing. Possibly as a result of this, I very rarely season my food once cooked, apart from a little black pepper on the occassional pizza. And I detest salty food.

Urmstongran Wed 09-Sep-20 19:40:49

Always need salt on chips Lucca!
White pepper sprinkled into a boiled egg.
No point tasting either first - they just NEED it!

You seem to have ‘trained’ your men.
I’d have been up to the kitchen cupboard for my condiments.

NfkDumpling Wed 09-Sep-20 20:12:25

Roast potatoes and chips taste better with a light sprinkling of salt and I use it in bread making. Black pepper on the other hand I use rather a lot.

Fennel Wed 09-Sep-20 20:34:25

I like this old film where the poor man has his one meat ball but makes sure he has plenty of salt on it:
www.youtube.com/watch?list=RDli0qPwn4U8Y&v=li0qPwn4U8Y&feature=emb_rel_end

Fennel Wed 09-Sep-20 20:37:11

ps @1.54

Grandmama Wed 09-Sep-20 20:49:13

We stopped cooking with salt when the DDs were being weaned because they ate the same food as we did. I use a little salt when cooking potatoes but for nothing else. We don't have salt or pepper on the table unless a non-family person is here for a meal (a rare occurrence!)

I have heard chefs complain about adding salt before tasting the food.

Chewbacca Wed 09-Sep-20 20:52:25

Fennel that's brilliant, really very funny! grin I'll be singing "One Meatball" to the the GC next time we have them!

Juicylucy Wed 09-Sep-20 21:11:47

Love salt and put it on all my dinners, pepper depending what it is. I do put it on before I’ve tasted the food.

Hawera1 Wed 09-Sep-20 23:53:39

I think we have to.leave behind all those etiquette laws now. Everything has gone out the window. I think that if people like salt and it makes their meal enjoyable then just let them do it. I don't think you should take it personally. I too reach for the salt but I don't add any while cooking.

Marmight Thu 10-Sep-20 03:08:54

My Aunt, who lived to 103, always plastered her food with salt without tasting first. Didn’t seem to do her any harm. I like a bit of salt on my food, depending what it is. DD1 never uses salt in cooking or has it on the table. I’ve eaten many a delicious but bland meal, desperate to add a little salt to bring out the taste
‘A little of what you fancy does you good’

Spangler Thu 10-Sep-20 07:22:40

hallgreenmiss Wed 09-Sep-20 09:59:22
Spangler

When you have a very expensive set of Aga cruets, you show them off!

Ooooo get you ?

So glad you saw it as tongue in cheek. They just appeared one day. When I was told their price I had to top my wine glass up, nigh chocked on it.

Lucca Thu 10-Sep-20 07:29:32

Urmstongran

Always need salt on chips Lucca!
White pepper sprinkled into a boiled egg.
No point tasting either first - they just NEED it!

You seem to have ‘trained’ your men.
I’d have been up to the kitchen cupboard for my condiments.

In fact I didn’t have to “train” them they each realised it was daft to chuck salt on before tasting and had never thought of it like that.
I don’t understand those who say they don’t season while cooking ? So if you’re making a casserole for example you don’t season it ? So how come recipes say season with s and p ?
I agree an egg needs salt but never cook chips and I don’t salt them when eating out.